Vistas (pict heavy - xpost passion)- Mtbr.com
    poser Administrator

Vistas (pict heavy - xpost passion)

Climbing out of the valley on a winding road. Cars whiz by, breathing is labored and the winds are horrendous

090110_Ride_648

The trail, once reached, is a joining point for other riders. The trail goes up, and up and up.

090110_Ride_654

In reflection we have come a long way and are only just at the beginning, calls beckon me to get it in gear...I only have one.

090110_Ride_pano

More up.

090110_Ride_662

At the top you can see Mexico, truly spectacular. Riders and trails await though.

090110_Ride_664

The Canadians enjoy the descents as well as the ascents.

090110_Ride_667

We hid in the trees for awhile

090110_Ride_670

The forest abandons, evicting us into the high desert. We descend again.

090110_Ride_674

Descending gives way to climbing. Steep and long, it gives my legs a chance to stretch out. I hike with my bike.

090110_Ride_682

To the west this time. Again descend we must.

090110_Ride_686

The trail is twisty, sweet and sublime. The softness of the grass belie the hardness of the supporting desert.

090110_Ride_pano2

Descending can be interrupted with small doses of climbing, breaking the sheer exhilaration of the descent with the sheer burn of the ascent. An even trade off.

090110_Ride_696

While the horseshoe might have indicated bad luck,

090110_Ride_706

we approached the last descent with good luck at our backs.

090110_Ride_715

30 miles, 5600' of climbing, rigid fork and one gear left my body tired but it was well worth the spectacular desert vistas and camaraderie of ascents made and descents accomplished.

090110_Ride_716
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    nice.
    b

mtbr member
    Location please. Sierra Vista? Mnt Lemmon? do tell. Thanks.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Rock - nice pics. Do give us a little more insight as to where!

Maui Grown
    Thought I saw some Bug Springs in there but I might be wrong.

Plus size jersey model
    Yeah there is some Bugs in there and Millie. I definitely recognize those since they are two of my favorites here in Tucson.

Just another half mile...
    Hey Heli, I'm surprised you didn't recognize the trail sections. Looks like they climbed the highway to Bug Springs and then down La Miligrosa.

Quote Originally Posted by helimech

mtbr member
    Ya it looks like bugs then millie, what thru me was "you can see mehico from the top" never noticed if you could.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member

I'm surprised...

Considering how badly you handed my ass to me on Millagrosa, you don't remember it. Must be how fast you were going...
    That is bugs and millie. The road ride to it would break me I think. That's somewhere near twelve miles of road climb to get to the trailhead. whew.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrobinson
    Considering how badly you handed my ass to me on Millagrosa, you don't remember it. Must be how fast you were going...
    That is bugs and millie. The road ride to it would break me I think. That's somewhere near twelve miles of road climb to get to the trailhead. whew.
    Um I'm bad with screen names, when did this take place?
    SHITBIRD

Maui Grown
    Um I'm bad with screen names, when did this take place?
    Yeah, Helimech hands people's asses to them all the time, so you're going to have to be specific.

poser Administrator
    Sorry I forgot to post location: this was indeed up Mt Lemmon road to Bugsprings, to Prison camp to Molino to Milagrosa.

30 miles total with about 5600' of ascending. Took us from 8:30am to 3pm with a flat (on the highway of all places) and a missing cleat bolt (causing a few crashes for the rider but fixed with a disc brake bolt).

We were constantly exclaiming on Bugs Spring "how have a never ridden this trail?". If you haven't done it, do it. It is a very nice trail and connected with the others is a serious day in the saddle.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

shred my gnar
    rc- did you utilize flickr to patch together those panoramics? tough to do? ive got a bunch of shots i want to do that with.

thanks

edit- btw, awesome pics!

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    rc- did you utilize flickr to patch together those panoramics? tough to do? ive got a bunch of shots i want to do that with.

thanks

edit- btw, awesome pics!
    http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

freeware. Need a faster computer if you want to do large ones. I like the effect on panoramas like this but I also like to assemble them by hand (photoshop). Depends on the situation and the effect I am searching for.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

shred my gnar
    is that freeware you linked easier to patch panos together than photoshop. i ask about ease b/c i am completely photoshop ignorant and have to be honest that it is unlikely that ill have the time to master it anytime soon... (unless i quit wating time on this site!).

poser Administrator
    is that freeware you linked easier to patch panos together than photoshop. i ask about ease b/c i am completely photoshop ignorant and have to be honest that it is unlikely that ill have the time to master it anytime soon... (unless i quit wating time on this site!).

very much so. You just select the pictures you want to tile and it will do so. Results can be awesome or odd depending on your skill at taking panoramas and how much information changes while you are taking them.

It works 80% of the time for the whole panorama but sometimes it will not join them together. Experiment with it and the options too. It is a fantastic program that is used by Microsoft as a sales tool in their "Mohave" commercials.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    very much so. You just select the pictures you want to tile and it will do so. Results can be awesome or odd depending on your skill at taking panoramas and how much information changes while you are taking them.

It works 80% of the time for the whole panorama but sometimes it will not join them together. Experiment with it and the options too. It is a fantastic program that is used by Microsoft as a sales tool in their "Mohave" commercials.
    dood!

i just wasted a half hour screwing around with that thing. i love it and wish i had worked harder at taking more quality shots. the one thing i want to figure out is how to keep it from compressing the pictures horizontally. i have no clue what psi, theta, beta, etc are other than greek letters so i dont know how successful i will be... but... thanks so much.

awesome program.

here are a couple from italy last year... these are much wider view than they look in these panos. that is what im talking about with the horizontal compression.

sorry for the threadjack... just excited about this program!

poser Administrator
    dood!

i just wasted a half hour screwing around with that thing. i love it and wish i had worked harder at taking more quality shots. the one thing i want to figure out is how to keep it from compressing the pictures horizontally. i have no clue what psi, theta, beta, etc are other than greek letters so i dont know how successful i will be... but... thanks so much.

awesome program.

here are a couple from italy last year... these are much wider view than they look in these panos. that is what im talking about with the horizontal compression.

sorry for the threadjack... just excited about this program!

cool:

here are a few of mine from italy too (BTW I only dicker with the size settings everything else requires too much time to figure out):

St peters Cupola Panorama

pano3
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

EDR
    NIce pics. Too bad your thread will be lucky to reach 20 posts while all the office dwelling trolls will easily hit 50 with their pointless dribble. I guess this forum has me feeling melancholy...

I now want to go ride tomorrow. Thanks man!!!

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    NIce pics. Too bad your thread will be lucky to reach 20 posts while all the office dwelling trolls will easily hit 50 with their pointless dribble. I guess this forum has me feeling melancholy...

I now want to go ride tomorrow. Thanks man!!!
    the only way to go is lead by example. Sad considering how nice the weather is and how choice the riding is right now that the majority of posts on here are gripe posts and not ride posts. Oh well, that is the inherent nature of internet forums too many talkers too few doers.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

shred my gnar
    where are those from in italy?

mine are the prags valley in the dolomites and piazza bra in verona w/ the roman arena. cant wait to have my bike (or snowboard) with me in the dolomites one of these days...

poser Administrator
    where are those from in italy?

mine are the prags valley in the dolomites and piazza bra in verona w/ the roman arena. cant wait to have my bike (or snowboard) with me in the dolomites one of these days...
    They are from the cupolas of St Peters in Rome and the Duomo in Florence. Being an architect and a chef my trip there mostly involved drinking wine, shopping farmer's markets, and visiting the architecture, and not particularly in that order. My wife and I bandied about the idea of going to Lake Garda and renting some bikes but as it was it was too much packed into 2 weeks as it was.

but yes Dolomites would be awesomeX10.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Members who have read this thread: 0