No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

What I learned today

Since it's been too hot to ride much lately, I forced myself out of bed this morning for my first early ride of the year. Since it's close, I went to McDowell and ran the Sport to Tech to Long loops. I was pedalling onto the trail at 6:32 a.m.

Here's what I learned:

A 6:30 start -- if you plan to be out for qny length of time -- is too late. Should've been there by 6 or, better 5:30.

After some fussing with suspension, Paul's advice on here several weeks back was spot-on. I slowed the rebound on my rear shock two clicks (it's a Fox Vanilla R coil on my Rocky Mountain Flow) and it completely changed the character of the rear suspension. Thanks, Paul.

Had my first flat ever after coming down the descent off the South Ridge. If you've never changed a flat before, practice in the comfort of your garage. Seriously. I managed it, but it took far longer than it should have. Also, check your equipment. My cheap $8 mini-pump isn't worth a damn.

As an aside, 11 bikers passed me with my bike taken apart on the side of the trail. Only two of them -- numbers 9 and 10, as it were -- asked me if I was OK. I WAS OK, but, geez, it's sure nice to ask your fellow bikers if they need help. Karma.

Overhead by a pair of guys that passed me while broken, who I can only imagine are visitors to AZ. After coming down that rocky descent off South Ridge: "Man, was that rocky enough? Someone needs to build a REAL trail here."

Thanks for reading.
    dion

I railed it like Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Since it's been too hot to ride much lately, I forced myself out of bed this morning for my first early ride of the year. Since it's close, I went to McDowell and ran the Sport to Tech to Long loops. I was pedalling onto the trail at 6:32 a.m.

Here's what I learned:

A 6:30 start -- if you plan to be out for qny length of time -- is too late. Should've been there by 6 or, better 5:30.

After some fussing with suspension, Paul's advice on here several weeks back was spot-on. I slowed the rebound on my rear shock two clicks (it's a Fox Vanilla R coil on my Rocky Mountain Flow) and it completely changed the character of the rear suspension. Thanks, Paul.

Had my first flat ever after coming down the descent off the South Ridge. If you've never changed a flat before, practice in the comfort of your garage. Seriously. I managed it, but it took far longer than it should have. Also, check your equipment. My cheap $8 mini-pump isn't worth a damn.

As an aside, 11 bikers passed me with my bike taken apart on the side of the trail. Only two of them -- numbers 9 and 10, as it were -- asked me if I was OK. I WAS OK, but, geez, it's sure nice to ask your fellow bikers if they need help. Karma.

Overhead by a pair of guys that passed me while broken, who I can only imagine are visitors to AZ. After coming down that rocky descent off South Ridge: "Man, was that rocky enough? Someone needs to build a REAL trail here."

Thanks for reading.
    dion

I was out yeterday hitting the trail at 5:30 and temps were perfect- for about 30 minutes. Try 5:00 if you want to really keep it reasonable.

I remember flatting for the first time on trail and thinking- why is this so much easier at home. Practice breaking a chain at home too. Trying to figure it out for the first time on the trail takes some work.

That sucks about the trail helpers. I passed a roadie fixing a flat about a month ago on baseline (i was on my DH coming back from SoMo). I waved as i passed by, and felt guilty for not asking if he needed help about 30 yds after passing. So i flipped around and checked on him. He said i was the first one to stop and ask. He was fine and had all his tools, but i had at least 10 -15 roadies blow by me. Don't feel to bad - there's no love on the road either.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

Saucy Size
    Yeah, 5:30 is downright nice out in the morning. Assuming you've gotten some sleep the night before, which I didn't. And 0830 was gettin' pretty darned warm this morning, let me tell you. I was surprised to see quite a few Landis riders heading out just as we were getting back.

Glad to hear the suspension tweak helped renew your faith in the bike. That's a pretty good shock you have on a long-standing frame design. I knew it had to be the setup.

Bummer about the trail karma. Typical, though.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member

Same in Tucson

The weather, anyway. I was on the trail at 6:30 on Friday, and by the time I finished at 8:30, it was getting pretty uncomfortable. I found a nice spot in the shade at mid-ride to sit and listen to the desert waking up. But I thought the same as you--should have been starting at 5 or 5:30.