My other ride is your mom

Walnut Canyon National Monument Extension Proposal

All,
    If you've ever ridden the AZ trail in and around Fisher Point on the western edge of Walnut Canyon, or Campbell Mesa or other regions around this area....please take a look at the link below.....and please comment as you feel is appropriate. I for one, don't want to lose the privilege to riding in these areas.

http://flagstaffbiking.org/2010/06/0...-canyon-study/

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    All,
    If you've ever ridden the AZ trail in and around Fisher Point on the western edge of Walnut Canyon, or Campbell Mesa or other regions around this area....please take a look at the link below.....and please comment as you feel is appropriate. I for one, don't want to lose the privilege to riding in these areas.

http://flagstaffbiking.org/2010/06/0...-canyon-study/
    done!
    it would suck to turn the Crazy 88 into the Crazy 87
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Over the Hill
    Done

banned

This doesn't sound right

I couldn't open the links to view the details but this sounds like a false alarm. I was just visiting with someone from the Park Service about the allignment of the AZ Trail, and they said nothing about access. We have been planning to do a reroute of the AZ Trail as it drops into the Canyon and then climbs back out a half mile further along the trail, to get rid of the nearly 30% steep sections that are unsustainable and quite difficult to ride, as well. We are planning to begin work the first week of July and expect to finish by the end of the month.

I sometimes joke with the Forest Service about how years ago the Friends of Walnut Canyon organization publically critisized the Forest Service for the way they managed the land next to the monument, and asked them to allow the Park Service to expand their boundaries to take over more land. The FS quickly met with the group and asked what they could do to please them. The group responded by asking for a new trail system on Campbell Mesa. We now have a fun bunch of trails to ride on that Mesa. The joke is, if you want the Forest Service to drop everything they are doing, and build you a new bunch of trails, all you have to do is insult them on the front page on the AZ Daily Sun newspaper.

So everything is supposedly all hugs and kisses between agencies. The Park already has some of the AZ Trail running through their property and they have offered to pay volunteers to help maintain it. This reroute we are planning, will take the trail a little further away from Park property, which they seem to prefer, but they don't seem to object to bikes riding on the AZ Trail as it runs from Cosnino towards Fisher Point.

Occidental Tourist
    Done and done.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

My other ride is your mom
    OK Prodigal....let everyone get complacent then.....and by the way....open the links before you pass judgement.

In short....they are expanding the comment deadline for this area....that's it. It's my opinion that it always behooves us to express our concerted desire to keep access as it is or even improve it.
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 06-09-2010 at 11:15 AM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    OK Prodigal....let everyone get complacent then.....and by the way....open the links before you pass judgement.

In short....they are expanding the comment deadline for this area....that's it. It's my opinion that it always behooves us to express our concerted desire to keep access as it is or even improve it.
    I used my wifes laptop to get a look at all the links. Ralph is someone who was part of Friends of Walnut Canyon. He and a number of other retirees who hike and ride horses on Campbell Mesa, are always looking into ways of excluding bikers from the area. They can be quite a nuisance. I catch them laying dead tree branches across the trails with the pointy end sticking just slightly onto the trail, sometimes hidden by tall grass, to force riders to stay dead center on the trail and not drift. In corners, if you lean your bike slightly, you can catch your foot or ankle on one of these branches and really get a painful injury. They seem to think they are doing a public service and keeping the trail as narrow as possible. Anyway, I do see the need to stay vigilant, and keep an eye on any proposals that suggest expanding the Park boundaries and allowing new designations that might affect bike access.

The FBO statement suggested these are some of the most popular trails in Flagstaff for riders. I wish that were true and would like to see a lot more riders using the AZ Trail, equestrian bypass. The Crazy 88 race accounts for maybe 90% of the people who will ride that section in a given year. Out of every 100 riders who come up from Phoenix and Tucson to ride during the summer, I would say that 99% do not ride trails south of I-40. The overwhelming majority start and finish their rides near Schultz Creek. If you were to sit at the bottom of Little Bear Trail on a busy weekend, you might count 500 riders a day coming down that trail, with 99% making a left-hand turn and heading back towards Schultz Tank, so they can bomb back down Schultz Creek. It's a great loop, to be sure. It would be great to see more riders exploring the option of circling Elden or heading through the tunnel under highway 89 and riding the equestrian bypass section of the AZ Trail, even if they skip the section that runs out to Cosnino and cut across Campbell Mesa to tie into the section that runs over to Fisher Point. One reason more riders don't explore these options is that they are unfamiliar with how to access these trails and have never been shown a map of these trails. Dale's map primarily shows all the trails on the north and west side of Elden. He has limited GPS information on the many trails along the southern side of Elden that connect from Elden Springs to Lower Oldham and Rocky Ridge. Those ore some of the finer trails available that allow circumnavigation of Elden entirely on single track. While it's true that much of the AZ Trail from highway 89 to Cosnino is rarely ridden and used mostly by grazing cattle and motorcycles, it can be a good option to riding the same trails near Schultc all weekend. For those that have ridden it, there is a half mile of trail that is soft, deep cinders, that rides as poorly as Sandy Seep, and I can see why they avoid it until monsoon rains firm it up. We are hoping to find a solution that will stabilize that section of trail and make the loop from the Tunnel under 89 to Fisher Point, back to Sam's Club and then through town to Buffalo Park, a more frequently chosen ride.

Maybe this thread will bring more awareness to the riding opportunities on the south side of town. Thank you for posting it. If I hear anything new about access or park expansion, I'll pass it along so we can all be part of keeping the trails open for mountain bikers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I used to work near cosnino and townsend/wynona road and lived down town. Yup my commute was the AZT. The thought of that trail being off limits is frightening. Having comments from the mtb community on any and all plans in the area is a good thing in my book.

Over the Hill
    Please someone post up a map of the trails on East Elden as I am always looking for new dirt when I am in Flag. Especially hoping for a singletrack route from the new IB Trail back to Schultz Tank. Heard some rumors about Challenge Trail.

Dean

Members who have read this thread: 0