What has MTB done for you? (Middle Finger Warning)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

What has MTB done for you? (Middle Finger Warning)

(Disclaimer: Maadjurger defintely kicks my literary ass but I had to put it down)

For me, it was all about getting into shape. AZG23 and I first got into gear after a shooting competition down in Tucson. We both realize our limitations due to being out of shape. It was pretty sad to be honest. A 200 yard sprint had me winded and shots suffered because of it. Strong as heck sure... but cant do much if you cant breathe when you get there right?

April 2010

So I started out at 268lb. We started hiking at first. Would hike from 7th st T100 trailhead and head east around Disneyland then back.. man those first ones sucked! Then came Toms Thumb! We hiked it from the north side first cause it seemed like it would be easier and shorter. Yeah we learned! This was for the buddy that bailed on AZgoat and I

Somewhere along the line Brad mentioned the "Glory Days" when he was younger and riding a ridiculously minimal travel all over T100 and shredding the same areas we had been hiking. The idea was born. We both picked up some cheapish bikes and started pedalling. Most rides back then SUCKED! A mile or so then stop and come back from the dead. Then rinse and repeat.

First (HAB mostly) "ride" up Windgate to Bell.

Slowly but surely the weight from both of us started falling off and we became bolder with the adventures. Five or six mile rides now became 7-10, then slowly 10-15 with the occasional (or accidental) 20.

We rediscovered Pima and Dynamite as neither of us had been out there in forever. Here is where I really started to like uphill as much as downhill. Earning my sweet downhill was fun.. what.. FUN?

Brad asked "how do you like the new bike" (40lb Reign X)

AZG23

Fast forward another 6 months and I forgot how many different bike options later. Now Im on a straight XC bike and am 45lb lighter than before. Brads over 70lb lighter. Makes me go faster when Uncle Gravity pulls me downhill.

So over a year and a half, 45lb, 5,6,7 bikes later (Blatant still wins there I think) unknown miles, a couple hundred gallons of water, maybe a puke or two, post ride beers and tacos, LOTS of laughs (mostly at myself), a little bit of crying, definitely blood: Im much happier, much more fit and even family life has improved with the new found occasional peace.

What has MTB done for me? Easier to say what it hasnt but you guys already know that right?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    mostly scars...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hellz yeah brotha....

Ill throw a few in...

from here:

to here:

to here:

Last edited by AZG23; 10-22-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Meatbomb
    Damn... your wife is hot

nice stoke !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Damn... your wife is hot
    Not cool man....that's over the line....that's the mother of his children you're talking about.....but......um.....eerrrrr.....now that you mention it.......

Since I don't pay much attention to my weight (pushing 260, I think).......all I know is that I'm still fat.....but in shape. Thanks MTB!!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Yup, its all about that, right there. Wait until you get to 50-60 miles, then start thinking about 100, then an overnighter for 120, the AZT 300 seems feasible, then the Colorado Trail at 500....The Tour Divide..... it never ends! I hope my MTB future take some turn like that 'cause its da bomb. Keep it up.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Great post and congrats!

Mountain biking has helped me as well in similar ways. I was up to 200 lbs at my heaviest. Now I am almost down to 170...

Keep it up! You have a great looking family (polite way of agreeing with a post above, and adding two cute kiddos )... stay healthy so you get to be there for then longer.

My other ride is your mom
    A good story is always that, a good story. Keep pedaling!

Kathleen in AZ
    Now that makes me smile!! Thanks for sharing your story.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This is an awesome story!

Dirt Bike Craig
    That's kinda the same reason I started just a couple months ago. A big hobby of mine is photography and you have to hike to really get to the best spots. I took a trip to Moab with a friend in the end of June for photography and was really displeased with myself huffing and puffing and struggling so much to get to these awesome places. I can tell I've definitely lost some weight so far but I haven't been keeping track (still a fat ass)

Congrats on your progress! gives me some inspiration

mtbr member
    Well done and you look awesome. I was 270 at one time, got down as low as 168, and am currently 185. Not all attributed to mt biking, but it sure as heck helps.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Good stuff!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    WTG D-Man. You and B-Rad really deserve lots of credit for whipping yoursleves into shape like you have. I went from 210 to <180 and figure I could get another 10 with only minor adjustments, but like you have found riding consistently to be a big part of the equation.

how much for your sister
    A lot of people get on a bike to lose the weight. Then the bike becomes a way of life and then it's more about keeping the weight down so they can be better on the bike. An added bonus is no money for food due to the cost of bike parts.

Congrats on setting an example for your kids !

I almost forgot about the original question, What has it done for me ? It got me to move to an obscenely hot climate so I can ride year-round without getting frostbite. I'll take heat stroke over frost bite any day.

No Clue Crew
    I keep visiting this page in hopes that I'll have something funny to say to make fun of you guys... 'cause that's what guys do, right? Make fun of each other. But, I got nothing. Great job on getting your sh|t together!

When I think of something funny I'll be back

Too many Sedonuts...
    Maadjurger is over-rated.

Good on ya. MTB-ing has only done good things for me for 25+ years. Keep it up.

-JB
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    Dude no way would I have ever recognised you on the street in that first picture. We still need to get a ride in together. I wasted last winter and don't plan to repeat.

PhxChem that may be the mother of his children and his wife but I'm pretty sure he takes it as a complement when someone writes that she looks good. I know I do. It is better than it never being said or the opposite.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6 View Post
    Dude no way would I have ever recognised you on the street in that first picture. We still need to get a ride in together. I wasted last winter and don't plan to repeat.

PhxChem that may be the mother of his children and his wife but I'm pretty sure he takes it as a complement when someone writes that she looks good. I know I do. It is better than it never being said or the opposite.
    Agreed bro! I really didnt recognize myself sometimes. I guess sometimes in your mind you still keep that idea of what you think you look like and even though I could still run a mile (dead when i got there) I felt like I was still "in shape" and boy was I wrong! I know better now!

As for the wife comments... Im sure if she knew I posted her pics on the net, shed be glad to know she is thought well of. Even if she wouldnt come out and say so. All girls love attention right? I kinda think shes hot anyway so should I post her bikini pics then?

AKA shitbird
    Good on you. Now let me tell you about my MTB story

Mountain biking took my mind off of my great paying, career focused job. Instead of focusing on my work I daydreamed of Somo, Flagstaff, and road trips to New Mexico, Utah, wherever. I eventually was let go from said job as my head was into riding rather than working. I now work in a bike shop and dream of someday paying off $60k in students loans.

My Wife doesn't ride and I ride well....always. So yeah, she is ready to send me down the trail any day now.

My truck was once really nice, but now it's falling apart from loading way too many bikes into it and shuttling up horrible roads to get a 10 minute downhill fix.

When I wake up in the morning my bones ache and my scars itch. I feel like I'm living in a 70 year old body....Oh and that leads to past due medical bills...blah!

In conclusion, THANKS MOUNTAIN BIKING!!..Love you always
    JRA

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos View Post

Mountain biking took my mind off of my great paying, career focused job. Instead of focusing on my work I daydreamed of Somo, Flagstaff, and road trips to New Mexico, Utah, wherever. I eventually was let go from said job as my head was into riding rather than working. I now work in a bike shop and dream of someday paying off $60k in students loans.

My Wife doesn't ride and I ride well....always. So yeah, she is ready to send me down the trail any day now.

My truck was once really nice, but now it's falling apart from loading way too many bikes into it and shuttling up horrible roads to get a 10 minute downhill fix.

When I wake up in the morning my bones ache and my scars itch. I feel like I'm living in a 70 year old body....Oh and that leads to past due medical bills...blah!

I should add that this a really exaggerated tale based loosely on partial truth.....having a shitty morning that's all
    JRA

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I should add that this a really exaggerated tale based loosely on partial truth.....having a shitty morning that's all
    Yeah but would you trade it for anything??? (other than a million dollar job riding bikes and getting the wife to ride, a new uparmored truck and more time to ride)

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnio View Post
    A lot of people get on a bike to lose the weight. Then the bike becomes a way of life and then it's more about keeping the weight down so they can be better on the bike. An added bonus is no money for food due to the cost of bike parts.
    This was my exact reason for beginning MTB back in May of this year. Shed 15 lbs and my BP went from 120/80 to 96/72. I don't ride for health now but simply for the beauty of the ride and the surrounding desert.

Dirt Merchant
    Big ups to all the drops....in weight and elevations!!!

Started 260, down to 205 in about 8 months, but back up to about 215 (Damn work keeping me out of the saddle).

Keep it up everyone!
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    threw in a few pics of what mtb has done for me

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZG23 View Post
    threw in a few pics of what mtb has done for me
    Nice update bro! For me its still hard to believe the original pics cause in my mind I wasnt "that fat" but the proof is there.. NEVER AGAIN!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tplace View Post
    Big ups to all the drops....in weight and elevations!!!

Started 260, down to 205 in about 8 months, but back up to about 215 (Damn work keeping me out of the saddle).

Keep it up everyone!
    Nice work Tplace! Glad to see we seem to be the norm when it comes to the results! Keep it up! Work got in my way... so I started riding to work! I know Brads doing it too now. I ride 11 miles each way. Cant remember what he does. I have a shower at work and I know not everyone does but it sure makes my day better!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Im 8 miles one way....try to do it in about 20 min to keep it work.

pedaller
    Good work!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

All That is Man
    I did the same. I started hiking then quickly got into doing more riding.

(6'-0" tall)
    April 2011: 225lbs 40" waist
    Oct 2011: 185lbs 34" waist

Good riddens to the man-boobs. I rode 30 miles on the trail yesterday and a fast paced 13 miles today (Starr Pass) with some energy to spare. I'll never go back. I think I could drop more weight, but not without losing muscle mass which I'm unwilling to give up and my wife agrees
    John

Dirt Merchant
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    Nice work Tplace! Glad to see we seem to be the norm when it comes to the results! Keep it up! Work got in my way... so I started riding to work! I know Brads doing it too now. I ride 11 miles each way. Cant remember what he does. I have a shower at work and I know not everyone does but it sure makes my day better!
    Thanks! I work from home (when I'm not travelling for work). So unfortunately, it's just the long days and meetings that keep me off the ride. Just need to make more time to ride.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    Yeah but would you trade it for anything??? (other than a million dollar job riding bikes and getting the wife to ride, a new uparmored truck and more time to ride)
    Nope, well maybe the great paying job riding bikes and all that
    JRA

mtbr member
    Nice story Dennis. I really like seeing the pics and having the story told about success-and you told the story fine!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    'k'na ..... great story .... Riding a mt. bike makes you feel like your 10 years old ... Keep ridin' ... being 10 is good......... the best drug ...endorphins!!!!!!!!!!!!

My other ride is your mom

....and here I thought I was the only one.....