What to do in Tucson?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 47 of 47
  1. #1
    Sir Hurt Locker
    Reputation: 2_Tires's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,007

    What to do in Tucson?

    Hey guys, looks like I am gonna be on a deployment in Tuscon from mid Jan to end March. If I can get out for a ride or two what is the best place to rent a bike from and what are the must ride trails? I am fit but haven't spent much time on the bike in the last year due to being posted in an area lacking any trails. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Seb
    Cheers,

    Seb

    __________________________________________________
    Live Free and RIDE Hard!!!!
    Defiant MTB

  2. #2
    Fight the Kakistocracy!
    Reputation: veelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    259
    Check out TucsonMTB. Most of the Tucson locals hang out there, mostly Phoenix folks on the AZ board here.
    veelz

    Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AZTtripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    542
    When you get here post up at Tmtb let us know what kind of riding you like. There's a lot of variety here from mostly DH shuttle rides to long XC.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

  4. #4
    Sir Hurt Locker
    Reputation: 2_Tires's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,007
    Ok sounds good, I will do that. Thanks!
    Cheers,

    Seb

    __________________________________________________
    Live Free and RIDE Hard!!!!
    Defiant MTB

  5. #5
    Multiple Lines Rock
    Reputation: Acrophobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    243
    I had some Guatemalan food downtown that was grandma style good...

  6. #6
    [email protected]#$%&!
    Reputation: zukicidal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    270
    Eat at Eegee's!

    Welcome to eegee's online!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by zukicidal View Post
    Highly disagree. Eegees food is TERRIBLE!!!!! That said, you must, MUST get yourself an Eegee. My favorite is half lemon/half strawberry.

    If you want a good place to eat, Bison Wich is da bomb! And grab a (cheap) beer at the Buffet.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  8. #8
    Cholla Magnent
    Reputation: Rzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Highly disagree. Eegees food is TERRIBLE!!!!! That said, you must, MUST get yourself an Eegee. My favorite is half lemon/half strawberry.

    If you want a good place to eat, Bison Wich is da bomb! And grab a (cheap) beer at the Buffet.
    BUFFET FTW! That is where I met my wife . Cheap beer, shuffleboard and the fabulous smell of urine and vomit outside.

    You have to be from Tucson to love Eegees! Their food is pretty low quality stuff, but man I love it! My wife, who is from Montana, but attended the U of A HATES it. Best, smuggle rum into a U of A football game early in the season, buy a pina Eegees and pour said rum into it. It's 95+ deg in the stadium and our team sucks so you need the diversion.
    Cholla Magnet

  9. #9
    Victim of Saddle Rage
    Reputation: cannonballtrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    622
    Check out the Blue Willow Restaurant on Campbell. Good atmosphere and food

    As far as riding, Tucson Mnt Park can be quite fun, but lacks flow. Fantasy is a waste of time. 50 year and Golden Ranch has some fast riding and of course the IHOP course. If you feel like driving Kentucky Camp is a real blast.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    163
    50 year, arizona trail (pistol hill area), sweetwater, starr pass, kobiyashi to milagrosa, fantasy island (why bag on it, it is a great after work option).
    "Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AZTtripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballtrail View Post
    but lacks flow.
    The solution to your flow problem can be had in the feminine hygiene isle.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

  12. #12
    [email protected]#$%&!
    Reputation: zukicidal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    270
    Dang, I love Eegee's. The ranch fries are to die for, and of course the actual Eegee is the bomb.


    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Highly disagree. Eegees food is TERRIBLE!!!!! That said, you must, MUST get yourself an Eegee. My favorite is half lemon/half strawberry.

    If you want a good place to eat, Bison Wich is da bomb! And grab a (cheap) beer at the Buffet.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    327
    As for trails, upper and middle gate at Golder, Robles, Starr Pass, and Sweetwater. All on sdmb.org

    As for food, Bisonwiches and Eegees?? Come on guys! Try Mi Nidito and El Charro downtown and Lindy's on 4th for burgers . . . . Or try the Daytona wings and loaded tots at No Anchovies on University.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    327
    Renting a bike is tougher . . . . The only place I know of is the specialized shop on 6th . . .

  15. #15
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,230
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballtrail View Post
    Check out the Blue Willow Restaurant on Campbell. Good atmosphere and food

    As far as riding, Tucson Mnt Park can be quite fun, but lacks flow. Fantasy is a waste of time. 50 year and Golden Ranch has some fast riding and of course the IHOP course. If you feel like driving Kentucky Camp is a real blast.
    each to their own... where's Golden Ranch?
    It's all Here. Now.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AZTtripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    542
    I think he means Golder Ranch. And by IHOP I guess he means the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo course. The course it self is pretty lame, great for doing laps on, but I hear good things about some of the other trails out there.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

  17. #17
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,230
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTtripper View Post
    I think he means Golder Ranch. And by IHOP I guess he means the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo course. The course it self is pretty lame, great for doing laps on, but I hear good things about some of the other trails out there.
    I figured that... Funny, I always thought the 24 hr course sounded a bit much like a pancake run. I have never made it up there myself as I just did not consider it worth the drive. If I am driving somewhere I feel it more worthwhile to try and make it a little more epic and adventurous.
    It's all Here. Now.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    27
    Starr Pass trail. I-10 Starr Pass Exit follow the road west . There is a trail head sign on the left just before the Marriott. If you hit the enormous Marriott resort you missed it by a hair.

  19. #19
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,974
    "Golder"....I like it.


  20. #20
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,230
    Rhymes with boulder...
    It's all Here. Now.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by zukicidal View Post
    Dang, I love Eegee's. The ranch fries are to die for, and of course the actual Eegee is the bomb.
    I remember a time when Eegees didn't even sell French fries. I remember it was a big deal when they added them to the menu.

    Now, you want so good greasy food, Lucky Wishbone is the ticket.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  22. #22
    Eroding into the trail
    Reputation: DustyBones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    897

    Eat here

    FOX Restaurant Concepts - Wildflower: New American Cuisine



    Tuesdays are 1/2 off bottles of wine!
    Great food, a worthwhile establishment to visit.

  23. #23
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,230
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones View Post
    FOX Restaurant Concepts - Wildflower: New American Cuisine



    Tuesdays are 1/2 off bottles of wine!
    Great food, a worthwhile establishment to visit.
    Wildflower is very good, but def higher price range
    It's all Here. Now.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AZTtripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I remember a time when Eegees didn't even sell French fries. I remember it was a big deal when they added them to the menu.

    Now, you want so good greasy food, Lucky Wishbone is the ticket.
    Now that's nasty. They opened up a new one just down the street from me. I tried it once and only once. There's a good sized open space, county land, right behind it where I walk the dog. That grease smell hangs like a cloud over the place.

    As for Egees what their subs lack the eggee drink more then makes up for. I usually only stop there when they have something good as flavor of the month.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    527
    is cj still still running his B and B down there on his nature preserve? He had bikes he rented out and the trails take off out his back door to the 50 yr trail but I have not seen him on here for a while. DEFINITLY check out his place if you want to ride 50 yr and need a bike.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner:nono:

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    93

  27. #27
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,265
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I LOVE lucky wishbone

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Eat at Cafe Poca Cosa
    Eat at the Flying V at Ventana Canyon (more for the atmosphere and scenery)
    Have a beer at Nimbus brewery
    Have an Italian Cheese steak at Fortunatos
    Eat some chicken at Chuys.



    I miss Tucson!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2

    Coffee and Trails

    For bike rentals I'll go to Fair Wheel you can get a pretty sweet deal on some full suspension or hardtail rides. Don't know pricing though.

    Breakfast: Franks Diner "Elegant food served elsewhere"
    Coffee: Cafe Luce one of the few doing it right.
    Dinner: El Charro "Creator of Carne Seca"

    Fantasy Island for the berms.
    Tucson Mountain Park to get a feel for the desert.
    Milagrosa to tempt fate!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyskatonic View Post
    For bike rentals I'll go to Fair Wheel you can get a pretty sweet deal on some full suspension or hardtail rides. Don't know pricing though.

    Breakfast: Franks Diner "Elegant food served elsewhere"
    Coffee: Cafe Luce one of the few doing it right.
    Dinner: El Charro "Creator of Carne Seca"

    Fantasy Island for the berms.
    Tucson Mountain Park to get a feel for the desert.
    Milagrosa to tempt fate!
    B-fast for me is Bobo's.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2
    True Bobo's for Pankcakes Franks for Huevos Rancheros

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    I think I paid $65 to rent an Epic 29er at Fairwheel back in March.
    A year earlier, I rented a Gary Fisher Sugar from Broadway bikes. Both are cool shops.

  33. #33
    Eroding into the trail
    Reputation: DustyBones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    B-fast for me is Bobo's.
    +1 for El Charro, great Mex & Tequila!

  34. #34
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,230
    If you're looking for some of the very best food in Tucson, The Abbey over on Sunrise and Kolb is about the best meal I have ever had here. That's if you are a foodie like me, and don't mind dropping a few bucks for something special. For a good mex, try Mosaic in the strip mall opposite Foothills Mall on La Cholla, small, pretty cheap, and very good. Best Indian in town is Flavor of India in Oro Valley: Rancho Vistoso and First by Safeways, (take it from a Brit who has tried 'em all). Then for something different, try Zemams Ethiopian restaurant on Broadway. Eat with your hands using their own bread, and it is really tasty, well worth a visit.
    After all that food, you will need some HARD riding: Can't beat the Tortolita Mountain trails for that!
    It's all Here. Now.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    If you're looking for some of the very best food in Tucson, The Abbey over on Sunrise and Kolb is about the best meal I have ever had here.
    At the same intersection, is some of the best Italian food in Tucson at Gavi (also at Broadway and Pantano).

  36. #36
    DLd
    DLd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,589
    La Indita Cafe on 4th Ave has always impressed me with their service and their food. Very authentic, rustic feel, like you're a gunslinger in the late 1800's and you just walked into a saloon in a mexican village. (although it's a restaurant, not a bar, just to be clear) The food too, has an authentic, rustic feel, like the recipes are from a hundred years ago, as opposed to some restaurants where the answer to "where the flavor is" is to just add more cheese....

    Yummy, and very reasonably priced. Another +1 for Lindy's on 4th also.

    Considering Bug Springs will probably be snowed in during your time here, at the top of my list for rides would be the 50 year trail at Golder Ranch, add loops of GEM, upper and middle as appropriate for your skill/endurance level. After that, but closer to you, would be Starr Pass Loop and associated connecting trails. Good time of year to get a deployment here!
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe View Post
    I had some Guatemalan food downtown that was grandma style good...
    The restaurant is called Maya Quetzal on 4th Avenue, a personal favorite. Moderate pricing, full plates for dinner.
    agmtb

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8
    Restaurants
    Breakfast - Bobo's
    Lunch - Lindy's on 4th (Man vs. Food challenge place, awesome burgers)
    Dinner - El Charro (claims to have invented the chimmichanga!)

    and heed my advice... stay away from any and all vices.... if you dabble in the dark side while in T-Low you very well could end up 5 years down the road with a piece of paper in your hand wondering what happened during the 80% of your time spent there that you seem to not remember! haha

    Simply speaking from 1st hand experience

  39. #39
    DLd
    DLd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Stay-Frosty View Post
    Restaurants
    Breakfast - Bobo's
    Lunch - Lindy's on 4th (Man vs. Food challenge place, awesome burgers)
    Dinner - El Charro (claims to have invented the chimmichanga!)

    and heed my advice... stay away from any and all vices.... if you dabble in the dark side while in T-Low you very well could end up 5 years down the road with a piece of paper in your hand wondering what happened during the 80% of your time spent there that you seem to not remember! haha

    Simply speaking from 1st hand experience
    and since this is Arizona, if you encounter any officers of the law, be sure to speak in broken English with a foreign accent. It goes over really well!
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Stay-Frosty View Post
    Restaurants
    Breakfast - Bobo's
    Lunch - Lindy's on 4th (Man vs. Food challenge place, awesome burgers)
    Dinner - El Charro (claims to have invented the chimmichanga!)

    and heed my advice... stay away from any and all vices.... if you dabble in the dark side while in T-Low you very well could end up 5 years down the road with a piece of paper in your hand wondering what happened during the 80% of your time spent there that you seem to not remember! haha

    Simply speaking from 1st hand experience
    funny you mention it. I went down there to meet a friend that had been in town for business. We had dinner with some work friends of his and a couple of the locals they were working with. After a few beers suddenly we had been talked into going over the boarder for a few beers and why not, it was only 1130 on a wed night. We found a small place playing club music and around 2 they turned on the foam pit, will never forget the sight of my buddy running through it as though it was christmas morning. Next thing I remember it was 6 am and we were driving back, cloths still soggy from the foam. I dropped my buddy off at his hotel and he looked like hell and had just enough time to pack his soggy clothes and then maybe a quick shower before hitting his flight home. It had to be hell giggling of the foggy memories from the night before. If he had got an hour of sleep he would have been hung over as hell..
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner:nono:

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
    funny you mention it. I went down there to meet a friend that had been in town for business. We had dinner with some work friends of his and a couple of the locals they were working with. After a few beers suddenly we had been talked into going over the boarder for a few beers and why not, it was only 1130 on a wed night. We found a small place playing club music and around 2 they turned on the foam pit, will never forget the sight of my buddy running through it as though it was christmas morning. Next thing I remember it was 6 am and we were driving back, cloths still soggy from the foam. I dropped my buddy off at his hotel and he looked like hell and had just enough time to pack his soggy clothes and then maybe a quick shower before hitting his flight home. It had to be hell giggling of the foggy memories from the night before. If he had got an hour of sleep he would have been hung over as hell..
    I was wondering about the safety of going over the border these days. I used to go there all the time (late 90's early 2000's). Always had a great time, never any trouble, but I hear things have changed a lot down there.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    ...never any trouble...
    Then you didn't do it right.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I was wondering about the safety of going over the border these days. I used to go there all the time (late 90's early 2000's). Always had a great time, never any trouble, but I hear things have changed a lot down there.
    this was 6-7 yrs ago before it got really crazy there. That night I had NO intentions of going until they said that two of the people that were going with us have family there and know the town and of course spoke spanish. When I heard all that then I had no reason to say no and if that opportunity were to pop up again I would still consider it. Mexico is not so scary if you have someone that speaks the language, knows the town and where to stay away from.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner:nono:

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
    funny you mention it. I went down there to meet a friend that had been in town for business. We had dinner with some work friends of his and a couple of the locals they were working with. After a few beers suddenly we had been talked into going over the boarder for a few beers and why not, it was only 1130 on a wed night. We found a small place playing club music and around 2 they turned on the foam pit, will never forget the sight of my buddy running through it as though it was christmas morning. Next thing I remember it was 6 am and we were driving back, cloths still soggy from the foam. I dropped my buddy off at his hotel and he looked like hell and had just enough time to pack his soggy clothes and then maybe a quick shower before hitting his flight home. It had to be hell giggling of the foggy memories from the night before. If he had got an hour of sleep he would have been hung over as hell..
    I was simply speaking about going to college there and all that the lifestyle of UofA entails!

    Now doing Nogi (Nogales) run! That's a whole other can of worms... or beer haha

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
    this was 6-7 yrs ago before it got really crazy there. That night I had NO intentions of going until they said that two of the people that were going with us have family there and know the town and of course spoke spanish. When I heard all that then I had no reason to say no and if that opportunity were to pop up again I would still consider it. Mexico is not so scary if you have someone that speaks the language, knows the town and where to stay away from.
    I wouldn't be worried even now, going down with spanish speakers and meeting locals down there. I used to go alone and get into all kinds of trouble but never got into a dangerous situation.

    I was recently on the border in Texas and really wanted to go check out Piedras Negras, but didn't know enough about it to wander over there by myself. Most of the locals I talked to said don't do it, but a lot of people are just plain paranoid about Mexico. 10 years ago in Tucson a lot of people told me the same thing about Nogales, but they were just plain wrong.

  46. #46
    Sir Hurt Locker
    Reputation: 2_Tires's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,007
    Wow, thanks for all the posts! I think I am gonna be down for 2 months so I may be able to hit all those places, lol. I'll be staying on or near the Air National Guard base, anyone know how tough it is getting around with no wheels? I'm not sure if the military is gonna provide some rental vehicles but if they do it will probably be a vehicle for every couple people so Im not sure what my access will be. Thanks.
    Cheers,

    Seb

    __________________________________________________
    Live Free and RIDE Hard!!!!
    Defiant MTB

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Tucson isn't exactly known as a public transit town, but at least its always warm and dry, so its a good bike transit town. Down around the base however, isn't the best area for places to bike to.

Similar Threads

  1. Trails around Tuscon
    By minimusprime in forum Arizona
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 09:47 AM
  2. MTBing in Tuscon
    By gregorio in forum Arizona
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 11:50 AM
  3. KHS Tuscon
    By trener1 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 04:33 PM
  4. Tuscon?
    By xcdemon in forum Arizona
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 12:52 PM
  5. Tuscon in FEB
    By wolfy in forum Arizona
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 03:23 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.