What Phoenix area trails to ride when it is wet?- Mtbr.com
    Bloodied but Unbowed

What Phoenix area trails to ride when it is wet?

"It" being the trails.

The primary concern is damage to the trails by making them rutty or needlessly eroded. Are there any that are better suited to wet riding conditions than others in that regard?

All the ones I can think of seem to be best left to dry to avoid tearing them up.

Thanks.
    "This is my favorite section...watch your step..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler
    "It" being the trails.

The primary concern is damage to the trails by making them rutty or needlessly eroded. Are there any that are better suited to wet riding conditions than otehrs in that regard?

All the ones I can think of seem to be best left to dry to avoid tearing them up.

Thanks.
    Personally, it's days like ths when I really, really.....really wish Phoenix had an indoor mountain park similar to Ray's in Ohio. Anybody know how one would go about buidling such a park?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Personally, it's days like ths when I really, really.....really wish Phoenix had an indoor mountain park similar to Ray's in Ohio. Anybody know how one would go about buidling such a park?

A Ray's in Phoenix ?

Let's discuss...

Elitest thrill junkie
    I rode SoMo (National) the day after huge downpours hit the area, was perfect hardpack. Just a couple puddles up top and that was about it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    It's not really raining that hard to be too concerned about trail damage (IMHO). Now if it had rained for days and days then you might want to worry. The rain will make the trails tacky (for a change) and make it prime for ripping. Shred ON!

EDR
    All the crushed granite over hardpack trails are perfect during/after a rain. Hawes is real nice at that time. I'll be hitting up National tomorrow morning, hope is rains a bit tonight or early tomorrow!

Shovel Ready
    Anybody know how one would go about buidling such a park?
    Simply add an earmark to any appropriation's bill. Seems to work for every other ridiculous project.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome. :)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Dreamy Draw

The Dreamy Draw trails seem to handle rain well since most of them consist of a layer of gravel over bedrock.

My other ride is your mom
    I have nothing more to add to this subject..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I have nothing more to add to this subject..
    +++0

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by bweide
    The Dreamy Draw trails seem to handle rain well since most of them consist of a layer of gravel over bedrock.
    I may just stick to some subset of the usual PMP trails then and see how it goes.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Rain has zero affect on the trails here.

Indoor Park, great Idea! We should build golf courses on all of the trails and just ride indoors.
    Will the park have virtual dogs off leashes and virtual hikers to throw virtual rocks at ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milos'
    Rain has zero affect on the trails here.

Indoor Park, great Idea! We should build golf courses on all of the trails and just ride indoors.
    Will the park have virtual dogs off leashes and virtual hikers to throw virtual rocks at ?
    and I almost forgot the virtual little blue bags and days where they turn out the lights so we can explode our Magicshines indoors.

mtbr member
    Thursday Night Ride TONIGHT on the West-Side (12-16-10) pedals off at 6:30 pm.

call for directions / questions / concerns: (623) 256-3993
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

mtbr member
    Hawes trail system soaks up lot's of water before saturation. granite is the trick.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey, you forgot to mention how well in worked in some other city that has neither the topography nor the climate of Phoenix.

But no worries, you can come back in a month and basically ask the same question.....from a slightly different angle.

Now that we've let you down, you must also now tell us how Phoenicians just don't get it maaaaaannnnnn.....and you can't understand why we don't all think like someone who arrived yesterday on the turnip truck.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    How do you guys know about rays? I didn't know it was that famous. Ray's is about the only good thing in Ohio and was always a great destination from Penn. Might actually do well in Phoenix if it featured AC in the summer for the folks that can't take the heat.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

Give it a crank
    I just avoid slippery rocks when riding in the rain, and try to ride everything when the sun comes out, the trails are at their best after a rain around here. It's all rock of some form or sand, you can't damage it, it'll hurt if you try hard enough!

"No Clue Crew"
    Get OUT there and ride today, it's going to be FAST!!!!!!!!!!.......................Drew

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hawes is nice when the trail is wet. It's mostly granite and kitty litter anyway so it soaks the rain nicely and makes for a good surface.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    HOLBERT. No dirt on the trail to get wet.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erBob
    Hawes is nice when the trail is wet. It's mostly granite and kitty litter anyway so it soaks the rain nicely and makes for a good surface.
    Parts of it seem to have a lot of sand too though, but they are brief crossings I suppose.

Alive and Lurkin'
    Just got back from a ride in PMP. Straight up 8 to the A/W House then a basic tour of the 40th St area including a run up Lower Cheese and down Voaz. So fun...waay super tacky!

Broke my chain on the way up 302 to Lower Cheese, and lost my spare power link in the gravel still was able to finish the ride though, I guess its parts price surfin' time.
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Give it a crank
    +1 at PMP, did another big park loop, 1 otb, 1 rock bath, 1cc or less blood lost, great workout.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Just got back from tacky EMPTY pmp trails. Best riding so far this winter out there.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider
    +1 at PMP, did another big park loop, 1 otb, 1 rock bath, 1cc or less blood lost, great workout.

That's an awesome loop. Looks like you traversed 8B if I am seeing it right. Curious how that is on a MTB.

Your 33 mph top speed is kinda cool too.

EDIT: PM sent.
    Last edited by DesertCrawler; 12-17-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Just got back from tacky EMPTY pmp trails. Best riding so far this winter out there.
    I was supposed to be out there yesterday. Failed due to other commitments. Same today except this time it was work getting in thew way. That's 3 whole days without a ride.

Yes, I am quite unapologetically whining.

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler
    That's an awesome loop. Looks like you traversed 8B if I am seeing it right. Curious how that is on a MTB.

Your 33 mph top speed is kinda cool too.

EDIT: PM sent.
    8B is hike only, there might be 50 ft. of it that's rideable, ugly all over, it's not part of the loop. Instead, the goes along 200A then north on 8A. There's more info in this thread too.

NOTE: the crossing onto Gardenia Dr. crosses private property, access to mountain bikers has not been granted. Make the crossing on the park trailheads the end of 22nd St. and along SR51 instead.

I uploaded the gps log to EveryTrail for all to see and download. Embeded here too:

Whole loop around Piestewa Peak

EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Arizona
    Last edited by Mtn-Rider; 12-18-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider
    8B is hike only, there might be 50 ft. of it that's rideable, ugly all over, it's not part of the loop. Instead, the goes along 200A then north on 8A. There's more info in this thread too.

I uploaded the gps log to EveryTrail for all to see and download. Embeded here too:

Thank you!

mtbr member
    just did a solo night ride on Deem Hills and the conditions are 10+ after the rain yesterday
    and.......the trail 3 is now complete and ready......packed, fast , fun, great climbs/descents, and lots of switchbacks. Rode it twice and had to do it again it was so fun!

Couldn't believe I had the place to myself

mtbr member
    That is amazing. I'm still cracking up about it. Nice work!

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Just got up, going to ride South Mountain today but on a geard bike (Eewwwwww!) Don't know what trails yet, just going to ride, ride, ride and then eat.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer
    Just got up, going to ride South Mountain today but on a geard bike (Eewwwwww!) Don't know what trails yet, just going to ride, ride, ride and then eat.

update; raining the morning of in north Glendale but dry at south mountain, also took Geronimo for the first time, fast & fun, buddy of mine wanted to try a newer section that turns off before the boyscout camp and that section was not too good, maybe on a big bike but even then too much walking for me. no good start & when I had a good section the bottom was too tight of a turn with too big of a drop for the angle. next time I'll go through the boyscout camp and see how that goes. still a fun nice day, the clouds cleared and turned out to be a great day.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer
    update; raining the morning of in north Glendale but dry at south mountain, also took Geronimo for the first time, fast & fun, buddy of mine wanted to try a newer section that turns off before the boyscout camp and that section was not too good, maybe on a big bike but even then too much walking for me. no good start & when I had a good section the bottom was too tight of a turn with too big of a drop for the angle. next time I'll go through the boyscout camp and see how that goes. still a fun nice day, the clouds cleared and turned out to be a great day.

Nice work. That's a great section and fun! Great day to ride.........Drew

Members who have read this thread: 0