EDR

A Wednesday to myself....

So, on a whim I hit National up to the saddle and back at 1pm today. I was feeling really good after a full nights sleep and decided I needed to start acclimating myself to the dreaded summer time-to-come.

Started off with plenty of folks at the Pima lot and on the fireroad. Once I headed up Natty my lungs were bursting as always (I don't ride enough) but my legs felt GREAT! I cleaned a few things I haven't cleaned in a while, like the short up the rock crack and two or three things I can't easily describe in text...but you know them. Anyhow I did not see a single person all the way up, during my 20 minute relaxation in the sun at the saddle, or on my way down. Not until I got to the Waterfall. Just when entering the shute on the right a rider was attempting to come up at the bottom. I stopped short of the descent, we exchanged pleasantries about the ironic timing and moved on.

Great day on the bike That is all.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'll be doing the same tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Raced home from work last night threw on my gear, threw camera in camelback,slammed bike on rack ,sped to trailhead parking ,quickly prepared to ride so I would not to miss the cool sunset photo, chatted w/ cool other biker who just came back off the trail, realizing I might blow the cool pic I dbl paced it up the trail ran into some cool folk's asking directions ,had a fun chat , exchanged pleasantries shared some Stoke now realizing I'm gonna for sure miss the sunset made it a mission to do the best I could to make it to the ideal photo spot I slammed into a cactus then spent 10 min. pulling out thorns continued on at a hurried pace in spite of the obstacles then ran over a whatchamacallit punctured tire but the sealant did it's job , made it finally to the destination then realized it had turned pitch black and laughed looked at watch ..flipped on the light headed back down the trail dodging the lil critters as best I could as I left the trail another rider was just headed up "Great night for a Ride" response "Yep"...

EDR

A Friday to ourselves....for the most part.

Another great day on the bike. 2 times in a row is rare for me these days.

Anyhow my buddy Ted and I headed up Natty at 8:30 this morning. We came to the very first step up right after the Natty/Mormon decision split...it's only like 75 feet from that big rock cairn. Anyhow he made a feeble attempt, and my just as feeble attempt followed. Getting the front wheel up is no problem, but any further, forget it. In the countless times I've ridden up Natty in the past 5 years I have never made that step up.

Well, after riding a bit with the infamous "Ronnie" a few weeks back, and watching him climb up it twice we decided to session it for a while. Usually after 4 or 5 attempts at something I just become gassed and give up. Not this time! After a few sessions and failures I hit that thing perfectly. Got the front up, kept the pedals moving, pulled up the rear...slight pause before pulling the front up and over the rock on top that ALWAYS stops my momentum and gets me stalled and what the hell.....I was up and over. No dabbing, no falling, no joke. I was stoked. Ted was so pissed he tried it for another 5 minutes before I went and did it again

The key, as I am learning, is to take stuff in partial chunks mentally, rather than looking at it as one big obstacle.

I'm not here to toot my own horn whatsoever. It's just that with the lack of riding time I get these days, the extra pounds I've put on over the last year and my general lack of riding 'commitment' I am starting to get the mtb fever back. A renewed passion if you will. Riding lately has felt like it did several years ago and National trail, even after a hundred rides, still provides a challenge and a thrill every time. We're fortunate to have such a trail in the middle of a mega-tropolis.

Another great day on the bike
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 04-30-2011 at 12:35 AM.

My other ride is your mom
    It's not a brag...if you done it. Good on ya' mate.....getting something for the first time....after not getting it for a long time is what keeps us going back for more.....to me, it's the core of this endeavored ride on all things two-wheeled. The addictive chemical which bonds us to the ride......the je ne sais quoi........forever to be undefined, yet sought after.

National is always good for the je ne sais quoi......

I love bike!
    EDR...I get soooo close on that first obstacle as well but always hit that darned little ledge with the front after getting over the meat of the obstacle . Good on you for finally conquering it. Your success story just makes me want to get out and try it again. I know I'll get it someday soon too

EDR
    Madd: thanks for the props
    dsittman: I was actually inspired a bit by Bigomike's video and thread. Watching him try that section over and over got me thinking about spending some time sessioning a few things on Natty. Practice (obviously) is key. I learned more about that section in a single 20 minute stint than I have in years of hitting it once or twice a week.

Members who have read this thread: 1