What are everybody's favorite pedals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

What are everybody's favorite pedals?

The stock Shimano 505s on my bike are really getting on my nerves, so I'm going to upgrade them. I was looking at the 540s, which I was about set on, until I started considering the eggbeater design. I've read lots about what people think of the beaters, but just about all of peoples' opinions have to do with how well they work when caked with mud. I live in AZ, what's mud?

Anyways, just wondering what people around here use, and the preference between SPDs and Beaters.

wheeeee!!!
    what about the stock pedals is annoying you? Some people like spd's, and I think most spd's generally feel about the same in terms of entry, release, and float (with the differences in models and price being based on weight, materials, cages, bearing quality, etc.).

I've ridden spds quite a bit, but I've switched over to eggbeater stuff, and haven't looked back. I ride candy's on my xc bike, and mallet's on my trailish bike (flats for the dh bike). I like the ease of entry and exit, and the float you get with crank bros stuff better. Some people don't like the feel of lots of float, so it's really down to personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by tried2live
    The stock Shimano 505s on my bike are really getting on my nerves, so I'm going to upgrade them. I was looking at the 540s, which I was about set on, until I started considering the eggbeater design. I've read lots about what people think of the beaters, but just about all of peoples' opinions have to do with how well they work when caked with mud. I live in AZ, what's mud?

Anyways, just wondering what people around here use, and the preference between SPDs and Beaters.

EDR
    I started with EB'ers, rode for a year on Mallet C's and then steel EB's. Switched to SPD's, they work better for me. For me, they are easier to get out of 'caus I don't have to twist my foot as much. This may or may not be a good trait for you.

Just set money aside for both b/c whichever you buy you'll ride for a while then buy the other kind, haha...

Kathleen in AZ

I switched to TIME pedals for their superior function in muddy conditions. Here in AZ, mud isn't a factor, but I still use Times! They are completely different than SPDs as you have to push forward to engage instead of stepping down and back like you do on the spuds. Times are very similar to Beaters in terms of engaging, disengaging, and float. Once I made the switch from SPDs to Times back in 97, I have never once fallen due to a trapped foot. Engaging and disengaging is a non-issue with Times - as least for me. But, it's all about personal taste.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just can't get the ones I have adjusted properly. I can feel my foot sliding forward and backward in the pedal, but if I tighten them up enough to get rid of that, I can barely get into them, and have a REALLY hard time getting out. Supposedly the adjustability on the 540s is way better.

I'm pretty happy with the SPDs I guess, but I'm super interested in the eggbeaters too. I guess I really just need to try out the beaters and see if I like them. I won't know if I like them til I try them.

mtbr member
    TIME ATAC's
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I like the Time pedals
    I use time atac's myself. what I like about them has nothing to do with mud, although that is what they are known for. What I like about them unlike spds is that you can adjust the spring tension without changing the float of the pedal. I have lots of float and have a tight spring and never pop out of my pedal unless I want to. When I want to release if I drop my ankle down and out it comes out every time. I don't know how much you would like the time system if you don't like alot of float.
    Scott

Not a Barry supporter.
    I rode SPD's for about 3 months and hated them. (Of course, that was in the wet NW.) I just didn't like the feel of them. I felt way to contrained in 'em. I then switched to Times and ran those for about 3 years. I really liked them but once I found out who made them, I switched to an American company. I'm glad I did. The Eggs are great! As previously stated, thye have a lot of float but that's really comfortable for my glass ankles (soccer was not easy on 'em). Easy entry/exit is key for me. I tried the Candy's and they were kind of hard to get into. The Eggs are a piece of cake. The only negative about them is sometimes you hit a rock and it will release the tension and your foot will kick out. It rarely happens but you really notice it when it does.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

my knees hurt
    I've ridden SPD's (Shimano,Ritchey, Wellgo,etc...) and Speedplay Frogs (never again). I love the Shimano's but I've been thinking about giving the eggbeaters a try due to posts on this forum and friends recomendations...maybe once I have some spare cash(is there such a thing as spare cash?) I'll give em a try.

I need to ride more.
    Nov 2004

Shimano

I'm happy with my entry level Shimano's. I'll probably just buy a lighter version of the same next time. I had the Time Atac XS Carbon, but I couldn't get the release down...probably due to a slight clubfoot condition.

If anyone's interested, my Time's are on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7215151374

Richard

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I like SPDs, I tried beaters but did not like them and I went back to SPDs. I did not like how the beaters felt when I was engaging and disengaging. I really like Shimano 959s.

Fragile - must be Italian

Try another SPD pedal

Ditch the Shimano's and go with another SPD pedal. Shimano 505's really suck. Other SPD pedals are so much better.

In general I've always been an SPD fan for MTB applications because both the pedals and cleats are durable and cheap. Older SPD designs (like the 505's) had lots of issues w/mud and retention. Newer SPD pedal designs have come a long way from those crappy 505's, so don't let the performance of those junkers make you think that all SPD pedals perform like doggy doo doo.

My favorite SPD pedals are now the Xpedo's or Ritchey v4's. The Xpedo's are usually on sale for around $50/pr for the cro-mo version (which is the most durable). I think the weight is about 300g, which is good for an MTB pedal. The design is much more open than the older SPD's so they shed mud pretty well. They clip in and out very well.

The Ritchey v4's are also a new design and they work great. Again...an open design that sheds mud well, clips in/out well, is light (<300g), and generally works as you would expect. I think you can also get these for about $90/pr.

A lot of my friends use the Time's but they are not the most durable pedals out there, and at $125+/pr, that's something I worry about (let alone the >$30 cleat replacement cost vs $10 for SPD cleats). I'm really hard on my MTB parts and crunch my pedals and shoes into all sorts of nasty stuff, so a >$100 pedal is something I only put on my road bike (where it will last forever).

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Well obviously the SPDs release by kicking the heels out, but how do the beaters release? Same thing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I really like my 959s but I have been looking at Xpedo's - at $50 a pair that is a great price.I have not had any problems with my 959s but they are expensive. The Xpedos are pretty light at 300 grams. Initial reviews seemed to indicate they were not that durable. Sounds like you have had good luck. Good to know.

Ouch, I am hot!

Time

I swear by Time Atac XS. $109 at Performance. They also have the Atac XE for $80, same as XS but no spring tension adjustment. Quite frankly, I used the old non-adjusting ATAC for several years and never needed the adjustment option. The pedals are tough and lasted me 3 years, and I knocked the hell out of them. I bet my old Times would be as good as new after an overhaul via Time. The pedal bodies were still good, but the mounting hardware had loosened up. I liked to change cleats about once a year.

http://performancebike.resultspage.c...om&w=time+atac
    I AM JUST A JERK

Elitest thrill junkie
    545s are my favorite.

Mallet Cs are NOT my favorite. No adjustments. Doesn't release straight up at all. When you clip rocks it can unlock the mechanism. The mech forces you to "roll" forward on the pedal to clip in, which doesn't work sometimes. Just too many reasons why it doesn't really stack up. I use em right now, but just for commonality. I think I'll go back to 545s or the equivalent at some point.

One of my favorite riding comments of all time was when a rider behind me said he saw sparks shooting off when I clipped a rock with my 545s.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Roni1az
    Dec 2004

959s on sale at performance

i was using the chromoly egg beaters with the blue spindle for the past two months...they were nice and easy getting in and out of, but broke after probably 30 rides. they seem kind of fragile to me. they had no problem with me returning them and i did get another pair. i figure if they took them back once, i will just bring em back again if they break, but i also picked up a pair of shimano 959s for 119 bucks. was i robbed? i have never seen them that cheap before.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I swear by Time Atac XS. $109 at Performance. They also have the Atac XE for $80, same as XS but no spring tension adjustment. Quite frankly, I used the old non-adjusting ATAC for several years and never needed the adjustment option. The pedals are tough and lasted me 3 years, and I knocked the hell out of them. I bet my old Times would be as good as new after an overhaul via Time. The pedal bodies were still good, but the mounting hardware had loosened up. I liked to change cleats about once a year.

http://performancebike.resultspage.c...om&w=time+atac
    Huh - I've heard lots of issues w/Time composite bodies getting shredded in our hellish environment. Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of Time pedals (RXS on both road bikes), but after hearing stories of a few of the Time MTB pedals w/composite bodies snap apart, I decided to stick with my cheap-o SPD's.

Do your Time pedals have the composite bodies (I assume they do)? And by "knocked around", do you mean "beat the ever living sh!t out of them" knocked around or "oops...dinged them on a rock" knocked around? I'm the former. I have no regard for pedals or shoes. And if the Time's can take such a licking...I just might get a pair just to see how I like them.

Hell, one time I was racing down a hill (eastbound on T100 coming down that looooong gradual descent approaching Cave Creek)...leaned a little too much while pedaling...dug my downward pedal into a rock...the rear of the bike kicked directly up in the air and threw me forward over the handlebars and I landed square on my back. Totally focked up the pedal (bent the axle)...but more importantly gave myself the surprise of my life. I'll never forget that crash...scared the crap out of me.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

in my experience...

i bought a bike that came with the shimanos, when noticed the same thing, i couldnt get my foot out unless i loosened the damn adjuster enough to cause a hellish movement in the pedal as i rode. i decided to upgrade to eggbeaters. even on my hardtail. after a few months of riding like this i decided to upgrade my crank, couldnt get the pedals out so i put the shimanos on the new crank. after the first ride i notices my knees werent as lose but i still had trouble getting my foot out.....turn the cleat a little bit so when you need to you can get it out. i tried to go for a ride on my hardtail and my feet felt so lose because of the float, if you use your knees alot when you turn, like for balance, the eggbeaters are great. once you enhance your skills though you will want a more stiff cleat. just be patient and find the correct angle that works best for you. you will love the way the cb decides to jettison when you hit a rock, ive beat the holy hell out of my stock 505s and they still get the job done, after all, they are just pedals...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

beaters work for me, but really it is a personal preference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have ridden on Onza's, Speedplay, Tioga's, Azonic's,Shimano 646's, 747's and 959's. The 959's have been the best pedals I have owned. They are easy to get in and out. They also give you a decent platform for your shoe. I liked the entry and release of the 747's, but the pedal did not give you enough platform to support your shoe. The shoes I ride in are Sidi's. Take it for what it's worth, but I can tell a difference. Just my $.02

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    $119 is a really good deal for 959s.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Huh - I've heard lots of issues w/Time composite bodies getting shredded in our hellish environment. Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of Time pedals (RXS on both road bikes), but after hearing stories of a few of the Time MTB pedals w/composite bodies snap apart, I decided to stick with my cheap-o SPD's.

Do your Time pedals have the composite bodies (I assume they do)? And by "knocked around", do you mean "beat the ever living sh!t out of them" knocked around or "oops...dinged them on a rock" knocked around? I'm the former. I have no regard for pedals or shoes. And if the Time's can take such a licking...I just might get a pair just to see how I like them.
    Thx...Doug

On the trail I will not touch anyother pedal except for Time pedals!! They are durable, smooth operating, and reliable.

They are the most durable pedal that I have found or seen. As many of you know I work for SuperGo/Performance, because of this I have sold so many EggBeaters, Shimano SPD's, and Time pedals it is insane!! Well the only pedal that has amazingly never been returned due to falling apart, breaking, not being able to clip in or out and coming uncliped at a bad time is the Time pedals!! The only issues I have seen in the almost 3 years that I have been working in the bike industry with Time pedals is one guy who weighs about 230 came off a 4-5 foot drop and planted his pedal on top of a rock and bent the loop part of the retention mechanism (this is on the new design). The other (yes there are only 2) is a friend of mine wore out a pair in 3 years of riding 3-6 times a week(old design) on the Mormon National here on South Mountain, also when I say wore out, the pedals still worked but the springs were fatigued to the point that they were mushy to clip in but still cliped out like they were supposed to.

Oh and Shimano would be my second choice, passing on just about all the SPD knockoffs.
    Last edited by AzSpeedfreek; 01-31-2006 at 12:35 AM.

mtbr member

just as a point of reference, in my post above those are my original and current TIME ATAC carbon pedals circa (if memory serves) 1997. they have been the only pedals i've owned or used since i purchased them. i have beat the living sh!t our of them for almost 10 years here in AZ and have not had to do one ounce of maintenance ever. they are the original model with no adjustments of any kind other than the reversable cleat.

obviously i cannot speak for the newest TIME pedals, but these have held up better than any other MTB part i have ever owned. they work the same today as they did the day i bought them.
    Last edited by 'size; 01-31-2006 at 12:25 AM.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    just as a point of reference, in my post above those are my original and current TIME ATAC carbon pedals circa (if memory serves) 1997. they have been the only pedals i've owned or used since i purchased them. i have beat the living sh!t our of them for almost 10 years here in AZ and have not had to do one ounce of maintenance ever. they are the original model with no adjustments of any kind other than the reversable cleat.

obviously i cannot speak for the newest TIME pedals, but these have held up better than any other MTB part i have ever owned. they work the same today as they did the day i bought them.

I have the new design, and I have the old design. The old design works great, but you really need to try the new design, they are so much nicer and smoother you would be amazed that they were able to improve on the old design so much.

Ouch, I am hot!

Hell, one time I was racing down a hill (eastbound on T100 coming down that looooong gradual descent approaching Cave Creek)...leaned a little too much while pedaling...dug my downward pedal into a rock...the rear of the bike kicked directly up in the air and threw me forward over the handlebars and I landed square on my back. Totally focked up the pedal (bent the axle)...but more importantly gave myself the surprise of my life. I'll never forget that crash...scared the crap out of me.

Thx...Doug
    Doug, there are the old Atacs and the new ones. Both may have a composite version, but as far as I know, the ones I have are not composite. I never had any issues with the bodies falling apart and I have knocked them around quite a bit. As AZspeedfreek mentioned, the spings can get mushy over time, but the bodies have been solid. My old Atacs (the new version) are still good, although a bit mushy. I love Times and even if they are less durable than other pedals, I will stick with them because I love how they work and feel. The right pedal is very important.

Back in my roadie days, I remember when Time pedals first came out. I still have my original pair with Time shoes. The second I clipped in I knew that these were the bomb. The Time pedal and Time show combo was the best thing ever. The cleats were built well into the shoe, providing the best feeling shoe/pedal combo I had ever experienced. I have been a Time guy ever since.

If you decide to go Time, I suggest you get the Atac XS at Performance for $109. I got them at the Scottsdale store. I also believe that Performace will even exchange used pedals if you don't like them.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member

ribbet!

In the beginning, it was toe-clips, then Shitmano's (never again). With the Shitmano's, I'd
    unexpectedly unclip or get stuck at the most inopportune times. Those were 747's (I think).
    I dunno...they've been banished to the bike-part graveyard in my attic. DIE! You whore!

For the last 7 or 8 years, it's been Frogs.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Large wheels & one gear
    I just switched to CB Candy C's and Mallet C's from Shimano. So far I like them. There is definitly alot more play in the CB's. It is something I have gotton used to. I find it more difficult to lock into the mallets but that could be due to the fact that I put the larger cleat on the pedal ( I might have to switch back to the lower one ). I have already smacked the Candy's pretty good thinking I had just destroyed them. But, they have held up. They seem pretty tough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I picked up a cheapie set of beaters from Performance today. From riding them around the parking lot after installation, they're GREAT. Super smooth release, and I don't even have to look down to clip in. Plus the cleats are a little lower profile than the shimanos, so they don't click on the ground as much when I walk.

I guess the ride tomorrow will give me a better idea, but so far, so good. I can see why you CB and Time guys like them.

Elitest thrill junkie
    and I don't even have to look down to clip in.
    Why would you ever have to look down to clip in?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Why would you ever have to look down to clip in?
    I had a heck of a time with my SPDs getting my foot onto them if I didn't look down first. Had to make sure the pedals were at the right angle I guess. Never thought it was abnormal.

Members who have read this thread: 0