Visiting Scottsdale - 1/6 - 1/7 - Pending Rain - Cancel Trip?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Visiting Scottsdale - 1/6 - 1/7 - Pending Rain - Cancel Trip?

I was planning on being in Scottsdale staying at the Phoenecian. My wife has a work function and I was going to come along with my Hightower in my bike bag and ride for two days while she was tied up.

My plan was to ride at McDowell Regional on Sunday and Monday. It seems like there is some rain in the forecast. I have the following questions:

1) Is riding in the rain allowed?
    2) Is riding in the wet/rain worth it?
    3) Is McDowell worth riding over the other areas that are easily accessible from scottsdale (with no car and a hotel shuttle/uber)?

This trip is a pre-conference shake down. I'm planning on coming back with my wife in April for the conference and at that time, I will be spending 4+ days down there and will have my truck. At that point I plan on hitting some stuff in Tucson as well. My point is, I don't have a sense of urgency to hit the stuff in pheonix as I'll definitely be back.

Should I re-book this ticket or should I visit anyway and potentially deal with cold/rain?

I need some advice from locals.

Meatbomb
    1) yes. The trails at McDowell Regional park shed water fine.
    2) not this time of year- cold and wet.
    3)It's a long Uber ride to the park from the Phoenician.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I rode McDowell yesterday morning after getting significant rain overnight. While it was chilly (mid-high 40s), the trails were in great shape and fully rideable. The cold weather meant that the rain at McDowell was a light snow in the surrounding hills for truly beautiful scenery. Unless it is forecast to be pouring during your actual ride, I wouldn't let this stop you.

Not sure what you are looking for but I rode Sport Loop/Tech Loop/Long Loop and really enjoyed it for a fast and mildly challenging 15 mile ride. There is also a pump track and skills course in this same parking lot for additional fun and play. My only other experience at McDowell was Pemberton Loop which i found to be a bit dull.

mtbr member
    Phillbo pretty much nailed it so I won't add.... I have a question. Do you have any interest in riding Phoenix Mountain Preserve (PMP/Trail 100)

mtbr member
    to add Escondido may be pretty messy in spots when wet...

mtbr member
    PMP (Phx Mountain Preserve) is a lot closer than McDowells and drains well in the rain. Heck I have no issues riding PMP in the rain. I was out there yesterday after the rains on the 31st. Dirt was great and the rocks were still there. It looks to be raining Sunday and Sunny and 62 Monday. Monday will be hero dirt and Sunday probably won't rain all day. It rarely does. Usually for just a short time. I rode PMP on the 31st, the day it rained, I was just sure to get my ride in before the rains came. All was good.

PMP can be access at Tatum Just south of Double tree (Small parking lot) - 7 miles by road. Some bike ok, but kind of a waste of time to ride there and back

At 40th st South of Shea. 10 miles by car

Or eastern end of Northern Road off the 51 fwy. 10 miles by car.

McDowells Regional park however is 26 miles by car.

All one way distances.

You can also get to Papago park from where your are. 5 miles by bike mostly quiet road or canal path. However papago is not really spectacular riding. In fact McDowell regional is pretty smooth and your hightower is WAY too much bike for that. A good bike for PMP however. At little overkill in places, but not too much so. Then in places at PMP you will wish for more bike and/or more skills.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I really appreciate the input folks. A little background. I'm an aggressive, advanced rider here in socal and do mostly what the youngins would call "enduro" riding these days. There isn't all that much I can't ride locally here, that being said, I also race XC and am known to do 30 mile, 3-5k elevation days often.

So, it sound like PMP may be the better choice for my style or riding and bike of choice. It also sounds like it would be more convenient from the pheonecian, so that is great info.

I don't have too much of a problem riding in the rain as far as my perspective is. It'll obviously be wet (duh) and cold so that's a decision I need to make if I want to take that chance. I definitely don't want to do lasting damage to the trails, which is why I asked. In socal, riding in or just after the rains isn't allowed, for good reason and the places it's allowed, it's sorta bad form.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    .. In socal, riding in or just after the rains isn't allowed, for good reason and the places it's allowed, it's sorta bad form.
    No real way to tear this up any more. This is classic PMP

It will test your Hightower and your skills (Hairball section of 302)

This is 8a more of an XC trail.
    Again no way to damage in the rain in this area.

And when it does rain.. Heck things grow!

This trailforks video shows one trail, but is a solid mix of the type of terrain.
    Some rocky, some chunky, and some pretty smooth. The ratio depends on which trails you take and they can be flat or stupid steep and everything in between.
    https://www.trailforks.com/video/10931/
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Ahhh the pain....
    There's certainly stuff out here that people stay off of when wet, but as Joe pointed out, PMP is usually fine. Although you won't find any 500+ ft sustained downhills, you'll find some chunky stuff that will test you. Go to trailforks and search for "Phoenix Mountain Preserve". A few trails you'll want to try...
    Irregular Link
    VOAZ
    LV Yates (8) (S->N)
    Then at the west end of the preserve,
    Shaw Butte (306) : old access rd up, then singletrack down

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Or just go ride South Mountain. Itís not close, so youíll need to figure out transportation, but if you like big gnar and going fast, itís arguably the best riding in Arizona.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    With the Hightower and staying at the Phoenician, PMP is perfect. You could ride either out of Tatum trailhead or you could get to the trails up 36th Street north of Lincoln where the "AW House" is. If the sun is out, it can feel warmer than the temp suggests. Riding in the desert in the rain is kind of a gift, it's actually really pretty.

The ride to Tatum or 36th looks like it's just under 7 miles straight through Paradise Valley which is a nice place to be on a bike.