What kind of FR/DH tires for the Phoenix / Sedona areas?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What kind of FR/DH tires for the Phoenix / Sedona areas?

Hey guys. Just wanted to ask the local AZ boys what kind of tires hook up and run well for the Phoenix, Sedona, and Flagstaff areas.

I'll be moving there in February to attend U.T.I Phoenix. Of course, this leaves my weekends for... you guessed it.. riding.

Anyway, I expect the conditions to be a lot like they were in Moab Utah.. but is this an ok assumption?

I'm on a pair of 26x2.6 Specialized Roller tires right now, but what else should I look into for good FR & DH performance.

Thanks in advance. I really appriciate it.

-Matt R
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    I haven't found any conditions (they've even worked well in wet for me) that the Maxxis Minion ST/SRY 2.7s have not been excellent, they are great tires. I ran the michelin comp 32 up front and comp 24.1 last year, and those worked really well, stuck like glue, but the rear will wear fast. You'll probably go through 2.5 rear tires before the front needs replacing, but still it is a great combo. For not quite as much bite, but a little less rolling resistance and weight, 24.1s front and rear are good too, but you will be replacing tires more frequently. There are some good intense tires too, occasionally here I run some 909EX 2.7s, but I've only ran them a few times, I'm saving them for when my latest minions are destroyed (which is right about now for the rear tire). The 909s are a lot harder, so I expect they'll last a lot longer when I do put them on permanently.

There are other companies, but Intense, Michelin and Maxxis really have DH tires nailed, as far as traction and handling. They each offer quite a few different options, as far as "sticky" tires, or harder tires, but I see no reason to go with anything else in the future, these 3 brands have been far ahead of most everyone else for a long time.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Awesome.

Thanks!

You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I agree with JM I have run both the Minons and the High rollers and have been very happy with them. I think alot of people run the moobster too and have been happy with them.

I lean like a cholo!

My most recent combo

2.5 Kenda Nevegals front and back. The stick like glue and rail in the corners as well or better than my Minions did. They are, however, a slower rolling tire than the Minion. The durability is better than the minion, my minion's side knobs began seperating and tearing off really quickly (super tackies). When my minions were together they were awesome.
    My 2 cents.
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...