Wanting to move to AZ- Mtbr.com
    I heart bikes!

Wanting to move to AZ

I want to move to AZ sometime next year and i want you guys input. Where in AZ can i move where i can ride year round?

im4Gsus
    tucson and phoenix.

but move now, don't wait till the summer
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Elitest thrill junkie
    It depends, do you consider 4 am and over 90 degrees to be "year round"? Once it gets daylight and well over 100, there aren't many people riding.

There are places in arizona that you can ride "year round", as well as ones that give you decent options. Flagstaff and Prescott come to mind. Flagstaff because it's a relatively short drive down the hill to Sedona in the winter if there's too much snow or it's too cold, Prescott has riding all year round with much more temperate climate than any of the lower elevations. It gets a little cold but nothing like flagstaff, and Sedona still isn't far away.

Phoenix is just as "year round" as Alaska, you can find people riding in any season, the question is, "do you have the dedication necessary to ride in such an extreme enviroment?"
    Last edited by Jayem; 11-17-2007 at 08:06 AM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Banana Split Anyone?
    That's correct. Phoenix is the place to be from October to May. And your job opportunities are mostly going to be in the Phoenix area. From June to September it's over a 100. But it's a dry heat! Now i've lived here my whole life and i live in North Central Phoenix. I am literally 4 minutes from Trail #100 at Squaw peak (those of us who thought it was presumptuous for the Gov to change the name still call it Squaw peak! ), one the best trails around. And it's literally in the center of Phoenix. I'm able to get in 4 or 5 rides a week cause it's so close to me! And then 30 minutes from SoMo and National Trail. Probably 45 minutes from Usary Park. About 20 minutes from Cave Creek Park. And maybe 45-60 minutes from the Estrella and the White Tank Mountains. And there's more from the Maricopa County Parks (I have a yearly pass)!

Click here: http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/biking.aspx

In the summer you are literally 2 hours drive away from some of the best forest riding out there in Flagstaff. It's usually 20-30 degrees cooler in Flagstaff than Phoenix in the summer. And there's lots of places to camp in Flag, Sedona is a bit closer but also a bit lower in elevation so the temp might only be 10-15 degrees cooler than Phoenix in the summer. Then you can always try the Grand Canyon which is a 4-6 hour drive depending on where you decide to park.

Hope that helps.
    "I do not think. Therefore I might not be."

All That is Man
    I would really hate to live in Phoenix. It's just too huge, too many people, and it feels too much like LA. IF you can make a living in Prescott or Flagstaff, definitely consider that over. Phoenix. Tucson is slightly cooler than Phoenix but it's still freaking hot here. At least it's a lot smaller of a town so it's tolerable.
    John

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Sierra Vista!

Great riding(MTB and road), no cholla, trees, two great bike shops, plenty of trailhead parking(most just ride from home), very few user conflicts on the trails, no Phoenix style traffic headaches, and it's ten to fifteen degrees cooler in the summer than Tucson or Phoenix, and it doesn't get too cold in the winter. True year round riding. The job market? Depends what you're looking for I guess.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Signal
    It's just too huge, too many people, and it feels too much like LA.
    You're joking right?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    You're joking right?
    No, he is not joking. He meant to say today's Phoenix feels too much like 1975's Los Angeles.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    No, he is not joking. He meant to say today's Phoenix feels too much like 1975's Los Angeles.
    Yeah but without the soundtrack to Carwash in the background!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I live in phoenix, and ride year round. Durring the summer, I ride at night with lights, or at the crack of Dawn. If you get into a good routine durring the spring it is easy to transition into summer riding. I usually start at 6:00am and finish by 8:30 or 9:00. Usually 1 or 2 times a month I venture the 2 hours to Flag for some high altitude rides. Durring the winter Phoenix is Ideal with highs in the uper 60's to mid 70's. Also durring the summer I ride more road miles. It seems I can deal with the heat until about 10:30 with the breeze you make for yourself while cruising on the road bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by robvallee
    . Durring the winter Phoenix is Ideal with highs in the uper 60's to mid 70's.
    Or 90s with the way this winter is shaping up
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

It rains here. :(
    Regarding Flag:

It rocks, there is no better riding in the state, and the pollution is nil compared to Phoenix, but one small thing I notied as a low lying Phoenician....there is no oxygen there. I'm sure after time you can find some but in the one day's visit there was none for me to breathe while riding.

Still though it was the best ride of my life.
    07 GF Rig

Sup?

Az sucks..

You'll hate it..

Stay away, the riding is horrid, too many
    rocks on the trails. Too much heat in the
    summer, and too many snowbirds in the
    winter!

Oh yeah.. it's crowded here.. just like
    Los Angeles in the mid 1970s!

(Entirely toungue in cheek if you didnt figure it out by now,
    but with a bit of truth, in that the more folks move here..
    the more crowded it gets. I look around sometimes and
    think.. damn.. this is a big city no 5. in population in the
    US to be exact.. when did this happen!?)

mtbr member
    I am a Phoenix (Valley) fan myself! Besides some of th great points the others posted about trail access you also can combine MTB traveling or personal travel into the equation.

What I mean is that is that you have the ability to get to great locations with ease. Vegas..an hour flight or a 5 hour drive, San Diego..same thing. Reno.Tahoe...easy flight, All sorts of great Mexico destinations. Winter time....drive to Flag for a quick snowboard or ski day (about 2 hours or so) or hit Sunrise (about 4 hours). The list goes on and on.

There is not much the Phoenix area fails to offer in the way of lifestyle either. We are large enough that virtually every interest group is represented here. I truly love it.

Eventhough I may get flamed for spamming Please feel free to PM me if you want some specific information about the Phoenix area. I have a pretty extensive database of links and information centers. In addition, if you have any questions about the rental, new home or resale home market let me know.

I noticed on your profile you are in sales. Out of curiosity, what type of sales are you in?

See ya,

Ross Cobb
    Long Realty Alliance
    Designated Broker/Owner
    480*768*3222 (office direct)
    480*980*0729 (cell)

mtbr member
    Phoenix kicks A$$. If you don't like the 1/3-year hot weather then you will not be happy and you need to move somewhere cold and crappy where the weather dictates what you do. If you can get up early or ride in the evening during the hot months, then you will love the amount of variety of trail and the numerous riding areas phoenix and the whole AZ state has to offer.

rockcrusher
    You'll hate it..

Stay away, the riding is horrid, too many
    rocks on the trails. Too much heat in the
    summer, and too many snowbirds in the
    winter!

Oh yeah.. it's crowded here.. just like
    Los Angeles in the mid 1970s!

(Entirely toungue in cheek if you didnt figure it out by now,
    but with a bit of truth, in that the more folks move here..
    the more crowded it gets. I look around sometimes and
    think.. damn.. this is a big city no 5. in population in the
    US to be exact.. when did this happen!?)
    Yeah, don't move here... there is no more room for you. It's too hot, crime is too high and not enough places to park at the local mountain... Try New Mexico.

Over the Hill
    What Jayem said about Prescott.

Jayem we did your Bill Williams Mountain Loop two weeks ago and it is a lot of work well worth ot....outsatnding...the Aspens leaves on the ground were incredable..THX.

I am not one that does well in the heat and mostly ride Flag, Prescott and Sedona. PHX smog, traffic, reminds me too much of So-Cal.

Dean

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    Phoenix kicks A$$. If you don't like the 1/3-year hot weather then you will not be happy and you need to move somewhere cold and crappy where the weather dictates what you do. If you can get up early or ride in the evening during the hot months, then you will love the amount of variety of trail and the numerous riding areas phoenix and the whole AZ state has to offer.
    Kind of blowing it out of proportion. Phoenix is above 80 degrees most of the year, like 9 months, not 1/3rd, and just because some place isn't the "hottest" like phoenix doesn't mean it's "cold and crappy".

I mean, how can you say the "weather would dicated what you do" in a colder climate? Doesn't the weather already dictate what you do in Phoenix? Are you doing 5hr epics when it's 115+? So how is that different from not being able to do a 5hr epic anywhere else? It's still the weather right? You can ride in rain, or snow, or cold temps, or whatever, it just depends on how dedicated you are. People ride in Alaska all year round, so if both Alaska and Phoenix are "year round", what is not year round?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    What Jayem said about Prescott.

Jayem we did your Bill Williams Mountain Loop two weeks ago and it is a lot of work well worth ot....outsatnding...the Aspens leaves on the ground were incredable..THX.

I am not one that does well in the heat and mostly ride Flag, Prescott and Sedona. PHX smog, traffic, reminds me too much of So-Cal.

Dean
    Glad you liked it, it's got decent payoff and the scenery and trails are absolutely amazing. You just "grind" the whole way up, but at least it never really gets worse, it just stays the same. I can deal with it due to the scenery.

All That is Man
    You're joking right?
    Phoenix is just like a mini L.A. to me. Yes I've been to L.A. a couple of times. L.A. is much worse, but Phoenix still has the same massive sprawl, ominous crowd kind of feel. Plenty of riding to do but I wouldn't say it's moving there for. A lot of people like to be a part of a big city though, for a redneck like myself, I hate it.
    John

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Or 90s with the way this winter is shaping up

A true optimist.

Ouch, I am hot!
    So how is that different from not being able to do a 5hr epic anywhere else? It's still the weather right? You can ride in rain, or snow, or cold temps, or whatever, it just depends on how dedicated you are. People ride in Alaska all year round, so if both Alaska and Phoenix are "year round", what is not year round?
    Your hot weather vs. cold weather comparison is flawed.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Signal
    Phoenix is just like a mini L.A. to me. Yes I've been to L.A. a couple of times. L.A. is much worse, but Phoenix still has the same massive sprawl, ominous crowd kind of feel. Plenty of riding to do but I wouldn't say it's moving there for. A lot of people like to be a part of a big city though, for a redneck like myself, I hate it.
    Phoenix is not a mini-L.A. It does not even come close. LA has the worst traffic in the country. Phoenix is not even top ten. This alone is a mega-difference.
    I AM JUST A JERK

livin' the dream......
    Does it really matter how large a metro area is? For example: I work in Downtown Phoenix and live in North Scottsdale. It is pretty rare for me to have to drive to say, Gilbert for something (not knocking Gilbert, just using it as an example since it some distance away) I take care of my business (grocery shopping, getting gas, hardware store, restaurants, movies, etc) either in Downtown, or near my house. So to me, my "world" is limited to these two areas most of the time.

To help make my point: When you listen to the traffic report on the radio, and there is a back up or accident 30 miles from where you are, it is basically irrelevant? Right? So sprawl, while I am no fan of it, at some point becomes irrelvant based on how far you are from a particular area.

Air pollution, water consumption, urban heat island, do impact on a regional basis. Not sure if I am making sense here. Perhaps I need more coffee.............

Over the Hill
    Glad you liked it, it's got decent payoff and the scenery and trails are absolutely amazing. You just "grind" the whole way up, but at least it never really gets worse, it just stays the same. I can deal with it due to the scenery.
    I gave up 3/4 of the way up, the last road crossing, and finished the peak on the fireroad. My friend Scott (stjunkie) rode the single track all the way up.
    Dean

I heart bikes!
    Ruzz-------I sale furniture at a store called MOR...You have a couple there in your area, im sure you have seen them. Been in the furniture biz going on 5 years now. Would love to get out of it.. Tell you what i might just stay here in spokane, wa. Riding is great here and you cant beat the summer months here, it just doesnt last long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Year round riding in Tucson

Tucson has great year round riding, when it gets too hot just head up Mount Lemmon for some great summer riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm with Jaybo. Phoenix sucks in every way. I lived there in '94 and coundnt stand
    the heat. It was still hovering around 100 about midnight from what I remember
    in July. The strip malls, traffic, the as$holes on talk radio stations there, dont get
    me started on Phoenix. I'm moving to Seattle in March where you can ride year
    round, just wear your rubbers in the winter- I mean your rain gear, BTW

In the rear with the beer
    I'm gonna echo a few other comments. While I'd love to live in Flag, I live in Phx since my career kinda only gives me good opportunities in larger cities, but i've learned its the best base camp for AZ riding. I live on the Phx/scottsdale border, 4 miles from T-100. Within 30 minutes of a lot of other trails (Somo, etc.)...and have an annual pass for maricopa county parks, so could ride a diff. trail system every day of the week all within a quick drive. I think another benefit to Phx is that it is centrally located. I rode in Tucson this weekend (90 min.-2 hr away) and in the summer go to Flag on the weekends (2 hr drive). During the summer heat, being a 9-5'er, during the week I need to ride either early am or in the early evening anyway, so generally don't get a chance to ride in the worst part of the heat. On hot weekends, you can escape to the north (prescott, sedona, flag) with a quick drive, for long rides on their trails. Since we go to Flag so often to ride, my GF and I actually bought a tiny condo there for weekends (cheaper than hotels every weekend). If you were to live in either Flag or Tucson, it would make it harder to access the towns on the other ends of the state.
    So, in sum, Phx is centrally located, quick access to lots of its own trails, quick drives to other towns and climates. Plus you get a metro area so more job ops.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

In the rear with the beer
    I'll also point out a potential issue if coming from the northwest. When you fall here you don't fall on mud, dirt, or moss.....you fall on rocks, cactus and, if you are lucky, sand. Gotta be tough around here....I moved from PA and didn't quite mind falling as much when I lived there. My first crash in AZ resulted in a broken arm.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    I think you've gotten the idea. AZ is a great place to live, wherever you may land. I'm not a big fan of Phoenix myself but can understand the need to live there for work opportunities. Good luck!
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    the as$holes on talk radio stations there, dont get
    me started on Phoenix.

LOL... most people are smart enough to NOT LISTEN if they do not like it

Talk radio should not be a factor on what city to live in

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007

AZ sounds like Mtn bike heaven

I've only ridden Phoenix and Sedona (and Gila Bend), but driven thru and fought some forest and cactus fires in other parts of the state. SoMo was great but Sedona trails suck if you like to bomb, lots of climbs with little or no payoff. I'm intrigued with Prescott, Flag and Tuscon.

You'd think the Phoenicians would have learned from socal's mistakes but the sprawl is rampant, I understand it's now the largest City in the US as far as land area sprawl goes. Me and 5,000 of my closest buds will move to your fine state in the next year. We'll see you on the trail! Just kidding.

Fatman on a little bike

Snowbirds go home.

Quote Originally Posted by 2equis
    Yeah, don't move here... there is no more room for you. It's too hot, crime is too high and not enough places to park at the local mountain... Try New Mexico.
    As the other Native Phoenician, just visit! It is no longer a dry heat with everyone trying to bring their foliage and keep their yards green (like back home) in the Summer. We are not the Valley of the Sun, we're the Surface of the Sun.

Members who have read this thread: 0