Visitor looking for advice (pulled out of sticky)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSPANK
    Thaks chaps!

I read through this thread when I got my trip to Phoenix confirmed. As a result I got in touch with Fish at Cactus bikes. When I arrived in Phx I got to his shop and he lent me a Giant Trance XO, some flat tyre stuff and a camelbak and kicked me out of the door. He recomended the dessert classic trail as I wanted something fast and flowy - plus it was only about half a mile from the shop so I just rode the bike up the road to the trailhead and span out past some of the Indian Petroglyphs for an out-n-back of 23 miles or so.

What can I say? It was exactly what I was looking for; fast, meandering singletrack through the cacti with nice berms, little hucks, fantastic weather, a nice breeze and friendly peeps on the trail.

I got a pinch flat from a bit of a hard landing but I had the schtuff to fix it so no probs.

All told it was just shy of 25 miles, 2k feet of climbing and about 2.5 hours ride time out 'n' back from the shop. Just the perfect ride before I met up with my mates for astag/bachellor party that weekend!

Thanks again for the info. I live in dirty Jersey now so if any of you head out that way and want to experience what it's like to ride under tree cover and in teperatures less than 100 degrees then let me know!! Cheers!
    Any advice for someone looking to do something similar? I'm going to be in Phoenix for work next Thursday and was considering staying until perhaps Friday evening and doing some riding earlier on Friday. I'll need to rent/borrow a bike. I'm willing to drive an hour so from Phoenix...any particularly good options? I'm looking for probably intermediate or so level terrain (don't mind technical riding but I'd rather not fall off a cliff...) and a ~25 mile ride.

mtbr member
    I would do exactly what he did. Cactus bikes is completely legit and south mountain is literally a mile away. If you're looking for an intermediate ride that's about 25 miles I think your best option would be to do what the other guy did and try and ride Desert Classic end to end and back I think thats approximately 18 miles round trip on the trail and about 1.5 miles each way to/from the trailhead for a total of about 21 miles. here's a map of the area: http://phoenix.gov/parks/hiksogud.html . Also cactus bikes is on 48th and elliott. Hope this helps

mtbr member

I second that!

I live right near there and used to ride Desert Classic about 4 times a week. Cactus is great shop with friendly people and Desert Classic is good ride, not too tough but not without its challenges either.

im4Gsus
    if he starts from the west end, he could add the east/west loops when he reaches the "end" of desert classic at the ramadas. that would add ~5 more miles.

my 2
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Members who have read this thread: 0