mtbr member

We need one of these... (A Phoenix Bike Park)

My wife's parents live in Green River Wyoming and I've always dreaded going there to visit them... every time I went I was always kind of bored... Not anymore!

http://www.greenriverbikepark.com/Home.html

I've been begging her to let us skip Seaworld and go there instead. I have a feeling my next 2 week visit is not going to be long enough. Maybe we could talk with the Hilride folks and find out what it would take to get something like that here in Phoenix. Maybe use Alan's connections at MMP (since he's already got the ball rolling a bit).

banned
    That is a SPECTACULAR idea...

banned

No good

Quote Originally Posted by eyescream
    That is a SPECTACULAR idea...

Downhillfatter...different name same doosh. Is this the post where you cry about how you lost your e-pals?

mtbr member
    Where do we start? Hilride? MBAA? Alan?

mtbr member
    Sent an email to Hilride... I will let you know how they respond.

mtbr member
    I sent an email to the Green River Chamber of Commerce asking about more details of how the park came to be there. Here is an excerpt describing how things went down for them:

I was able to get a grant from the Wyoming Business Council to take some members of the Chamber’s bike club to the International Mountain Bike Associations, (IMBA), conference in Park City two years ago. I also convinced folks from the City’s Parks and Rec. Department to go as well. At the Conference we heard a presentation about the bike park ideas; Hilride was one of the presenters. The City received a Planning Grant from the State and hired Hilride as the consultant. The City invested about $75, 000 into the project and had the land available. The Bike Club then worked on it and got the community to donated materials and tools. The Alternative High School sent about 100 of their students to help with two of the build days. There were close to 30,000 volunteer hours on the park. The community has been very supportive of the Park, despite a few “bumps”.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey
    My wife's parents live in Green River Wyoming and I've always dreaded going there to visit them... every time I went I was always kind of bored... Not anymore!.
    Green River looks pretty close to SLC, seems like you could find some good riding around there.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    alternative high school?? i thought the PC term was 'behaviorly challenged'
    although you have to admit, high school students make for great slave labor...,

mtbr member
    It's about 2.5 hours outside of SLC. I found a post on a Utah Mountain bike forum which has some pretty kick ass photos and ride report:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UM...dd987711e6802f

My wife's family lives in Green River and we are going to be visiting there in July. For a small town in Wyoming they are amazingly progressive. I'd like to work on getting a city in this area to engage on something like this. I've written the Gilbert Parks Department and I recommend everyone write their local parks departments. We only need one city in this area to bite. Even having something like this up in Prescott or Flastaff would be pretty cool. I would make the drive there to ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    alternative high school?? i thought the PC term was 'behaviorly challenged'
    although you have to admit, high school students make for great slave labor...,
    Green River is a small gas and mining town. The alternative high school is more tailored to students who would forego college and enter the workforce immediately. It's not necessarily a high school for behavior problems. There are good kids who end up graduating from there to go on to make 6 figure incomes in the Gas industry.

mtbr member
    I went into the City of Mesa parks & Rec office about 1.5 -2 yrs ago to ask about the plannning stages of a skills DJ park. The director said if I could show that we would have the funds to cover maint and ins that that would go a long way in starting talks. Right now they don't want or have funds to put towards this. But this is also why I am applying to be on teh parks & recs counsel in Mesa.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    I have a feeling the biggest issue in this area is going to be money since the entire state is basically broke. I think we could make something work if we could find a city that has some land they would be willing to let us use. Then raise money through sponsorships (local and national) and use volunteerism to build it. Maybe come up with a fund for maintenance that the city could use to maintain it or possibly maintain it with volunteers too.

I'm newish to the mountain bike community here, how popular is MBAA? My impression is they are mostly focused on racing. They don't seem to have many group rides organized. Again since I'm newish it seems like the Arizona Forums on MTBR.com has more to offer. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

It seems like we are not very organized as a community (again... correct me if I'm wrong).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have been banging around the idea of a park out here. Indoor is not really possible, but I have contacted the ADOT about a park under their overpasses, no luck.

Another idea is to find a private land owner to let us rent vacant land, but this costs money. Doing this as a non profit will be tough, especially since we have so much nice trails out here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If everything goes well at McDowell why could we not do it there? It already has a good start why not finish it?

mtbr member
    I don't think the amount of nice trails invalidates the need for a bike park. Bike parks are good for practicing skills to use on the nice trails I think our best bet is to find a local agency that will allow us to raise funds, use donations and volunteers to build the bike park.

I like the work that Alan's done out at MMP (big props to Alan! )... I just ordered a new bike for the pump track. Thanks to Alan's work he has indirectly helped the economy by giving me a good reason to buy a new bike.

I think we should build on that and organize a bit. Get some local sponsors to help pay for building materials, signs, etc... Come up with a master plan and present it to the board out there. Find a sponsor for a volunteer day where whoever comes out and works gets some swag (t-shirt, food, gift certificates, discounts, whatever). Maybe come up with a system... maybe for every hour you work, you get a entered into a drawing for a sweet new bike.

I'm just brainstorming here...

mtbr member
    The biggest challenges are money, liability and labor. Once you have all of those concered the next issue is time and patience. The McDowell pump track is a small step in the right direction. The success there came from showing them that it could be built with no cost to the County Parks department, volunteering to oversee the project from design through construction and then constantly nagging (just short of pissing someone off) for nearly 2 years.

The current challenge is organizing volunteers to build it. While we have had a couple of good days were 6 or more would show up to work, the majoritiy of the work days have been 1 to 4 volunteers. A great deal of that is my failure to organize work days far enough ahead of time and not on holiday weekends so that volunteers are available. Back to the perserverence - it will get done, it just takes time and persistance.

I don't know that a full on bike park will ever happen at MMP but there is a possibility to add some skills building features and who knows what else if the pump track goes over well.

mtbr member
    What can we do to help? I'm super pumped about the pumptrack (pun intended). I want to see this be successful.

Members who have read this thread: 0