Visitor looking for advice (moved from STICKY)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSPANK
    Thaks chaps!

I read through this thread when I got my trip to Phoenix confirmed. As a result I got in touch with Fish at Cactus bikes. When I arrived in Phx I got to his shop and he lent me a Giant Trance XO, some flat tyre stuff and a camelbak and kicked me out of the door. He recomended the dessert classic trail as I wanted something fast and flowy - plus it was only about half a mile from the shop so I just rode the bike up the road to the trailhead and span out past some of the Indian Petroglyphs for an out-n-back of 23 miles or so.

What can I say? It was exactly what I was looking for; fast, meandering singletrack through the cacti with nice berms, little hucks, fantastic weather, a nice breeze and friendly peeps on the trail.

I got a pinch flat from a bit of a hard landing but I had the schtuff to fix it so no probs.

All told it was just shy of 25 miles, 2k feet of climbing and about 2.5 hours ride time out 'n' back from the shop. Just the perfect ride before I met up with my mates for astag/bachellor party that weekend!

Thanks again for the info. I live in dirty Jersey now so if any of you head out that way and want to experience what it's like to ride under tree cover and in teperatures less than 100 degrees then let me know!! Cheers!
    Thanks for this thread guys and this post in particular.

I will be visiting Phoenix next week and am debating riding in town or heading to Sedona.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for shops that rent quality bikes in either of these areas?

The Trance X0 would be sweet, I almost bought one before buying my Fuel EX.

Any other recommendations for trails? I don't want to get lost and I'm looking for XC/trail rides, no major drops.

I'll be bringing pedals, shoes, helmet, camelbak and tools, so I just need the bike.

Cheers

Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Air Sucker
    If you go to Sedona go to the Bike and Bean. You can park and ride right from the shop, They can set you up with whatever type of trail you want. Go through the Village of Oak Creek when you pass a Circle K look to your left about 1/4 mile down.
    Just a bald guy biking the blubber away

Scott
    Gilbert, AZ

mtbr member
    OK this got moved.

Sorry for posting in the sticky thread.

Thanks for the advice Swarga.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

Tucson, AZ
    +1 on the Bike & Bean. Jim, the shop owner, is one of the best blokes I have ever met, he sponsors our AZT MTBR Spring Fling every year.

mtbr member
    You certainly shouldn't miss out on Sedona if you've got the chance to go, and not just for the riding... the place is beautiful any way you look at it.
    Disclaimer: Bo does not actually know anything at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoKnows
    You certainly shouldn't miss out on Sedona if you've got the chance to go, and not just for the riding... the place is beautiful any way you look at it.
    Thanks for the reply.

That's the thing, we're staying at a hotel in Phoenix, plan to do a day trip to Sedona.

Thing is, if I ride a few hours in Sedona while the GF tours around, there's nowhere for me to get cleaned up to join her.

Might be easier to just ride in Phoenix.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny
    Thanks for the reply.

That's the thing, we're staying at a hotel in Phoenix, plan to do a day trip to Sedona.

Thing is, if I ride a few hours in Sedona while the GF tours around, there's nowhere for me to get cleaned up to join her.

Very true. I usually just bring another shirt to throw on after the ride and am done with it, but I have also been accused of neglecting personal hygiene at times, so yeah... Plus my ride back to Flag is only 30 min, as opposed to the hour and a half back to Phoenix.

You wont go wanting in Sedona without a bike, so don't worry - there's plenty to do and see.

I'd recommend Cactus Bikes to rent from in Phoenix, and riding Desert Classic for XC stuff. They've been great all the times I've been in there, and the Ahwatukee location is right by the trail. Of course I grew up literally across the street from Desert Classic and as a consequence have never ridden anything outside of South Mountain Park, so maybe take my suggestion with a grain of salt.
    Disclaimer: Bo does not actually know anything at all.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny
    Thanks for the reply.

you can wash off in Oak Creek, it runs right through town. chilly, but beats having crotch rot.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Members who have read this thread: 0