Watch Your Homes!!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    I think I need to Upgrade
    Reputation: AzSpeedfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,620

    Upset Watch Your Homes!!

    The Phoenix Police just hauled out of my neighborhood a guy that was going door to door trying to case homes to rob. He knocked on my door and covered the peep hole so I couldn't see him standing there. When I confronted him with weapon drawn he just stood there un-fazed!! and asked if some person lived there (who he knew didn't). He appeared to be high on drugs due to his speach being un comprehendable!!

    Apparently he and 3 of his friends are casing neighborhoods and robing houses in Ahawatukee and other areas. They have been seen driving an older Oldsmobile Cutless (unsure what year or color).

    The guy that came to my door was in his late teens early 20's, Black, about 5'5", black pants hanging off of his a$$ (gray/black plaid boxers) and a white t-shirt, i'll have a pic up of him later this afternoon so everyone can see what he looked like.

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Sweet, we are running out of dog food. Burglers are great Pitbull food. I live in Mountain Park Ranch, what is your neck of the woods?

  3. #3
    Shred...it's the new drug
    Reputation: latedropbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,844
    Damn, good thing you were home or you might be out a sweet bike or two... what kind of weapon?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    best way to answer the door in my neighborhood is with a loaded 12 gauge in your hand.

  5. #5
    I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    Reputation: Greffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    874
    I had some guy come to my house 2 mths ago asking for someone who doesnt live at my house eather. I think if it was the same guys they saw my big dog and decided agaist it.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

  6. #6
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    830
    How about these vans full of scum bags "selling magazines"?
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Those people are annoying but legit.

    Sales is the oldest profession. Believe it or not, knocking on doors is easy money (if you are legitimate) and fun in the right parts of the country. I made a cool $50k a year when I was 19-23. A lot better than the $9.00 hour construction job I had before. Plus you get to see the sides of MILF's that most may not... ALLLRRRIIIGGGHHHHTTTT

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kendogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    765
    Too bad you didn't have some "Peaches" to give him. That bird dog would probably just point out the valuables.
    .....

  9. #9
    Hikers=SHlT
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    192
    Great. I just moved to the foothills from Maricopa to get away from all the damn boofers.

  10. #10
    im4Gsus
    Reputation: kaboose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,203
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    ...asked if some person lived there (who he knew didn't)...
    next time tell him "yeah, he is but is taking a shower. he said for you to give me the $20 you owe him."

    good job brian in keeping that scum in check!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

  11. #11
    I think I need to Upgrade
    Reputation: AzSpeedfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    I live in Mountain Park Ranch, what is your neck of the woods?

    Same area.

  12. #12
    I think I need to Upgrade
    Reputation: AzSpeedfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    Too bad you didn't have some "Peaches" to give him.

    That would have been nice, fun AND ENTERTAINING!! Peaches would have loved to have him as a chew toy!! he was just the right size.

  13. #13
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,354
    you always answer the door armed?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    100
    You know it's bad when the description of the perp involves his underwear.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmarkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    you always answer the door armed?

    haha! I was going to ask the same question.

  16. #16
    I think I need to Upgrade
    Reputation: AzSpeedfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    you always answer the door armed?

    When I am not expecting anyone, and the person that is there decides to cover the peep hole then they get to see the business end of a .45 or a 12 gauge, I don't mess around!

    In the past 5 years on my street alone our truck has been broken into as well as 2 neighbors cars, neighbors truck was torched in their driveway barley catching their house on fire luckily my father and I cought it in time and were able to get water on it before it was able to take hold of the house and there have been 2 home invasions to top off the cake. Oh and yes I live in Ahawatukee Mountain Park Ranch.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bycyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    When I am not expecting anyone, and the person that is there decides to cover the peep hole then they get to see the business end of a .45 or a 12 gauge, I don't mess around!

    In the past 5 years on my street alone our truck has been broken into as well as 2 neighbors cars, neighbors truck was torched in their driveway barley catching their house on fire luckily my father and I cought it in time and were able to get water on it before it was able to take hold of the house and there have been 2 home invasions to top off the cake. Oh and yes I live in Ahawatukee Mountain Park Ranch.
    Good job being prepared to handle whatever could have happened. Much folks would just answer the door as always, thinking that nothing bad ever happens in their neighborhood.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdub347's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    you always answer the door armed?
    Nowadays it isn't a bad idea.

  19. #19
    oooh, shiny...
    Reputation: Ry-daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    450
    I was recently talking with my neighbors about door to door salesmen. They were telling me how a few years ago they noticed a huge rise in people knocking on their door. At the same time the auto theft in the n'hood shot up. Since then they always ask to see sales permits, and if one can't be provided they tell the salesman to leave the n'hood or they will call the police. But answering the door with a loaded 12 guage sounds good too. Are sawed offs still illegal?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bycyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry-daddy
    But answering the door with a loaded 12 guage sounds good too. Are sawed offs still illegal?
    Umm. Yes. Violates Class III weapons restrictions. This is really a topic better addressed on other forums - pm me if interested, but just to say be careful here. There are numerous legal as well as tactical considerations.

    Good to be prepared, but its also better perhaps to not answer the door to unknowns. If you do answer the door armed, I'd suggest you do so discretely so as to not end up being the subject of a police response to "man armed and threatening me."

  21. #21
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,354
    You will also see an increase in thefts on Bulk Trash days. Peeps cruise the 'hoods at night looking for good stuff to collect from the piles. Crimes of opportunity also occur.

    I found a guy picking through my pile last week. He did not appear like someone that should concern me so I just said hello.

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Get a door breaching attachment for your shotgun. You don't even have to open the door to shoot them and not have splinters get you in the eye. On the other side of the door however... sucks to be them.

  23. #23
    I think I need to Upgrade
    Reputation: AzSpeedfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist
    Umm. Yes. Violates Class III weapons restrictions. This is really a topic better addressed on other forums - pm me if interested, but just to say be careful here. There are numerous legal as well as tactical considerations.

    Good to be prepared, but its also better perhaps to not answer the door to unknowns. If you do answer the door armed, I'd suggest you do so discretely so as to not end up being the subject of a police response to "man armed and threatening me."
    For a shotgun it can be cut down or sawed off to what ever length a person wants sso long as it is not under 18" and you don't have to worry about the NFA tax stamp. If it is under the 18" (for shotguns 16" for rifles) then the NFA Tax stamp is required.

    I thought about not answering the door, but the driveway was full of vehicles so there were only 2 things that the guy would have thought either everyone was home or everyone was out of town. If everyone was home then someone would have answered the door and if no one was home no answer. When I answered the door the gun was not visible to him. When he stood there like a zombie when I ordered him off the property it was after that I drew down on him. Taking into account other details this was the best option.
    Last edited by AzSpeedfreek; 05-14-2009 at 01:01 PM.

  24. #24
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,354
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Get a door breaching attachment for your shotgun. You don't even have to open the door to shoot them and not have splinters get you in the eye. On the other side of the door however... sucks to be them.
    And be prepared to spend some serious time in jail.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AKA Monkeybutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,318
    Iím leaning to the call 911 thing if someone is covering your peep hole. I think we can all assume the perp is up to no good if the peep hole is covered. If anything, this may save your neighbors and their family a good amount of grief if they happen to be unfortunate enough to open the door.

  26. #26
    I think I need to Upgrade
    Reputation: AzSpeedfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    Iím leaning to the call 911 thing if someone is covering your peep hole. I think we can all assume the perp is up to no good if the peep hole is covered. If anything, this may save your neighbors and their family a good amount of grief if they happen to be unfortunate enough to open the door.

    911 was called it took them 30min to arrive on scene. I have a lot of respect for the Phoenix Police as well as any and all other Police Depts. but my gun is faster to protect my life and property as well as more reliable. Which is a big part of the reason why I own guns as well as have my CCW.

  27. #27
    Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    Reputation: motorcyclemike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist
    Umm. Yes. Violates Class III weapons restrictions. This is really a topic better addressed on other forums - pm me if interested, but just to say be careful here. There are numerous legal as well as tactical considerations.

    ."
    On the topic of class 3 weapons, anyone know where I can get a silencer?

  28. #28
    suvlako
    Reputation: suvlako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    519

    Southwestern co?

    Southwestern company? I did thesame thing and have a soft spot for the sales guys that pound the pavement, rain or shine. That really takes balls. As for the "scopers", I have two rotties and for some reason burglars choose other homes.Wierd?
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Those people are annoying but legit.

    Sales is the oldest profession. Believe it or not, knocking on doors is easy money (if you are legitimate) and fun in the right parts of the country. I made a cool $50k a year when I was 19-23. A lot better than the $9.00 hour construction job I had before. Plus you get to see the sides of MILF's that most may not... ALLLRRRIIIGGGHHHHTTTT

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bycyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    911 was called it took them 30min to arrive on scene. I have a lot of respect for the Phoenix Police as well as any and all other Police Depts. but my gun is faster to protect my life and property as well as more reliable. Which is a big part of the reason why I own guns as well as have my CCW.
    Exactly.

    911 won't save you in time if it turned out to be serious - like home invasion or something...which seems to be on the uptick around here as well.

  30. #30
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,354
    How many random home invasions really occur though? Typically the home dweller has been involved in some kind of shifty activity that triggered the invasion.

  31. #31
    Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    Reputation: motorcyclemike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    221
    I want to do home invasions, but just for fun not to steal stuff

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: az1jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Typically the home dweller has been involved in some kind of shifty activity that triggered the invasion.


    jeff

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmarkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    How many random home invasions really occur though? Typically the home dweller has been involved in some kind of shifty activity that triggered the invasion.
    True story-
    I had a home invasion before. Turns out the guy was drunk and thought he was home. He came in during the night and crashed on my couch. My riding buddies were there around 6am to greet him. They just assumed he was a buddy of mine. I also own 2 rotties who obvioulsy had no issue with giving up the couch to him.

  34. #34
    just 1 more
    Reputation: azjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    Iím leaning to the call 911 thing if someone is covering your peep hole. I think we can all assume the perp is up to no good if the peep hole is covered. If anything, this may save your neighbors and their family a good amount of grief if they happen to be unfortunate enough to open the door.
    A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone if things go bad, cops seldom get there until after the crime is long over.

  35. #35
    I'm with stupid -------->
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    How many random home invasions really occur though? Typically the home dweller has been involved in some kind of shifty activity that triggered the invasion.
    It only takes one when its your home that is the one.... However, locking doors and big dogs are my protection, guns are too risky especially with little ones (I know you can do a lot to protect this but the fact that its there poses some threat and chance of things going wrong).

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mamagobikeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    How many random home invasions really occur though? Typically the home dweller has been involved in some kind of shifty activity that triggered the invasion.

    Our house was recently broken into and it had to be random - that's the only way we can explain it. We are just regular hardworking people.

    As a side note, it's amazing how easy it is for these guys to just kick in a front door to enter the house. That is what happened to us. He kicked the door by the deadbolt and it splintered through the door jam. The guy had about 40 seconds to go to our bedroom and go through our drawers before the alarm sounded. The police said that bedroom drawers are the most likely place people stash their cash and valuables -- We are so glad he didn't go in the garage where he would've found about $25,000 worth of bikes!!!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AKA Monkeybutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone if things go bad, cops seldom get there until after the crime is long over.

    Yeah, I totally agree. You and your ďheaterĒ are the first line of defense.

    I was just pointing out, I would have opted to not answer the door. I would have been on the horn with 911 while I was getting my Mossberg 500 pistol grip loaded with the magnum slugs or a pistol depending on the flavor of the day. If he kicked in the door, it would have been a bad day for him/them.


    If they moved along, at least the cops would be on the way and possibly save a neighbor and their family.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    238
    Two nights ago my buddy woke up to two guys in his living room trying to figure out how to get his stuff out of his house. He has two chihuahuas (don't ask me why) that woke him up. He could hear them talking, but he couldn't see them without his glasses that he didn't grab. He did grab a golf club and chase them out of the house, over a wall, down the street, to the end of the block. He couldn't give a description to the police because he is totally blind without contacts or glasses. I'm suprised he didn't run into something while he was chasing them.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MC SAN ANDREAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    34
    We were just talking about this! it is going to be on the rise for sure! I know of 2 others personally ,, This Economy is making thieves out of the unemployed .
    I have an Alarm but it's not monitored , sorry for your loss Z
    saMc

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: az1jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    604

    steel security doors

    Quote Originally Posted by mamagobikeride
    Our house was recently broken into and it had to be random - that's the only way we can explain it. We are just regular hardworking people.

    As a side note, it's amazing how easy it is for these guys to just kick in a front door to enter the house. That is what happened to us. He kicked the door by the deadbolt and it splintered through the door jam.
    Get a steel security door. Steel security doors can deter thieves to look for another house to kick in.

    While on vacation or anytime I'm gone for a while, I wrap my garage door (from the inside) with big chain link and pad locks to its tracks on each side. I also cut to size a piece of wood and jam it in the sliding patio door tracks. Still doesn't stop them from breaking the glass, but I figure after they try to open all doors and windows with no luck, their only option is to make a bunch of noise by breaking glass, thus moving on.

    jeff

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.