Old but slow.
    Apr 2005

Well, Crap . . .

I know I promised no more posts, but as it turns out, I won't be able to put my money where my mouth is on Wednesday. I just booked a Grand Canyon hike for Wednesday and a canyoneering trip for Friday.

Probably just as well anyway.

Best of luck; keep the rubber side down!

AKA shitbird
    Whew! I was expecting another S-storm thread of cat fighting.

Enjoy your trip! Isn't the canyon a bit hot this tiime of year? Like REALLY hot?
    JRA

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    The Grand Canyon gets warmer as you descend but we're only going down to Cedar Mesa for lunch. The temps @ the rim should only be in the 80's too.

As for the canyoneering trip we're going into Salome - a wet canyon. The hike in/out is warm but not bad if properly prepared.

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by 360 Adventures
    As for the canyoneering trip we're going into Salome - a wet canyon. The hike in/out is warm but not bad if properly prepared.
    Enjoy the slime. The green is in full effect right now.

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    really? I have a group in today so I was expecting to hear some beta from them . . .crud! How recently were you in?

Thanks for the feedback.

banned
    Just be sure to not hike over the center line, or run around blind corners and you should be ok

Does the up-hill hiker have the right-away?

mtbr member
    The Grand Canyon gets warmer as you descend ...
    Really? We had no idea.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

AKA shitbird
    The Grand Canyon gets warmer as you descend but we're only going down to Cedar Mesa for lunch. The temps @ the rim should only be in the 80's too.

Sounds nice. Congrats on leaving this oven of a city for a few days
    JRA

mtbr member
    Those slackers on the burros are lazy and have not earned their turns.

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    You could learn a lot from me skinny . . .I even wrote a book: How to piss off people in 100 words or less.

Not available in stores so order now! But wait, there's more . . . order now & we'll send you a copy of my original book Lose friends & alienate everyone. Just pay separate postage & handling.

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    Serenity NOW!

No mames guey
    really? I have a group in today so I was expecting to hear some beta from them . . .crud! How recently were you in?

Thanks for the feedback.
    I was in the Jug last month and the slime was coming in nicely. It may or may not be worse now. The general consensus is that April/May is the best time to avoid the slippery green stuff. It might be better to hit one of the West Clear Creek canyons (Xpine, Meadow, Sundance (if you have big cojones)).

wrecking crew
    PHEW!!!! Judging from title of this thread I thought I was going to see another Geronimo Bench Pooh story...

Have fun hiking the canyon...hiking down is worse than hiking up IMO. As for Salome, a friend does that canyoneering hike and the pics of that are always awesome!
    ~~~

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    We don't have commercial permits for WC canyons yet and dealing with Red Rock Ranger District is a little dicey right now - workin' on it though. As for Salome, April is great, May & June are perfect, but for some real excitement go in late March - tons of flow.

April & May also afford some great 30' & 50' cliff jumps in Salome that you can do over & over.

banned
    You could learn a lot from me skinny . . .I even wrote a book: How to piss off people in 100 words or less.

Not available in stores so order now! But wait, there's more . . . order now & we'll send you a copy of my original book Lose friends & alienate everyone. Just pay separate postage & handling.
    This guy has a pretty good sense of humor

Do you drive your customer's to the destination?

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    Yes, transportation is included in every tour. That's the primary reason I own a 15 passenger van. The secondary reason is because chicks dig vans - combined with a hammer & black mask it's the best way to get a girlfriend.

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005

banned
    OK food for thought how much to drag 4-6 Dh'ers to Angelfire for Labor Day weekend?

mtbr member
    Wow! That looks fun. Great pic.

mtbr member
    Yes, transportation is included in every tour. That's the primary reason I own a 15 passenger van.
    I want one of those 15 passenger vans.
    they are neat. I like them better than my current one. A Dodge Ram Van would be sweet...

The secondary reason is because chicks dig vans - combined with a hammer & black mask it's the best way to get a girlfriend.
    This is how I meet girls...this isn't the right way?

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    Well, despite my aversion to driving my bike to the top of a hill, I'm not opposed to helping out fellow riders.

HOWEVER, I'm the trip leader & chef on a private Grand Canyon rafting trip from August 28th through September 12th so I won't be around then. Maybe next time though!

banned
    That sounds pretty awesome and gnar in its own way.

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    It IS one of the coolest trips of all time. We even get to do Deer Creek, a technical canyon w/ a 180' rappel in a waterfall!

I'll take photos.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    ah....that cliff jumping looks fun!

Cess...you guys thinking about rolling to Angel Fire for Labor Day?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

banned
    Yea, I think Mikey and Posh Bigelow are down also. Posh has the free passes.

Leave on a Friday and drive to Candy to camp out. Wake up early and get to Angelfire for riding on Sat. Ride Sun and either leave to go back to candy or wait to drive back on Monday. Tentative itinerary (sp).

Too many Sedonuts...
    It IS one of the coolest trips of all time. We even get to do Deer Creek, a technical canyon w/ a 180' rappel in a waterfall!

I'll take photos.
    See? Now you're motivating me to get my certifications and start doing those tours too.

You're livin the dream, man...

Originally Posted by 360 Adventures
    Yes, transportation is included in every tour. That's the primary reason I own a 15 passenger van.
    I will add, that is the BEST HANDLING 15-passenger van in existence. Felt like a BMW on the corners.

-JB
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    You can totaly see down that girls shirt.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

banned
    Nice catch Matty, giggedy.

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    We're always looking for qualified guides! Obviously it's slower than geriatrics humping right now but we usually pick up during the cooler months.

mtbr member
    We don't have commercial permits for WC canyons yet and dealing with Red Rock Ranger District is a little dicey right now - workin' on it though. As for Salome, April is great, May & June are perfect, but for some real excitement go in late March - tons of flow.

April & May also afford some great 30' & 50' cliff jumps in Salome that you can do over & over.
    The upper end of Salome is pretty cool too but the hike is not nearly as tame as the JUG.

You ever get into Cibecue? I guess now you have to go w/ and "official" Apache guide but that's about the coolest canyon I've been to in AZ, incl. Grand Canyon and it's wonderful plethora of side canyons.

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    Yea, the jug is pretty easy; the upper end just takes so long. Yes, I've done Cibecue; there's an Apache guide named Greg Henry; he's an ACA certified guide. Cool dude! You can go up as far as the first waterfall w/o a guide, but you'll still need a day permit.

You should do Parker Canyon. It's a parallel drainage to Salome, but deeper & more technical. There's a good hike out, canyon right, just after the 80' rappel. It's a 3rd class hike that takes you out to the road. It's a GREAT canyon.

No mames guey
    Yea, the jug is pretty easy; the upper end just takes so long. Yes, I've done Cibecue; there's an Apache guide named Greg Henry; he's an ACA certified guide. Cool dude! You can go up as far as the first waterfall w/o a guide, but you'll still need a day permit.

You should do Parker Canyon. It's a parallel drainage to Salome, but deeper & more technical. There's a good hike out, canyon right, just after the 80' rappel. It's a 3rd class hike that takes you out to the road. It's a GREAT canyon.

I second that. Here's the 80' rappel right before the Stair Climber exit. This picture is from April, so there is likely little or no water right now.

Also good is Crystal Canyon. There's a 40', followed by a swim before the 70' (with consequences if you miss the second anchor).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downhill Messiah
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Yea, I think Mikey and Posh Bigelow are down also. Posh has the free passes.

Leave on a Friday and drive to Candy to camp out. Wake up early and get to Angelfire for riding on Sat. Ride Sun and either leave to go back to candy or wait to drive back on Monday. Tentative itinerary (sp).
    Dude, adam and i were just kicking the idea of rollin to angelfire labor day weekend. we should get a group to head up there and represent the az.

Have u ever ridden up there, if not u have to go, it's incredible. the speeds u can reach are waaaaay fast!!!!
    Madspeed always prevails!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73
    I second that. Here's the 80' rappel right before the Stair Climber exit. This picture is from April, so there is likely little or no water right now.

Also good is Crystal Canyon. There's a 40', followed by a swim before the 70' (with consequences if you miss the second anchor).
    Nice! I've heard of Crystal. Is that the San Carlos? Otherwise, Parker is on the too do list but the last decade or so seems to have been more dedicated to mtn biking

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tgiles
    Dude, adam and i were just kicking the idea of rollin to angelfire labor day weekend. we should get a group to head up there and represent the az.

Have u ever ridden up there, if not u have to go, it's incredible. the speeds u can reach are waaaaay fast!!!!
    Sounds good. Posh is down for sure... hopefully his bike lives long enough to see the day.

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Nice! I've heard of Crystal. Is that the San Carlos? Otherwise, Parker is on the too do list but the last decade or so seems to have been more dedicated to mtn biking
    Yes, Crystal is on San Carlos res. It is a good long day if you run the tech section twice.

Parker is highly recommended. It is my favorite in that area of the state. You can do it and the Jug in the same day.

Tucson, AZ
    fun canyon! Have you ever done upper Salome?

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    You can totaly see down that girls shirt.
    This site needs a zoom feature

Members who have read this thread: 0