What can you do about snakes on trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

What can you do about snakes on trails

I just got back from riding today and almost landed on a snake while falling off of my bike.

I just started mountain biking in feburary, but i absoluty love the sport, since then i have been riding at least 15 miles a day and its amazing. But anyways today i wasnt even on a trail, but in the parking lot waiting for one of my freinds to arrive so i was practcing wheelies and i flew off the back of my bike, right next to a snake, small but it scared the %&*# out of me.

I was wondering what you guys do to try and be safe about snakes, since this is the first time i will be riding in the summer.

Are there less snakes at night, or during the day?

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I see more snakes a dusk and night than during the day. the only thing you would need to do about them is keep a look out for them and go around or stop and watch them cross the trail. Of the hundreds of snakes I seen over the years only two tried to strike at me (because I turned a corner fast and scared them) but they took off into the desert right after.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

"No Clue Crew"
    This topic again ???
    Leave the snakes alone and they will leave you alone. Your chances of getting bit while on the trail and not harrasing the snakes is very very small.

TacoBeer- that is the most awesome signature line quote I have ever read !

"No Clue Crew"
    ...right now, you will see more snakes in the daytime. when the temps go up they will move at night.

My other ride is your mom
    I'm more worried about brushing against a bush with a swarm of killer bees this time of year than running across a snake. I've heard swarms close by far more often than I have heard a rattle from a snake on the bike. And as others have said...snakes don't want anything to do with us.....bee's on the other hand are like the borg.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm sick and tired of these *(&*#@ing snakes on my *#@#^ing trails.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    This topic again ???
    Lately it seems like there are more snake sightings and bike thefts on MTBR than trail reports. This could only mean one thing... the snakes are stealing our bikes!

My other ride is your mom
    I saw three bags of poo last weekend.....I've seen 3 rattlesnakes in my life on the trails as a native Arizonan......

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fasts
    I just got back from riding today and almost landed on a snake while falling off of my bike.

I just started mountain biking in feburary, but i absoluty love the sport, since then i have been riding at least 15 miles a day and its amazing. But anyways today i wasnt even on a trail, but in the parking lot waiting for one of my freinds to arrive so i was practcing wheelies and i flew off the back of my bike, right next to a snake, small but it scared the %&*# out of me.

I was wondering what you guys do to try and be safe about snakes, since this is the first time i will be riding in the summer.

Dont fall off your bike.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

"No Clue Crew"
    Just wear these

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fasts

Hi Bobby. Welcome back.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    ignore the snakes and they will ignore you.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I'm more worried about brushing against a bush with a swarm of killer bees this time of year than running across a snake. I've heard swarms close by far more often than I have heard a rattle from a snake on the bike. And as others have said...snakes don't want anything to do with us.....bee's on the other hand are like the borg.
    I was in CA a couple weekends ago, (incidently, I was there photgraphing Red Diamond Rattlesnakes) when a HUGE swarm of bees flew over us. Scary shitte man. No way to run from a gazillion bees. I've had that happen twice now. One of these days I'm afraid they will swant to stop and say "Hi"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I went with a group years ago out east to the nantahala gourge in one of the carolinas, can't remember which now.... I was following my buddy down a beautifull single track that had grass up to our shoulders on both sides when I heard him make a strange noise and noticed him jump. I didn't have time to laugh at the noise he made before I came right up on the same snake in the same fashon as he did, no way to stop. I made a similar noise and jumped over it as well and then we both wiped as soon as we could get our feet on the ground.

There are a number of times in this sport where you will find yourself suddenly in a position where you did not expect to be and can't stop before hand. I have found in these times it is better to just take your hands off the breaks, find your landing AND DON'T FREAKIN FALL.......
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

I love bike!
    SON OF A ......!!!!

Now I can't get the thought out of my head of being attacked by bees on my after work SoMo ride later today. I'm all jittery now...thanks for nuthin

...or maybe I'm just jittery because of the giant Mt Dew I just drank. Either way BEES ARE SCARY!!!

rip the line
    Jun 2006
    I think we should post signs that there are no snakes allowed on the trails.
    "I tried to live always free and above board like you" Cool Hand Luke

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Hi Bobby. Welcome back.

Pretty sure you're off on this one. But good eye.

EDR
    SON OF A ......!!!!

Now I can't get the thought out of my head of being attacked by bees on my after work SoMo ride later today. I'm all jittery now...thanks for nuthin

...or maybe I'm just jittery because of the giant Mt Dew I just drank. Either way BEES ARE SCARY!!!
    The bees are the real deal. Twice last spring I was buzzed (pun intended) over-head by a swarm of bees. Once I was pedaling and once I was sitting at the saddle. I just sat there as a huge shadow moved quickly through the valley, up and over the saddle and directly over me. Probably 10 feet above my head. I did not dare move a muscle.

Snakes? Aside from when walking/hiking or sitting down on a rock pile, I rarely give them a second thought. The several rattlers I've come across while actually riding were taken by surprise so fast that they were in no position to attempt a strike of any distance. Gets the heart rate up real quick though.

mtbr member

On MTBR hiatus :(
    We used to run to a cadence in the Army that went...

"Up the hill...
    'Round the hill...
    Engineers...
    Through the hill!"

That sums up snakes on the trail: you can jump 'em, steer around 'em, or roll right over them.
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I ran over a snake on Sunday lol he moved off the trail quickly after that. I didnt see him till it was too late and thankfully it wasnt a rattle snake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    you have to bury pipes across the trail at regular intervals and the snakes will use them as a tunnelsand you'll have little jumps.Put up snakexing signs

mtbr member
    I make a sound like a mongoose. It scares them away.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo

Not a bad article. Take this piece of info and throw it away though:
    " If available, a Sawyer Extractor Pump may be used to remove some of the venom. Be familiar with the procedure and instructions before you need to use it."

I won't bore you with talking about how rattlesnake venom works but hope you will just trust me- don't use anything to attempt to suck out the vemon. If you want specifics as to why you should not do this- PM me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    I make a sound like a mongoose. It scares them away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    yea sorry if i created another snake thread, just was freaked out, but I guess i will just deal with it, or make that mongoose sounds, seems like it might scare off a few rattlers.

But now after reading this i am ten times more afraid of bees than i was of snakes, damit

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    twas the summer of '80 when a wasp crawled up the shorts of little mikey playing starwars figures in his sandbox, and stung him twice in the ass...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    i say don't do wheelies so you don't fall off your bike . been riding up at T100 and i haven't seen a single snake ever. i hope i wont see one ever cuz i'm gonna freak out!
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

EDR
    twas the summer of '80 when a wasp crawled up the shorts of little mikey playing starwars figures in his sandbox, and stung him twice in the ass...
    Circa 1983:

While frolicking in the pool on a hot summer Arizona day, mom came up for a breath of air. She took a wasp, which was resting on the waters surface, into her mouth and halfway down her throat...before deploying it's stinger.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    careful dude,, youre going to open this thread up for a bunch of jokes about gag reflexes

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    The bees are the real deal. Twice last spring I was buzzed (pun intended) over-head by a swarm of bees. Once I was pedaling and once I was sitting at the saddle. I just sat there as a huge shadow moved quickly through the valley, up and over the saddle and directly over me. Probably 10 feet above my head. I did not dare move a muscle.
    Swarming bees are not dangerous as they don't have a home to defend.

It's the established hives you have to worry about

(Killer bee variety that is - normal honey bees aren't dangerous at all - unless you're allergic)
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Swarming bees are not dangerous as they don't have a home to defend.

It's the established hives you have to worry about

(Killer bee variety that is - normal honey bees aren't dangerous at all - unless you're allergic)
    Are you sure about that? Africanized bees with an established hive do still swarm. If you're riding along a trail and you see a swarm of bees, they very well could belong to a hive nearby. I would consider them dangerous.

I only know this because I've dealt with two colonies of Africanized bees in my backyard over the years. And they would frequently swarm behind our house.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    Are you sure about that? Africanized bees with an established hive do still swarm. If you're riding along a trail and you see a swarm of bees, they very well could belong to a hive nearby. I would consider them dangerous.

I only know this because I've dealt with two colonies of Africanized bees in my backyard over the years. And they would frequently swarm behind our house.
    yes, i'm sure
    I'm not talking about just a 'bunch of bees', I'm talking about an actual swarm.
    https://entomology.unl.edu/beekpg/beeswarm.shtml

The only reason why africanized or 'killer bees are dangerous is because they are hyper-defensive. Other than that, they are just like any other 'normal' honeybee . When they have no nest, there is nothing to be defensive about.
    Last edited by highdelll; 04-07-2010 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

The only reason why africanized or 'killer bees are dangerous is because they are hyper-defensive. Other than that, they are just like any other 'normal' honeybee . When they have no nest, there is nothing to be defensive about.
    That's a gross undersimplification of Africanized bees. They are far more aggressive, more easily agitated, have many more soldiers, pursue a threat much further distance and for longer periods of time, and deliver 10X the number of stings during an attack. Additionally, they tend to swarm more than European honey bees. Colonized bees swarm to protect the hive. To suggest that such a swarm is harmless is naive and irresponsible.

~Disc~Golf~
    That's a gross undersimplification of Africanized bees. They are far more aggressive, more easily agitated, have many more soldiers, pursue a threat much further distance and for longer periods of time, and deliver 10X the number of stings during an attack. Additionally, they tend to swarm more than European honey bees. Colonized bees swarm to protect the hive. To suggest that such a swarm is harmless is naive and irresponsible.
    yeah ok, did you read what I wrote?

once more...
    bees only attack to defend their hive.

Bees DO NOT "swarm" to protect the hive - they swarm to find a new home and it's a means to keep the old hive healthy and their method of reproduction.

I have gotten my information from professional beekeepers.
    I challenge you to find me one organized attack from swarming (biological term) bees.

~Disc~Golf~
    another link:
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/why-d...ees-swarm.html

where I got my info locally:
    Palo Cedro Honey Bee festival:
    Last edited by highdelll; 04-07-2010 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    yeah ok, did you read what I wrote?

once more...
    bees only attack to defend their hive.

Bees DO NOT "swarm" to protect the hive - they swarm to find a new home and it's a means to keep the old hive healthy and their method of reproduction.

I have gotten my information from professional beekeepers.
    I challenge you to find me one organized attack from swarming (biological term) bees.
    We're arguing over semantics here.

In terms of a mountain biker riding along a desert trail, if he sees or hears a large group of bees flying around, it is highly unlikely whether he'll know if that's a swarm looking for a new place to colonize or an existing colony of bees defending a perceived threat to their hive. He should exercise caution and quietly leave the area.

If you want to ride into the swarm of bees, go for it, my friend. I'll be riding the other direction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Highdelll is spot on. I have first hand experience with both nesting bees and "bee balls" or swarming bees. The swarm was cool. The nest was painful. I crossed a blowdown in the pisgah that bees made home. 20+ stings in 10 seconds.

~Disc~Golf~
    We're arguing over semantics here.

In terms of a mountain biker riding along a desert trail, if he sees or hears a large group of bees flying around, it is highly unlikely whether he'll know if that's a swarm looking for a new place to colonize or an existing colony of bees defending a perceived threat to their hive. He should exercise caution and quietly leave the area.

If you want to ride into the swarm of bees, go for it, my friend. I'll be riding the other direction.
    semantics? not really, just trying to clear up some VERY common misconceptions.

Swarms are pretty easy to recognize as they're generally very organized, but if there's a doubt or just a buzzing mass with seemingly no direction, yeah use some caution.
    The bottom picture I posted above looks quite scary at first, but you'll notice (and in nature too if you're wait a bit) that the bees are starting to glob onto the leaves and branches - indicating a swarm and not an agitated hive.

If I see a black cloud in the sky or a 'bee-ball', I'm gonna keep on riding with 0% fear - you can turn around and go home if you like (hopefully I didn't carpool to the trailhead w/ you tho )

at any rate, bees are slow and you can easily outrun them on a bike - well, if the terrain isn't super-chunk-gnar

Need more cowbell
    He should exercise caution and quietly leave the area.

I'm riding the other direction from this too....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Meatbomb
    highly allergic here... i'll sit real still until the threat moves on.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    highly allergic here... i'll sit real still until the threat moves on.
    I would too!

Anaphylaxis miles from the trail-head es no bueno.

Plasko
    Killer bees are nothin' compared to the Evil Death Bee

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I Just wanted to start mountain biking in la canada/socal and the though of snakes and bee hives is scaring the "*$#^ out of me

~Disc~Golf~
    Irrational fear

mtbr member
    Bees and snakes and spiders!! Oh my!!

On only my third ride in Tucson, I took off from the truck, and had not gone 30 feet and went right over the top of a Western Diamond Back rattlesnake. I was fiddling with my pack, and going about 5 mph, when I looked down and saw him go under my front wheel. He did not even rattle, just crawled away.

As for bees, back in Oregon we had yellow jackets.(wasps actually) Been stung a lot by them before.

Worst time was falling timber, and I bent down to face up a tree, and they flew out of a hole right into my face. Got stung all over the head, and one went into my ear(all the way) and it stung me several times by my eardrum. I had to sit on a stump for a half hour before I could get my equilibrium back and go back to work. Had a headache til late that evening. Worse than a Corona hangover.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    does this kinda stuff exist in southern california?? o_0
    i feel scared now

~Disc~Golf~
    TBH, I run like a girl with the damn horse flies... they won t leave me alone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetrider
    I think we should post signs that there are no snakes allowed on the trails.
    Or...

Members who have read this thread: 1