WARNING, hardrock content!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

WARNING, hardrock content!!!

yes i do have a 03 hardrock pro 2, and yes i am building it up...and yes i know its a hardrock my question was what fork to get. i was tinking about a fax vanilla, rock shox pike 454, or a marzocchi of some sort, maybe an all mountain 1. i have most of the bike done, just need a fork and rims and was curious to see what my fellow arizonians thought. thanks for looking!!

ohh ya, im mainly doing freeriding, local trails (t100, sedona, etc)

sixsixtysix
    I would say do not get a fork with over 100-120mm in travel, that frame was not designed for it. If you stick a bigger fork like a 140-150mm "freeride" fork on it, you're asking to snap the headtube off and lose some teeth. Just my 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ya thats what i was thought. i was also thinking of getting an adjustable fork, so if i did get a new frame, then i would not have to get a new fork with more travel.

sixsixtysix
    Then the Pike would be your best option, it goes from 95-140mm with the U-Turn adjustment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ya i thought so, hopefully i can find one thats not to expensive. i need to put the hardrock back on the map!!!!!!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev0MaN
    ya i thought so, hopefully i can find one thats not to expensive. i need to put the hardrock back on the map!!!!!!
    FWIW I saw two used Pikes go on ebay a few weeks ago for around $240. Great fork at that price...great fork at retail price.

Still, sounds like a 140mm fork is pretty big for that frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ya but i can adjust the 140mm down to about 120mm, so thats all good. it was suggested to me that a marzocchi z1 would be a good fork. im thinkin it would be..... is it even worth it to build up this frame?? (honestly i think i will anyway, just curious to see what all you guys think)

EDR
    is it even worth it to build up this frame?? (honestly i think i will anyway, just curious to see what all you guys think)
    I can't say if it's 'worth it' or not. If a fork upgrade at a reasonable cost is the only money you plan on investing then it sounds like a good idea. However, if the fork will cost half as much as the frame is worth then maybe not such a good investment (although you could keep it for another bike in the future assuming the steerer is long enough) After all, it will still be the same frame no matter what fork you choose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ya thats true. i like the frame and i like hardtails. i know people give the hardrock a bad name, but i dont care, its the rider not the bike! anyways, can you adjust the hight on a z1? but ya i think i will keep the fork if i get a new frame. thanks for the quick replies!

It rains here. :(
    ya but i can adjust the 140mm down to about 120mm, so thats all good. it was suggested to me that a marzocchi z1 would be a good fork. im thinkin it would be..... is it even worth it to build up this frame?? (honestly i think i will anyway, just curious to see what all you guys think)
    I'm 50/50 on this upgrade as well. I don't know if it's worth the money you'll spend putting it back into an old bike, but I can't say how much you like this frame and how much life it has left in....Heck it's only cash, you can't take it with you when you die, buy a new fork and ride the thing till it breaks then get something new. Me, I'm a Marz guy so I'm partial to them but everyone says the Pike is really good also.
    07 GF Rig

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    I'm 50/50 on this upgrade as well. I don't know if it's worth the money you'll spend putting it back into an old bike, but I can't say how much you like this frame and how much life it has left in....Heck it's only cash, you can't take it with you when you die, buy a new fork and ride the thing till it breaks then get something new. Me, I'm a Marz guy so I'm partial to them but everyone says the Pike is really good also.
    I agree. It's worth it if it's worth it to you. I have nothing against hardtails or the Hardrock, I wish I still had my Trek 4900 hardtail (my 1st mtn bike.)

Bottom line I think...if you will ride the crap out of it, then it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Bottom line I think...if you will ride the crap out of it, then it's worth it.
    now thats what im talking about! so all and all a good 120mm for should be good? i dont want to over do it. i thought 140mm would be ok, but maybe not.

EDR
    now thats what im talking about! so all and all a good 120mm for should be good? i dont want to over do it. i thought 140mm would be ok, but maybe not.
    Check the specs on your bike. I am confident (100% sure) they won't make mention of running a 140mm fork. The head tube and geometry was just not designed to accommodate that length. I would guess that they don't even mention a 120mm fork, but I think most would agree that a 120mm fork is 'reasonable' for that frame, albeit greater than it was designed for.

Don't take my word for it, wait for more input. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    heres what i found:

BB height - 11 1/2"
    CS - 16 3/4"
    TT - 22 1/2"
    WB - 42 3/8"
    Stand over - 30 3/4"
    Head Tube - 5 1/2"
    Hbar- 24 3/8"
    Stem - 3 3/4"
    HA - 70 degrees
    SA - 73 degrees

All That is Man
    Well even if it's "wrong" to put that big of a fork on there, if you already know you won't care then just get it anyway. But after you spend the money and the time it probably would have been worth the money to just get a new bike. You're talking about putting enough money into the bike to where you might just consider putting it off and saving up $1000 for something new. Look into an IronHorse Yakuza or something for a relatively cheap extremely beefy bike.
    John

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ya i know, i have everything i need, just need a fork and rims. i was planning on getting a frame later, just not right away. as of now it has been quite a bit cheeper to just build this up then get a new bike, but then again the fork and rims are the most expensive parts. anyways, i guess the question now is, would 120mm be to big and "not safe" on this frame? i assumed it would be fine but some seem to be hesitant on getting a 120mm fork. keep in mind i only weigh 150 lbs.....im a lil boy

sixsixtysix
    I would get a Pike and run it at 110-120mm and it should be fine, definitely don't put a 140mm on that frame. It'll rake out the geometry and the chances of cracking/snapping the headtube are pretty good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ya thats what i thought...so what about the marzocchi z1? just us the eta to lower it down to about 115ish. is that a bad idea? then when i get a frame, i wont need a new fork. thanks again for the help guys!

sixsixtysix
    ya thats what i thought...so what about the marzocchi z1? just us the eta to lower it down to about 115ish. is that a bad idea? then when i get a frame, i wont need a new fork. thanks again for the help guys!

The Z1 is a decent fork, I have one on my AM bike, but its not the ETA one, just the 150mm and its alright. The Z1 is discontinued though, so it might be a little tough to find one. The 55 replaced it this year and IMO is a much better fork.

mtbr member
    one thing to remember about running the u-turn forks at lower heights than the max is that the spring rate increases as you reduce travel, the fork will feel stiffer at the beggining of travel. If you want good small bump sensitivity you might want o consider a shorter fork. I ran a tora u-turn at 130mm on my old hardrock and it never gave me any problems. Toras can be had for cheap and would be a very noticable upgrade over the stock fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    well there is a fellow mtbr member who is sellign a z1 for $200 in minty condish. i may do that or wait for a pike to come up. then i can get back on the damn trails!!

sixsixtysix
    Which Z.1 is he selling?

Another fork you may want to look out for since your a lighter rider is an older RS Psylo, which was the pre-courser to the Pike. I had 2 of them back in the day and they were ok fork most things with its 80-125mm adjustable travel. I wouldn't do doing huge hucks with one, but for general riding it would work, and probably be a cheaper option. Then you could just sell your Hard Rock complete later on and put the money to a newer bike.

Shovel Ready
    2005 Z1 FR ETA with with 5 & 6 inch springs and cartridges.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    2005 Z1 FR ETA with with 5 & 6 inch springs and cartridges.
    What's the travel adjust range on that model? Thats the older one with the 888 cartridges right? If so, thats one of the best Z1's Marz made.

Shovel Ready
    Adjust is about 3/4 of an inch if you push down hard while using the ETA. It's a great fork. I used it on my RFX in both 5 and 6 inch mode. I'm on the heavy side and did get a little bob on fire road climbs. Other than that it worked great for me. I would still be using it if I had a 26 inch wheeled bike. All 29'er stuff for me currently.

05 Z1 FR ETA
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Members who have read this thread: 0