My other ride is your mom

What keeps you off the bike?

It's getting to be that time in the year when the only thing that keeps me off the bike is filling out my weekly unemployment online and visiting hours at the psych ward......since I'm special, I'm curious: What keeps you off the bike this time of year?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What keeps you off the bike?-dsc01418.jpg  

mtbr member
    Falling off the wagon.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    It's getting to be that time in the year when the only thing that keeps me off the bike is filling out my weekly unemployment online and visiting hours at the psych ward......since I'm special, I'm curious: What keeps you off the bike this time of year?
    Kind of suggestive there, Maad, with the old "One in the PinkBike, one in the St*nk" handjive bit.

Mud season and honey beekeeper hive season are about it, tons of beehives with angry killer bees after the sage, that like to sting ya, gangbanger style, is about it. That, and injuries.

Earlier in the year, the backyard up at Mammoth did, too.

but not in summer.

Give it a crank
    Only forums.mtbr.com

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Women, scotch, and zombie movies.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    Posting on MTBR.

Actually, I hope to start riding more now. I've been on the bike 4 times since Feb. 20, and instead was running 5-6 times a week. With a couple biking trips planned, I'm planning on trying to bike 4-5 times a week now, starting today.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I say injuries, what I really mean is video game addictions.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    work, winter, water (GDMFing rain),, but all that is about to change real soon.
    thankfully my video game interest mostly dissipated after the ps1 era (with the exception of Silent hill 2 and Katamari for ps2)

How much further ???
    My 20 month old son and my pregnant wife. Soon it will be my 2 year old son and newborn twins and a tired wife keeping me off my bike. My lack of a job and no maternity insurance gets me on my bike as its the only thing keeping me sane. On that note Im off to get in a little Hawes action.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

parenting for gnarness
    nothing but diapers and monkey butt. not saying who's is who's.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

What is this "off the bike" you speak of?

pedaller
    Dude, are you throwing the 'horns in that pic????

Off the bike? Kids, work, HEAT, life.

Planning to get in MORE riding up north this year though - and driving my 2WD SUV up there as often as possible! Maybe even take my GPS and camera along!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

sprocket
    bok choy

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    on my 29r - trashed rear wheel and rear cassette, toasted chain - stupid mistake - parts on order to replace - should be ridable early next week

building new/used El Guapo - yet to receive the tight new cane creek angleset headset for a taperred fork and still need to receive my new set of custom rims. should be here next week!

work at 6am to whenever after 3pm - come summer time, rides will proably be limited to weekend mornings when it's over 105 durring the day after work. Haven't tried riding at night yet. Don't have lights for it either. I also autocross my car which limits rides on Sunday mornings.

Injuries - if my hyperextended knee starts acting up, that might sideline me. I really should go to the doc for that but haven't. .
    Last edited by berny2435; 04-21-2011 at 03:10 PM.
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
    b

locked - time out
    Mar 2011
    As Berny stated........Broken parts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    bok choy
    Lutefisk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Lutefisk
    braunschweiger

mtbr member
    Ok. for real now. Lutefisk provides me the nourishment to keep pedaling, and braunschweiger gives my hair a rich sheen. So those actually keep me on the bike.

1. sore knees when I'm too dumb and lazy to stretch and roll out the IT band
    2. using all other thing in life as an excuse
    3. see #2

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I had my left knee replaced about 4-weeks ago. That has got me off the bike, but I can't wait to get back on!

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    My 20 month old son and my pregnant wife. Soon it will be my 2 year old son and newborn twins and a tired wife keeping me off my bike. My lack of a job and no maternity insurance gets me on my bike as its the only thing keeping me sane. On that note Im off to get in a little Hawes action.

Sounds like a desperate statement from a guy about to quit the family. I feel for ya, man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    60 hour work weeks can keep me too tired for quality rides, but I've made extra effort the last couple weeks and have gotten in a few very good rides.
    The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me.

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    Kid, work and traveling for work and little else.......
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by StabMasta
    Sounds like a desperate statement from a guy about to quit the family. I feel for ya, man.
    Oh no way Im quiting the family. While everything I said is true plus more like a house going into foreclosure and my credit being destroyed Im still quite upbeat. Its amazing how much riding you can get in without a pesky job and would get more in if it weren't for my family responsibilities which I have no issue with. While things dont seem to be going my way lately I know many people have it far worse so I cant really complain.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Oh no way Im quiting the family. While everything I said is true plus more like a house going into foreclosure and my credit being destroyed Im still quite upbeat. Its amazing how much riding you can get in without a pesky job and would get more in if it weren't for my family responsibilities which I have no issue with. While things dont seem to be going my way lately I know many people have it far worse so I cant really complain.
    True. Went through a foreclosure as well... what a fuggin mess that was (and still is). Riding helps with my stresses as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Work. Being a Dad. Trail planning. Getting older and less motivated.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    thankfully my video game interest mostly dissipated after the ps1 era (with the exception of Silent hill 2 and Katamari for ps2)
    Too bad. You're missing out on Portal 2. Pretty sweet. And with that, La Noire might keep me off the bike in the summer as well for a short spell. I really try to keep gaming at a minimum, but when it's hot outside, AC'ed entertainment too easy a choice.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    I really try to keep gaming at a minimum, but when it's hot outside, AC'ed entertainment too easy a choice.
    My thoughts exactly. That and all the other stuff I like to do.

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    braunschweiger

Together?
    On a sandwich??

Dirt Merchant
    Flaming Diarrhea
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tplace
    Flaming Diarrhea
    that is no excuse! I pitched a baseball game in 95 degree heat at 80% humidity in Iowa with diarrhea and poison ivy covering 10-20% of my body, secifically all over my back, butt and legs!! we won too! FOCUS and bring toilet paper and the thickest ziplock bags you can find lol!!!!
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

Dirt Merchant
    Quote Originally Posted by berny2435
    and the thickest ziplock bags you can find lol!!!!
    That part alone almost had me shatting my pants laughing.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bare feet....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What keeps you off the bike?-4-22-11-032.jpg  

What keeps you off the bike?-4-22-11-033.jpg  

yup.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nada......' tis the weekend and the Easter Tequila Egg Hunt is ON
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What keeps you off the bike?-img_3290.jpg  

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i worked 14 hours today...

Get Some!
    wednesday i broke my foot at NRA, so i took thursday off but returned friday. saturday i went OTB on national on something stupid and embarrassing (but fast), feels like i cracked a rib, it might keep me off tomorrow... but monday ill be back out. taking it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelg

horns are sideways as in "layed out, filleted and ready to grill".....my conscious is clear on this......BOOMER
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What keeps you off the bike?-18_burnt-ends.jpg  

Last edited by Maadjurguer; 04-24-2011 at 12:29 AM.

aka Diesel
    The lure of running the trails instead of riding.
    I still haven't acclimated to my "new backyard" of the McDowell's, in North Scottsdale. (Hawes.... *sniffle.... sniffle*... how I miss thee.) So I'm running 4, riding two. Not nearly enough, to prevent my death on the Whiskey Offroad this weekend.

(ps- Nice love-bite from the sun, Maad. I have a much more interesting Fox halter and bra strap design on my back, from thinking my olive skin negated the need for sunblock while I did my laps on the trail yesterday.)
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

livin' the dream......
    This time of year, not much keeping me off the bike luckily. Not too hot to ride after work, and still enough light! If I am really motivated, I get my 20 mile road loop in BEFORE work, just to get something in for the day if I can't mtb after work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Broken ankle kept me off for a couple of months, last year. Was back on before I was able to walk or shift the 5 speed in my truck! Could feel every crack and bump in the street at first! Was off the bike a couple of times last week, fixing flats on my commute!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Wondering why Maad flipped his picture....... It is really better going in that direction?

Really, it's just work at this point. Soon it will be heat.......but my new Magic Shine should fix that.

For some reason (I'm assuming it's those darned photons), the heat is tolerable without the sun......

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    My fractured tibia. Out 10-12 weeks.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    cheesy weddings and free booze....
    Check my pulse...

Now that this thread has gone a way....I want to be honest. I jest in my original statement: What keeps me off my bike, at first blush, is physical......concerns of my IT Band health defines my existence. When my moments of happiness and clarity are defined by a life upon two wheels (and two skis), I take extreme care in these things called knees which get me there.....and yet this is where my answer to the question, morphs.

This is the only thing that keeps me from the bike.....and I recognize I'm special in that this is all I have. Yet, this is not enough.....being alone in this world with two wheels is a lonely place. I glamorize it, I talk it up, I blog about it.....but at the end of the day all I want to do is share that stoke with my friends, my family.....anyone.

I'm cognizant of my position, respectful of the gifts it is giving me, and painfully aware of the challenges it presents me. Yet, I am close to folks who would kill to live a week in my life to escape their own reality. Reality is, like time....relative. It is as unique to the person, as it is to the timepiece floating in orbit around us....keeping time....and yet becoming ever so different than the same timepiece held in a vault in Colorado Springs.

I yearn for a shared experience these days....and if anything keeps me from the bike...it has increasingly become the realization that if my ride means that I am to ride 70 miles alone, with nothing but the sounds of blue jays, gravel crunch underneath tires and Phish shows.......I'd rather ride 7 miles with the hoot and holler of friends who are sneaking out of work to enjoy a ride before they have to pick up their kids from childcare. Someone told me last week on an overnight bikepack ride......"This is a section of trail that is best enjoyed amongst friends". This he said, as he stopped....and waited for folks to catch up. I was in awe at this statement in that it spoke to me.

It's sharing the stoke with someone whose time is limited....and thus, more valued. It's about living in the moment of another....getting far outside of my head, the purveyor of all things dark and dismal.....and becoming a witness to joy's found beyond comprehension. I played "patty-cake" with one of my friends kids the other day before a ride as the rider got their shiz together.....late, as usual. Yet this time was sublime and put me in a mood that made the ride better.....the lateness no longer mattered....the stoke of shared experience became the goal.....and in that regard, playing patty-cake was equal in stoke to what I was about to do.

If anything keeps me off of the bike these days....it's because I don't have passion for the ride. It's because the thought of riding makes me want to squirm away......a tough concept to follow....if you've never been there.......and yet, as I answer honestly....the thing that keeps me away from riding....is that I don't want to ride, because I have no one to share it with.

I've already seen beautiful, I've already been awed at things most folks don't experience. I've already done things that most folks don't do....and yet there are so many more things for me to do.....but increasingly, I'm aware that it's meaningless, unless I can share it.
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 04-25-2011 at 07:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Now that this thread has gone a way....I want to be honest. I jest in my original statement: What keeps me off my bike, at first blush, is physical......concerns of my IT Band health defines my existence. When my moments of happiness and clarity are defined by a life upon two wheels (and two skis), I take extreme care in these things called knees which get me there.....and yet this is where my answer to the question, morphs.

This is the only thing that keeps me from the bike.....and I recognize I'm special in that this is all I have. Yet, this is not enough.....being alone in this world with two wheels is a lonely place. I glamorize it, I talk it up, I blog about it.....but at the end of the day all I want to do is share that stoke with my friends, my family.....anyone.

I'm cognizant of my position, respectful of the gifts it is giving me, and painfully aware of the challenges it presents me. Yet, I am close to folks who would kill to live a week in my life to escape their own reality. Reality is, like time....relative. It is as unique to the person, as it is to the timepiece floating in orbit around us....keeping time....and yet becoming ever so different than the same timepiece held in a vault in Colorado Springs.

I yearn for a shared experience these days....and if anything keeps me from the bike...it has increasingly become the realization that if my ride means that I am to ride 70 miles alone, with nothing but the sounds of blue jays, gravel crunch underneath tires and Phish shows.......I'd rather ride 7 miles with the hoot and holler of friends who are sneaking out of work to enjoy a ride before they have to pick up their kids from childcare. Someone told me last week on an overnight bikepack ride......"This is a section of trail that is best enjoyed amongst friends". This he said, as he stopped....and waited for folks to catch up. I was in awe at this statement in that it spoke to me.

It's sharing the stoke with someone whose time is limited....and thus, more valued. It's about living in the moment of another....getting far outside of my head, the purveyor of all things dark and dismal.....and becoming a witness to joy's found beyond comprehension. I played "patty-cake" with one of my friends kids the other day before a ride as the rider got their shiz together.....late, as usual. Yet this time was sublime and put me in a mood that made the ride better.....the lateness no longer mattered....the stoke of shared experience became the goal.....and in that regard, playing patty-cake was equal in stoke to what I was about to do.

If anything keeps me off of the bike these days....it's because I don't have passion for the ride. It's because the thought of riding makes me want to squirm away......a tough concept to follow....if you've never been there.......and yet, as I answer honestly....the thing that keeps me away from riding....is that I don't want to ride, because I have no one to share it with.

I've already seen beautiful, I've already been awed at things most folks don't experience. I've already done things that most folks don't do....and yet there are so many more things for me to do.....but increasingly, I'm aware that it's meaningless, unless I can share it.
    Having lived in Colorado Springs for a couple of years I'll speak freely,we're all lucky to ride vicariously daily through your post's, Keep on Truckin & let the good times roll ,by the way there wasn't much of a roll call @ the Tequila Tree this evening ...

aka Diesel

I
    Ohhhhh yessss. Been there. From about May of last year, until Old Pueblo of this year, I found myself utterly PHOBIC of riding. It's a disconcerting feeling when you lose that vibe, whatever the reason.

I can also relate to the latter. I blogged about that very thing: about one lonely solo night ride on Hawes, a couple of years ago. Changed my life, that night.

It's therapeutic and good for the soul to have some alone time on the trail, but too much, can magnify the despair that we "pack animals" experience when there's an imbalance. Plus, then you start talking to yourself out loud, which kinda skeers people, perpetuating the cycle. Anyway, don't give up on riding, or with gathering like-minded people. You're far from alone, at least in this feeling.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nothing can keep me off the bike! If I couldn't ride I'd go nuts! Even if the knees creak and ache, still keep going. The older I get, the more I realize that someday I won't be able to go on long rides anymore. Better make the most of ir while we can!

mtbr member
    Today's wind kept me off of mine...someday I'll be a real man and just pedal through it.
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

Give it a crank
    The mtbr consensus is: flat tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    1. Traildoc
    2. Those new cattle guards.
    3. Figuring out which Slime to use when making my own "stans" is easier. (latex/water/pepper)
    4. Snakes
    5. Sidewall tears
    6. Not locating the Tequila Tree

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding
    1. Traildoc
    2. Those new cattle guards.
    3. Figuring out which Slime to use when making my own "stans" is easier. (latex/water/pepper)
    4. Snakes
    5. Sidewall tears
    6. Not locating the Tequila Tree
    Last edited by Javelina; 04-28-2011 at 06:31 PM.

mtbr member
    19 month old keeps me off the bike, and the wife working 6 days a week for 12 hrs a day doesn't help either!
    Check out some great MTB gear @ www.evomo.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The stomach flu I had all day Sunday.

mtbr member
    detached retina surgery just 2 days after WOR ......frack!
    Long time off the bike I'm afraid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YftCbXIw11k

mtbr member
    wow, I just got my 2nd post-op exam for detached retina and things look great! Very successful surgery, recovery, and future activities should be unlimited...cycling, vintage motocross racing, or anything else should be good to go and get better over time. Awesome!

So Rob....how can I avoid getting a detached retina? Is this related to riding too hard?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona
    wow, I just got my 2nd post-op exam for detached retina and things look great! Very successful surgery, recovery, and future activities should be unlimited...cycling, vintage motocross racing, or anything else should be good to go and get better over time. Awesome!
    Back in the saddle again! Congratulations! Time to shred!

mtbr member
    if you don't have a family history of detached retina, no worries. Both of mine were very thin from years of nearsightedness. Also father and grandmother had it and lost vision totally, so I was pretty scared. Just so happened to let go a couple of days after wor race. Had to have lazor on rt eye immediately and left retina was torn in 15 places!
    Doc said rough riding doesn't cause it. Only fam history or trauma impact to the eye.
    Not finally cleared until the 24th, but sounds like I will not be limited to any riding, just not a sparring partner for boxers LOL. Back on the dirt soon!

Tucson, AZ
    Gardening

High Desert MTBer
    Not much keeps me off the bike. I had a few years of veering off to motorcycles, but now I am firm in my personal maxim: gas power on 2 wheels is for the road ONLY, pedal power on 2 wheels is for off road ONLY. Now it's only 18 - 20 hour work days 6 days a week that keep me off. The 7th day has so far been a riding day every week. Even when I cracked 6 ribs I stayed riding, but it was a little painful... I couldn't imagine playing a video game when there was riding to be had outside!

Members who have read this thread: 0