we got wet!- Mtbr.com

Thread: we got wet!

im4Gsus

Bonking ... not feelin' well we got wet!

yup, we did. how 'bout you?

rod and i headed up to 124th street to ride lost dog - taliesen - quartz but we didn't make it. when we got there the sky was threatening but not too bad. we got on our way enjoying the cool breeze even though it felt very humid (cuz it was!).

[edit: stupid pics load up backwards - grrrr]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

im4Gsus
    we didn't even make to the "T" with old jeep trail. why? the lightning was getting more severe and the sky looked like this! we turned around and headed for shelter but didn't quite make it! it was coming down hard!

im4Gsus
    when it let up a bit we packed our soaked butts and muddy bikes out of there. driving home to mesa we could hardly see the mountains. it was a very short ride but we enjoyed it nonetheless.
    here i was wringing out my gloves.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Been overcast pretty much all day in Prescott. Storming like crazy here right now, lots of intense rain, continuous thunder, etc. Can't ride right now, but I got a nice ride in last evening on moist trails and it's 70 degrees or less right now, so hard to complain.

Edit: Now it's 60!
    Last edited by Jayem; 09-05-2009 at 01:33 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

AZ
    banned
    Lightning , thunder and lotsa rain in Eagar .

mtbr member
    Got the Dells loop in just before the down poor. WooHoo.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose

rod and i headed up to 124th street to ride lost dog - taliesen - quartz but we didn't make it. when we got there the sky was threatening but not too bad. we got on our way enjoying the cool breeze even though it felt very humid (cuz it was!).
    My wife and daughter went shopping while I headed off to the Desert Classic on my Cyclocross bike to take advantage of the noontime 78 degree temperature and light sprinkle.

I rode the easy part of the Desert Classic from Warpaint to Pima Canyon and saw just one other mountain biker and five hikers, total. The Pima Canyon parking lot had just a few cars.

It's really nice to see that the Ocatillos have turned green again. The trail was ego dirt and just right for my not-so-skinny tires.

But no, I did not get (very) wet. Disappointing -- I thought that I would be chased home by lighting or something like that.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

Quote Originally Posted by kaboose

[edit: stupid pics load up backwards - grrrr]

Yeah, that was something, huh.

My wife and I ran into y'all at the Lost Dog trailhead after getting thoroughly soaked coming down from Sunrise. Of course 5 minutes after leaving the Lost Dog TH to get to the car it started coming down again ensuring that we were soaked to the bone.

I kind of enjoyed riding through the mini-rivers that the trail had turned into. It was truly an interesting experience - not one you get to have too often out here.

The .05 percent
    peaks all whitecapped, stormed really hard. Glad I didn't get out early woould have got hit hard today.

mtbr member
    good thread kaboose, thanx. I rode at somo dis moaning at about 6:15 am. I rode up Mormon to National, and then went down National back to pima canyon car lot. then i rode DC out to the water tank. on my way back to pima, it started sprinkling just hard enough that i coulda used wipers on my yellow lenses. could hardly feel it though because of the 192 % humidity. still was a fun time out there.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yup, it's cold here from all the rain.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

My other ride is your mom
    I rode this mornin....don't think I can claim it was cold down here Hawes way....more like Nam weather.....rain comming sideways, downways and up from the ground......trails are awesome.

mtbr member
    I got out to DC around 5:30am and rode from the Pima Ramadas, to the Foothills and back and just as I was getting back into my car it started raining. Temps were great but humid

livin' the dream......
    The one saturday in the last 8 months I had to work was today. I love riding in this weather, but not meant to be this morning. Will have to wait until Monday AM to get after it.........

I am Walt
    I rode the T100 area between 8 and 10 am, and dodged everything...the rain and lightning and thunder was all around, but never fell hard on the area between Tatum and the 51, at least before 10 am. It was building as I headed back to the 40th St. parking area; however, as there were some wicked lightning bolts that had me "turtling" and pedaling my ass off the last mile and a half to get back to the car. Then it poured torrentially on Tatum/Lincoln/32nd St....

Be interesting to see if anything pops up tomorrow morning after all of the energy of today.
    Ride more; post less...

Got a suspension fork
    I was taking the family to Flagstaff this morning but I wanted to get a ride in so I rode Trail 100 starting at about 5AM with lights. Beautiful early morning ride, and I could see a bunch of clouds once it got light, but no threat of rain early today.

But WOW did it pour hard on the drive north to Flag.

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I rode the T100 area between 8 and 10 am, and dodged everything...the rain and lightning and thunder was all around, but never fell hard on the area between Tatum and the 51, at least before 10 am. It was building as I headed back to the 40th St. parking area; however, as there were some wicked lightning bolts that had me "turtling" and pedaling my ass off the last mile and a half to get back to the car. Then it poured torrentially on Tatum/Lincoln/32nd St....

Be interesting to see if anything pops up tomorrow morning after all of the energy of today.
    I had planned to head out that way around the same time but wimped out due to what I saw coming on the radar. I underestimated some approaching thunderstorms a couple of weeks ago and got caught up just as I was riding home on Tatum. Seeing lighting approach while on the 1A is as a good a motivator to pedal hard as anything else IMO. I have to admit though, the extra motivation made for a real fun ride out of there

Finally got out around 5PM for a quick ride from Tatum to 51 today and absolutely loved the cooler overcast weather Can't wait to see how tomorrow's weather turns out

Trail Monger
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I rode this mornin....don't think I can claim it was cold down here Hawes way....more like Nam weather.....rain comming sideways, downways and up from the ground......trails are awesome.
    We were out riding Hawes this morning. It was still dark at 5:40 and light sprinkles. Rode up up near the cul-d-sac on Hawes. That section was really kool. Right after bombing down Hawes we took saguaro then secret. It poured so much water that the trails were mini rivers. It was like being a kid again stomping in the puddles. Anyways we skipped mine and disneyland and just rolled saguaro back to Hawes. That was really fun. Driving back at 9:30 on the east 202, there was so much rain that you could not even see anything. Hawes was the best place to ride in the rain!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

bi pass

I started at 6 and squeezed a bipass in before the rain. Thought about turning around at Windgate Pass and heading in, but the rain was moving slow. Trails were a little rougher from the rain 2 nights ago but it was nice to have some clean air to breathe. I came across a lot of hikers who no doubt got wet later. On my way down Bell I passed guy pushing his HT up. Tough.

It was like XMas morning for the active yesterday, people everywhere working out. Biking, running, hiking, doing yardwork. It has been a tough past 2 months with the heat. It was nice to get out and not worry about dying from a heat stroke.

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb

My wife and I ran into y'all at the Lost Dog trailhead...
    ah, cool to "see" you here. yeah, that was fun. after we left you, we headed south to explore the lower section of ringtail. when we got to 128th is when it poured heavy! we came back thru the rain and that was kind'a cool. reminded me of when i was a kid and mom would let us play in the rain.

coming down 124th, at the light with via linda we saw ~10 roadies completely soaked headed west. ooooh, them skinny tires on slick pavement - NO WAY!!!!!

im4Gsus

the sun popped up!

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009

I was out there at 5:30am to about 8am... great riding weather. Didn't want to go home but I finally ran out of water. I think I may have crossed paths with you on the single track going up to connect to T100 from zipline? Maybe, not; I was on a hardtail ti Voodoo.

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    u should have seen the weather at
    Sunrise! Came down the hill on the last run they had the lifts open and It was hailing and the trails where underwater! We rode through about 2 foot of water the whole way down!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Rode bell pathway to llama around to submarine in the middle of the storm. About 4 hours. Absolutely one of the best rides I've done in awhile, nothing but slick red rock and trails turned to streams doesn't get much better than that. Haven't had weather like that in awhile.

Members who have read this thread: 0