What GPS to get?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What GPS to get?

Looking to purchase a GPS over the next week or 2. Not looking for something to costly since I am not a hardcore middle of nowhere rider. I would be doing trail rides about once a week and local rides around the local golf coarse I live on (after hours of coarse) nightly. Mainly want something so if I do get lost I can get back to my car or if there is GPS maps someone has to offer I can load them and ride that map. I had a Garmin edge 205? before but I think that was pretty basic...or chances are I just didnt know how to use its features. Anyone have any suggestions on a decent bar/stem mounted GPS I could get that would track my work outs as well as enable me to option to load maps and such? Any info is appreciated.

Mike-e
    Quote Originally Posted by fourseventeen
    Looking to purchase a GPS over the next week or 2. Not looking for something to costly since I am not a hardcore middle of nowhere rider. I would be doing trail rides about once a week and local rides around the local golf coarse I live on (after hours of coarse) nightly. Mainly want something so if I do get lost I can get back to my car or if there is GPS maps someone has to offer I can load them and ride that map. I had a Garmin edge 205? before but I think that was pretty basic...or chances are I just didnt know how to use its features. Anyone have any suggestions on a decent bar/stem mounted GPS I could get that would track my work outs as well as enable me to option to load maps and such? Any info is appreciated.
    What type of cell phone do you have?
    The Allsport GPS program works really well for exactly what you are talking about, very simple and easy to use also. Cost would be A LOT less than buying a GPS unit. This is a trip I recorded using that app on my phone. http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/618373

P.S. you can also find other users trips and use them as a guide if you want to ride the same trail/area.

mtbr member
    Looks pretty neat. Ill have to look more into that. I have a Blackberry Storm so it looks like it would work.

Mike-e
    Looks pretty neat. Ill have to look more into that. I have a Blackberry Storm so it looks like it would work.
    Cool, I know the BB Storm has a good GPS receiver and the app works great on that phone. Tracking is really accurate, maps download quickly and it is also very easy to share your trips with friends.

My other ride is your mom
    checkout the GPS forum too...lots of info on there w/r cell phone GPS

Tucson, AZ
    etrex legend, I have had it for about 4 years w/o any problems. Couple it with Topofusion.com and it will change how and where you ride.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    etrex legend.
    Better hurry, it appears Garmin has discontinued that product :

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=173#

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo

I have the Hcx version...although the one P suggested is fine. Mine just has more "reception" in some canyons (I use to canyoneer/climb and slot canyons).

Add up the money you may spend on races and use it to get a GPS...then you can start finding your own routes, exploring new trails, mapping them, and doing free, grassroots races.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo

Not to worry. Garmin (my employer) sells a replacement model which is pretty much the same thing only with a high-sensitivity receiver and USB connector instead of old-style RS232 serial port.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=30120
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

Meatbomb
    very nice ....

mtbr member
    You work for Garmin....so wheres the group deals at?

Ebay always seems to have much better pricing then any of the local sporting goods shops unfortunately.

mtbr member
    So are the "edge" models not worth the money? 205, 305, 605, 705 etc.

Tucson, AZ
    So are the "edge" models not worth the money? 205, 305, 605, 705 etc.
    I'd say spend the extra money. Some of the above models do not accept GPX files, so you have to download a converter program to make it a .crs files. Also, you just see a little dashed line on them whereas the Etrex line is more simple, IMHO.

you can map rides

upload tracks to check out the climbing

Once you get one.

parenting for gnarness
    the GPS forum will help you a lot - way more threads and comments. I have a Vista HCX and so far its been just what i wanted for a good value. IMO, dont bother with something that wont upload tracks.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    I have several GPS (I test them for Plus3Network.com) I think the Garmin 500 is one of the best i've used so far. It's pretty accurate (as accurate as a consumer device can be) and has some really nice features. I really dig the temperature feature for some crazy reason.

My second favorite is the Garmin 310XT. They make a quick release system for the 310XT which makes it really easy to transition from wrist strap to bike. The 310XT doesn't have a barometer so the altitude will not be very accurate.

mtbr member
    Love this forum...you guys are great help.

Chilling out
    Garmin GPSMAP60CSx, not the smallest or most modern, but sips from the battery juice, accurate, mapping, memory card, the whole works.

For more size/convenience the Edge 605/705 are nice too as you can keep them on the h-bar without thinking your bike has a "growth" - BUT they are *NOT* back-country GPS devices like the eTrex or GPSMAP series.

The Delorme PN-40 is a really nice unit too, but IMO the battery life sux0rs.

Lots of options out there.

mtbr member
    Are the Garmin units Mac compatible?
    kompressor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor
    Are the Garmin units Mac compatible?
    Yes... I'm on a Mac and I've yet to come across one (of the sports models) that doesn't work.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey
    I have several GPS (I test them for Plus3Network.com) I think the Garmin 500 is one of the best i've used so far. It's pretty accurate (as accurate as a consumer device can be) and has some really nice features. I really dig the temperature feature for some crazy reason.

My second favorite is the Garmin 310XT. They make a quick release system for the 310XT which makes it really easy to transition from wrist strap to bike. The 310XT doesn't have a barometer so the altitude will not be very accurate.
    +1 on the 500, I've had mine for about three weeks and so far it seems great. I have used it a the 24 HOP and the battery lasted for about 8 hours of riding, I turned it off between laps. My old 305 the battery sucked. The strong points for the 500 seem to be small, ease of use and great battery life. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by bear

For more size/convenience the Edge 605/705 are nice too as you can keep them on the h-bar without thinking your bike has a "growth" - BUT they are *NOT* back-country GPS devices like the eTrex or GPSMAP series.
    Just curious what you consider "backcountry" features which the 705 does not have? I use mine all the time to do exploration rides...I use topofusion to scout out my routes, digitize a path or waypoints, upload them to my 705....which has a USGS topo (1:20k) which i got online for free....what more features do you need to make it "backcountry"?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was all set on getting a Garmin 305...until I found "Google MyTracks" for Android phones. Gives me plenty of data and can export .kml and .gpx files. If you have an Android phone give this a try. I'd still like a 305, but I'm not nearly as excited about it now.

Scott in Tucson
    I suppose the Edge units are not "back country" in the sense that they have a limited internal battery life. Units that take AA batts (e.g. Dakota, VistaHCx) can be used on multiday trips by feeding them more batteries. That's a big selling point for me, but not a consideration for some people.

I wouldn't recommend the Edge 500 to the OP since its mapping capabilities are very limited.

No one has mentioned the Dakota. I reviewed the Dakota 20 here:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2009...ota-20-review/

The Dakota 10 has almost all the same functionality and can be found for relatively cheap. Just another option to consider.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Just curious what you consider "backcountry" features which the 705 does not have? I use mine all the time to do exploration rides...I use topofusion to scout out my routes, digitize a path or waypoints, upload them to my 705....which has a USGS topo (1:20k) which i got online for free....what more features do you need to make it "backcountry"?
    altimeter
    compass
    meaningful waypoint storage (>50 for sure)
    waypoint projection
    replacable batteries (to lesser degree for single-day, but definitely for multi-day)
    lanyard connection (for safety, I've lost GPS in the field that weren't attached 2x)

I use my 705 mostly, BUT if I'm going to be EXPLORING an area I find it easier to use the GPSMAP. Could very much be personal preference.

There may be other things that twig it for me, but that's off the top of my head.

addendum: for simply RECORDNIG a track, the 705 RULES the field of consumer hardware. Set at 1-second recording it makes dramatically higher fidelity tracks than any other consumer device that I have found. I have *not* spent personal time with a Delorme PN series to know how it covers this though.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    I suppose the Edge units are not "back country" in the sense that they have a limited internal battery life. Units that take AA batts (e.g. Dakota, VistaHCx) can be used on multiday trips by feeding them more batteries. That's a big selling point for me, but not a consideration for some people.

I wouldn't recommend the Edge 500 to the OP since its mapping capabilities are very limited.

No one has mentioned the Dakota. I reviewed the Dakota 20 here:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2009...ota-20-review/

The Dakota 10 has almost all the same functionality and can be found for relatively cheap. Just another option to consider.

Dakota is fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is this ride on trail or road and when did you do it? Epicrider lives up to the name.
    Check out his topofusion, it's so good it's entertaining.
    agmtb

Got a suspension fork
    I use a Garmin 305 and am very happy with it, I like having the heart rate monitoring which is something that isn't easy on a smart phone. The ability to load and follow courses is something I really didn't consider when I bought my unit - but has become my #1 favorite feature.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i have the GPSMAP60CSx too... batteries lasts forever.
    much better than the one i replaced (a 1997 garmin 45XL,, not fun trying to change batteries while you fly 70mph in an open cockpit plane steering with your elbows)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Dakota is fine.
    YetiSurly's is pretty cool. All hi-tech and stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I use my Edge 705 exclusively for all sorts of riding. It does all I need it to do. For multi-day trips, I have to bring an external charger as it doesn't have replaceable batteries.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    'backcountry' features include the comprehensive 24 hour english<< >>redneck translation support hotline

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    i have the GPSMAP60CSx too... batteries lasts forever.
    much better than the one i replaced (a 1997 garmin 45XL,, not fun trying to change batteries while you fly 70mph in an open cockpit plane steering with your elbows)
    batteries do not last forever.

mtbr member
    the edge 605 and 705 are rechargeable and do not use AA batteries? How long does it last on a charge?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I can get two solid days of riding on one charge. I'd say about 12-16 hours. That's just a rough estimate. If routing and using the navigation mode, put it closer to the 12 hr mark. I may fortunate as some have mentioned shorter times.

mtbr member
    oh ok then thats no problem. I was hoping it would be good for 6 so if its double that then there would be no issue with any of the riding I would be doing with it.

12-16 sounds about right....I had about a quarter charge left on mine at 12 hours this summer....totally agree with the battery thing for the "backcountry".....that would be the only way to make my 705 better IMO....705 has an altimeter, waypoint storage at 100, and compass when moving...I know, not a real compass.

As for a real compass...I always carry one with a topo since electronics can always bonk.

Chunky Monkey

I have had my 305 for about five years. The battery was always a little sketchy. It does everything I want and prolly more, but I am pretty simple.

About a year ago it died. I could send it back to Garmin and get the battery replaced for I think around $90. Did not have the money. On the GPS forums there are some guys that are magicians that crack the case and put in a newer, longer lasting battery. Waaaay over my simple brain. Batteries Plus would crack it, replace the battery. Cost of battery $40 plus labor.

Than I happened to be walking past a battery display in Wally Mart and saw this;

http://www.duracell.com/en-US/produc...b-charger.jspx

The battery comes with a small usb to usb cord that I can charge at home and in the car. I just plug the Duracell into the 305, put it in my pack and ride. I know this would not work on the bars with the battery plugged in but I always carry it in my bag anyway.

It has even worked with my phone and cameras.

My 2cents, hoped it helped...

Thx,
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

Members who have read this thread: 0