Waterfall First-Timer Tips?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Waterfall First-Timer Tips?

I'm about 95% confident I can ride down the waterfall. Thinking about giving it a shot this weekend. Any advice for a first-timer?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Close you eye's and let go of the brakes!

Check the U-toob, there are a bunch of vids w/ several different lines. Personally I ride the spine from rt. to left and then just follow the flow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan2W1
    Close you eye's and let go of the brakes!

Check the U-toob, there are a bunch of vids w/ several different lines. Personally I ride the spine from rt. to left and then just follow the flow.
    I've walked my bike down it several times... and I'm leaning toward the inside line. The spine looks hardest to me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It it kinda sketchy lookin' from waaay up top, but for me it flows the best. The inside rutted line closest to the rock has you pointed the wrong way where it drops into the rocky bit at the bottom.

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    I started by doing far right line which is not as steep, but takes way more control.

left line is easiest. it is a straight shot. Just point and go! Keep over the back of the seat and hold on!

Once you get over the mind f_ck of the first drop on left side you will say " That was easy"

Got a suspension fork
    Yeah that's what I think just by looking at it, the Spine seems the easiest line but probably takes bigger gonads to actually try it because of the fear factor.

I'm bringing my HD Camcorder so when Crispy does a Huffyboy we can all enjoy it afterwards.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    If I'm on my XC bike (HT 29er) I always take the right line slowly with a little pause at the top. If I'm on my suspension bike I take the spine or the left line with consistent momentum. It took me a while to get comfortable with the momentum part, but it is much more fun and less sketchy that way for me.

If you're going to ride the spine be sure to make your left turn wide enough so your rear wheel can follow the line of your front wheel. I've seen a few people skitter their rear wheel off the spine because they had not finished their turn before rolling down.
    Dirtbag on these boards spotted me through my first spine run a few years ago. Ever since that day the fear factor has been absent.

rip the line
    Jun 2006
    That's funny, I posted a thread about this a year ago and hot Huffy boy'ed also. Now I can roll about any line on it you can point me at. It aint bad at all.
    "I tried to live always free and above board like you" Cool Hand Luke

sixsixtysix
    Left line, point shoot and hold on. Its so easy that it's just as easy in the dark as in the day.

Fly High!
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Left line, point shoot and hold on. Its so easy that it's just as easy in the dark as in the day.
    it is like that but I'd have to say the drop in on waterfall at night (with NO lights) is the sketchiest thing on National at night! Now with a couple Magic shines........is a diff story!
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingRiot
    it is like that but I'd have to say the drop in on waterfall at night (with NO lights) is the sketchiest thing on National at night! Now with a couple Magic shines........is a diff story!

Nope, I think the upper waterfall is sketchier at night than the lower section. Its longer with a gentle curve and that wall on the right hand side can easily grab a bar since it is DARK coming through there even with a full moon.

I have ridden the lower waterfall both by moonlight and with just my bar mounted MiNewt and its easy, you don't need no stinking 900 lumen flood light!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My first time was with a broken rear triangle (didn't know it at the time).

I started with the right line, it needs more control and right-speed but requires less risk and is a good start to get your courage up. Take a wide turn into it and keep your mo' up. Once you get to the hole at the bottom scrub your speed some and stay way back off the front, or roll into it towards the left a bit.

Then for the spine I took a few minutes to talk myself into not grabbing the brakes at the top. Once I finally rolled it, I was so jazzed that I lost focus on the rock garden and almost OTB'ed. It was easy and smooth. Just gotta hold that line, and as someone said swing wide and get straight before you roll over the lip. Keep your eyes forward and head up. The wall under it before the rock garden doesn't even register, it rolls out smooth. Oh, and one tip to help start your line into the spine is to roll over that big flat boulder from the section previous before swinging left, it lines you up better.

I have not tried the line to the far left yet, maybe next trip. Although I'm still digging the spine.
    www.TucsonMTB.com Tucson Forum

www.sdmb.org Trail use advocacy club

www.tripsforkidsaz.org Tucson/Phx Chapter

Two wheels are better
    +1 for starting on right. Line is pretty easy and if you do fail you can put a foot down and be fine.

As many have said, left is easier from the standpoint that it is just point and shoot, but again as many have pointed out, it is more visually intimidating.

Haven't tried spine yet because I have the balance of a 85 year old woman with osteoporosis (that was the clinical diagnosis anyway)
    "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one"

eat your porridge jordie
    First time I rode national I rolled the waterfall no problem, and I think following someone who had done it before really helped. We took the left line and just stuck the spine. Depending on the kind of bike, speed will be your friend.

Just gotta do it.
    "If you want to do something ordinary people can't, you have to be willing to do what ordinary people won't"

Shred...it's the new drug
    Sendr' Bra...

Have some one at the bottom yell at you "Roll it you big Pu$$y!" That's what got me to do it. Stay of front brake, drag the rear a bit. Right, Spine, Left of spine, left, far left, they're all different but yet the same. After you roll it once, you'll be stoked and ticked at the same time, letting a little 5 second piece of trail scare you so much. I enjoy the spine as it's the lest choppy, but the left line is the most direct. The righty takes some finesse. Once you commit to the top, the bottom is butter, just remember to roll through the rocks at the bottom and brake when you hit the dirt. Look back, smile and fist bump your bro...you're now part of the club and can get your "I did the waterfall" tattoo!!!

mtbr member
    Nope, I think the upper waterfall is sketchier at night than the lower section. Its longer with a gentle curve and that wall on the right hand side can easily grab a bar since it is DARK coming through there even with a full moon.

I have ridden the lower waterfall both by moonlight and with just my bar mounted MiNewt and its easy, you don't need no stinking 900 lumen flood light!
    +1
    Just be safe and it doesn't matter if you can see or not

Dropping into the waterfall at night in the dark is awesome - looks like you're dropping into nothingness.

rip the line
    Jun 2006
    Just jump on sundog's rear tire and have him say just hug my wheel, I guarantee you won't die most of the time. That goes for nastier stuff than the waterfall. Crispy, come down and ride the upper 50 with me sometime, When you go back the waterfall will look like a cloud puff you can just roll down.
    "I tried to live always free and above board like you" Cool Hand Luke

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    First time for me was after many, many a stop and stare, then wuss out. My friend Kenny kept telling me the stuff I was riding on Holbert and Gerronimo was way more tech. He was right on! If you feel confident on Holbert or Geronimo, you can do it-once you do it you will wonder why you felt so intimidated for so long. My first run I proceeded to do it 4 times in a row to make sure it was not a fluke, it was my way of "owning" it. I personally ride the R line but realize mentally the spine is probably WAY easier so it is on my hit list. Once you do it you will love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetrider
    Just jump on sundog's rear tire and have him say just hug my wheel, I guarantee you won't die most of the time. That goes for nastier stuff than the waterfall. Crispy, come down and ride the upper 50 with me sometime, When you go back the waterfall will look like a cloud puff you can just roll down.
    The main reason I'm feeling confident about the waterfall now is because of Spring Fling... I jumped on some folks' tails and took some drops I never would have tried on my own. There was one vertical drop down a slick rock on Highline that I didn't even realize I was hitting until we were already past it. That ride really boosted my confidence in my (and the bike's!) capabilities.

sixsixtysix
    Here's the line. Follow this and you'll be fine.

I love bike!
    That vid makes it look like a few small rocks...ridiculous. Actually you roll that so fast if you blink you've missed it.

Sure doesn't look that way when I roll up on it and say to myself "maybe tomorrow"

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    That vid makes it look like a few small rocks...ridiculous. Actually you roll that so fast if you blink you've missed it.

Sure doesn't look that way when I roll up on it and say to myself "maybe tomorrow"

It is just a few small rocks... The biggest thing there is the 2 foot or so drop from the upper section into the lower section.

Thats the line most of us DHers take. To me, that is easier than messing around with "riding the spine" any day.

Oh, and you don't need big travel to hit that line, I have personally done it on 8.5, 7, 6.75, 5.5 and 0 inches of travel. Its all about just keeping your momentum and not hitting the brakes.

I love bike!
    haha...just noticed "cougar time" ad at beginning of thread...that's awesome

caninus xerophilous
    The big indicator that it is rollable is that it is still there and there is no line of crosses from fallen riders. Its all mind sex.

From the OP perspective compare it to Lunch Rock and the Big Steep on the 50 or our wee Waterfall on Millie. Its just point and shoot as long as you don't have an acute case of hand brake-atitus.

Watch a few people roll it and see how smooth it is. It aint so big, its just tall, thats all.

Nothing like rolling into an inky black abyss at night!

"No Clue Crew"
    Far right line:

Got a suspension fork
    I just talked to a co-worker who has ridden the Waterfall countless times.

His pointers:

- Easiest line by far is about 1' left of the spine - but you need big mo and a big bike for that.
    - Next easiest line is the Spine
    - you have to commit, obviously can't stop mid ride
    - look down at the drop below the spine, after that
    - look at the next section which you need good momentum to clear well
    - He thinks the far right line is the hardest to get right and has more things to go wrong like tagging your bars on the rocks.

fwiw.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Its all about just keeping your momentum and not hitting the brakes.
    This is the key.

Or you'll do what I did and endo at the top flinging your bike over your head to land at the bottom.

But even at slow speed its all doable. I think most people just panic and jam on the brakes at the last second, which = a bad time.

mtbr member
    i was stoked the first time i did it, and mad that i wussed out the first time i was up there. the spine rolls out smooth and easy.i kept messing up the right (easy?) line.