mtbr member
    Jun 2011

What Brakes? Looking to upgrade my brakes

What brake sets are you guys using here in AZ? I ride mostly FINS and SOMO, this summer I'll also spend some time up north ridding but we usually try to ride during the summer heat just at night.

Brakes are for my 2015 Pivot Mach 5.7

I've looked at the XT brake set and leaning towards that or the Guide R setup but open to suggestions if there is something better for our terrain?

Thanks!

I am Walt
    XT M8000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    XT M8000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you seen the JBBike setup that they sell? seems to be a complete kit (minus rotors) priced right.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by nando87 View Post
    Have you seen the JBBike setup that they sell? seems to be a complete kit (minus rotors) priced right.
    Hmmm...I have not.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I like a lot of power with good modulation. Usually run guide RS or Rsc or Saints. Have had good luck with both. Saints have decent modulation and a stronger initial bite, guides have more modulation and are a little lighter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I ride XT M8000's on both my bikes. If I were looking today I'd probably get the new XT 8020 4 pot brakes. Slots in between regular XT and Zee/Saint power. I just prefer the Shimano feel.

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/04...ts-uk-pricing/

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'd like to try a set of Magura brakes. Have used their clutches on my dirt bikes in the past.

mtbr member
    Magura MT7 all day. Hands down the best brake that I have ever used.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Shimano brakes are great out of the box, better than most/all. One issue is they seep fluid when left for extended periods (like months without using) and shimano doesn't sell seal-kits and after a few seasons, they often give out (the biggest issue). Magura have relatively low boiling point with their mineral oil fluid, but I suppose one could always switch it out for shimano, which tests significantly better. I've had several sets of magura brakes and they always developed small leaks, but that was a long time ago. I've been using shimano for a while now. In my experience the shimano icetech rotors are a significant improvement.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thank you everyone for their input and suggestions, I was going to go with a set of XT's M8000 but found a used almost brand new set of Guide R that came with everything ready to go for $140 so I jumped on it.

I'll be installing them hopefully next week and get out to test them. I've heard both good and bad about the Guide's so I hope I'll like them.

mtbr member
    I ride a set of Zees and a set of Shimano deore, aside from more comfortable lever on the zee there is no difference in braking in my opinion! Go shimano anything, you can't loose

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nando87 View Post
    Thank you everyone for their input and suggestions, I was going to go with a set of XT's M8000 but found a used almost brand new set of Guide R that came with everything ready to go for $140 so I jumped on it.

I'll be installing them hopefully next week and get out to test them. I've heard both good and bad about the Guide's so I hope I'll like them.
    Good luck. You may love them. Some people do. I had them on a new bike and thought they were the worst brakes I've ever owned. They were gone within a week.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Good luck. You may love them. Some people do. I had them on a new bike and thought they were the worst brakes I've ever owned. They were gone within a week.
    I also couldn't stand them. But my girlfriend seems to love them (she's about half my weight)

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    I also couldn't stand them. But my girlfriend seems to love them (she's about half my weight)

I am always at a loss to read about other Folks issues on equipment that I have used for years and years with zero issues. I have been on hydraulic brakes for 20 years and had plenty of issues during that time. Once I moved to XT and XTR brakes, all my issues disappeared. In fact, the XTís work better than the XTR but all my sets work very well, bleed easy and have never leaked. Started out on Hayes brakes, the original light switch. Maybe I have been lucky, maybe some folks did not set them up properly (seen a lot of that) or I do not what I am talking about. Either way, always surprises me when I read reviews that are so far away from what I have experienced. Same is true on pedal, forks and driveline and even cars I have bought. I am not criticizing anyone, just making an observation that I see over and over and over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    I am always at a loss to read about other Folks issues on equipment that I have used for years and years with zero issues. I have been on hydraulic brakes for 20 years and had plenty of issues during that time. Once I moved to XT and XTR brakes, all my issues disappeared. In fact, the XTís work better than the XTR but all my sets work very well, bleed easy and have never leaked. Started out on Hayes brakes, the original light switch. Maybe I have been lucky, maybe some folks did not set them up properly (seen a lot of that) or I do not what I am talking about. Either way, always surprises me when I read reviews that are so far away from what I have experienced. Same is true on pedal, forks and driveline and even cars I have bought. I am not criticizing anyone, just making an observation that I see over and over and over.
    Umm... Go read his post again.. he bought guide R's.

And for the record I have been on Guide R', Guide RSC's, Hope E4's and finally settled on Magura MT7's. I'll run these until I can't run them anymore. Then I'll buy another set.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was going to buy XTs but read all about this wandering bite point issue which put me off. I went with Guide RSC's to replace my guide R's which had more lever throw than I liked. The RSCs so far have been great.

I should add that I switched to metal pads because the OEM organic ones that came with my Guide R's weren't great and didn't last long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    Umm... Go read his post again.. he bought guide R's.

And for the record I have been on Guide R', Guide RSC's, Hope E4's and finally settled on Magura MT7's. I'll run these until I can't run them anymore. Then I'll buy another set.

I did read all the posts on this thread. Not sure your point. Mine was I keep reading reviews that do not come close to my own extensive experience. I do not understand the disconnect. Thatís it, nothing to the post more than that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    I was going to buy XTs but read all about this wandering bite point issue which put me off. I went with Guide RSC's to replace my guide R's which had more lever throw than I liked. The RSCs so far have been great.

I should add that I switched to metal pads because the OEM organic ones that came with my Guide R's weren't great and didn't last long.
    I was also thinking about switching over to metal pads before my install, did you notice any real difference in performance other than pad life?

mtbr member
    If you are on a budget, SLX brakes are just as good as XT but cheaper.

mtbr member
    I own two sets of XT and one SLX. I have no argument with your statement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    To the OP get the Magura MT Trail Sport. The first MT 8 had some uses but now they are fixed and all the other MT designs are very good thru the MT4.
    The main objection is cost and lever size. Magura now offers 1 finger levers but usually as a add on so more $$$. The sweet spot is the Magura MT Trail sport for about $160 a PAIR From Europe. They have a 4 pod MT 5 front with a 2 pod MT 4 rear. Comes with short single finger levers at no extra cost. Little heavyer than the MT Trail but 1/2 the cost.
    Best brake I have used including countless Maguras, multiple Hope version, Shimano XT n XTR multiple versions and too many horrible offerings from Avid/SRAM. I just erased my SRAM Avid hydrolic brake tirade. Y'all didn't need that.
    Get the Maguras they rock and Jude Monica the USA tech rep is the rockstar of brakes.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h6hmHi6Jbv8

dirt visionary
    I have run many different brakes over the years and have settled on hope tech3 e4's and v4's across all my bikes. When setup proper they are a very solid performer and IMO like king hubs and will last forever. Plus they are bling. I scored my sets when our dollar was strong vs. the uk and bought from the UK with no fees or customs. When paired with their newest rotors the offer one of the largest braking surfaces on the market. Modulation IMO is bar none and one can damn near keep the same feel all the way thru the pads life when adjusted as needed. Maintenance is a breeze and bleeding them is damn simple and quick.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

renaissance cyclist
    My first two disc brakes, Hayes and Avid hydraulics worked well when everything was new and perfect, but it didn't take long before they required frequent bleeding (and were a pain in the ass the bleed) and it seemed like they were constantly squeaking and rubbing and requiring adjustment.

I came to the conclusion that disc brakes were just a trick the bike industry pulled to force us all to spend more on brakes by no longer making good bikes with posts for V-brakes. Granted, I have lived in mostly arid climates and almost never end up rim-deep in mud when disc brake are most beneficial. I eventually ended up replacing the Avids on my Anthem with Shimano XTs and my most recent bike just came with XT brakes.

Now my attitude toward disk brakes has come around... I still think i'd be perfectly happy with V-brakes, but I don't hate the Shimanos, because they just work, I don't feel like I'm constantly futzing with them. I replace the pads and bleed the brakes every year or so because I know I should, not because they have stopped functioning and it isn't nearly as complicated as with other brakes I've had.

As is usually true with Shimano, I'm sure the mid level versions work well too for significantly less money with a small weight penalty.

mtbr member
    You state the situation very well. I have had similar experiences. Safe Travels

Cymru am byth!
    XT is the best bang for buck.

plus side:
    easiest brake bleed
    work
    last
    always feel the same
    mineral oil and not DOT (easier to clean up and won't ruin paint of frame)

In my experience SRAM brakes are hit and miss. Lever feels the same sometimes and sometimes they don't. Pain to bleed.

mtbr member
    Agree with Clockwork. Hope brakes are very good. The modulation is far better than Shimano or SRAM.

Iíve owned XT and SRAM on other bikes and while they work, they are a distant second / third to Hope.

My current set is 8 years old and going strong. The new bike will have Hopeís as well.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    I did read all the posts on this thread. Not sure your point. Mine was I keep reading reviews that do not come close to my own extensive experience. I do not understand the disconnect. Thatís it, nothing to the post more than that.
    So youíre saying youíre surprised that not everyone agrees with your opinion? Iím shocked.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    And, yes, Hope brakes are the best on the market. You pay, but they tend to last a long time. Everything else is a very distant second. Though, Iíd be open to trying new Maguras. Last set I had had a weird lever and pull, but that was years back.

mtbr member

New question here.

After a decade of not riding my old discs were hayes and avid disc which i enjoyed in colorado. I recently bought Mach 5.5 Pivot with XT brakes and they are crazy strong but zero modulation(causing me to lose the front with my motorcycle style braking), my friends XTR brakes have better modulation.
    I am considering the hope 3 E4 or was looking at the discounted Magura Trail Carbon $325 a pair. I like the idea of the hope lever adjustments for being able to tune pad distance and bite/levage point like my Brembo RCS19 MC on my motorcycles. plus like the idea of 4 pads and stronger calipers on the hopes, and floating rotor.

I am concerned that the Magura didn't have adjustable pad distance.
    Also the comments above about the Magura carbotech not bleeding heat of is now a concern for the lighter Magura Trail Carbon.

I am a 1 finger braker so with the Magura i would have to buy those $69 new lever for each side which is damn exensive. Any other thoughts between Hope/Magura?
    I hate squealing brakes so organic pads - do hopes or magura squeal more or do different rotors work better.
    Should i keep my XT rotors or stick with matching brand rotors?

Keep on Rockin...
    Good thread.

Been a Shimano XT fan for years. But on more recent models the lever throw/bite point changes with rapid succession pulls in cold weather riding - which I do a lot of. Two sets of XT and a pair of Saints do this consistently in cold weather. I do dig the on or off feel of Shimano, but I started riding disc brakes on Hayes and those were really on/off brakes. Actually still have a functional pair of Hayes Mag Pluses.

Guides are OK, but bleeding them is a hassle.

I can get Hopes close to cost and thinking of going that way. Had the original Hope Mini way back when. Think it was their first brake. No good. Stayed away since, but lately have hear all great things about Hope.

Those Magura Trails do look nice. Will have to check them out.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Iíll take another set of Tech 3 E4 at cost if youíre offering.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Sign me up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Make it 3!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.