Visiting, LBS recommendations needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Visiting, LBS recommendations needed

I'll be visiting family in North Phoenix and looking to check out a few bike shops. I guess coming from the airport and anything along the way near the 51 or 101. I've been to the Slippery Pig which I like alot but curious about any of the others. Also, I'll be checking out a hockey game in November, do you think the Coyotes will stay in AZ???

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    I'll be visiting family in North Phoenix and looking to check out a few bike shops. I guess coming from the airport and anything along the way near the 51 or 101. I've been to the Slippery Pig which I like alot but curious about any of the others. Also, I'll be checking out a hockey game in November, do you think the Coyotes will stay in AZ???
    just want to visit the shops, or do you intend to rent, and if so what kind of riding do you want to do etc?

If you are on the 101 near the top of the valley, not sure. If you are taking 101 north through Scottsdale, Rage cycles at Scottsdale\Thomas roads is an easy jaunt from the airport and then back onto 101 N. Around 101\Frank Lloyd Wright there is Performance Bikes - kinda a chain, but they sometimes have good deals esp. on clothes.

others in central Phx can give you more info along the 51.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Also, I'll be checking out a hockey game in November, do you think the Coyotes will stay in AZ???
    Yep, but so long Wayne Gretzky. There is a good chance you'll have the stadium to yourself.

Regarding LBSes, I really can't comment. Are you just wanting to visit to visit, or are you looking for a specific bike or part? There is a new shop called Trailhead Cafe on Glendale and SR51. Unique in that it's also a coffee shop. Specialize in commutor-type bikes, with some off-brand mt and road bikes (Felt comes to mind). But other than that, just your normal, run of the mill bike shop.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Black and Sticky
    Cholla is right, what LBS you should visit depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

But here are directions to a N. Central Phx LBS that's just off SR 51 and right on your way from airport. While traveling north on SR 51, exit Glendale Ave. Go west about 5 blocks to intersection of 16th street and Glendale Ave. In southeast quadrant of that intersection is Trailhead Bike Shop and Cafe. It's right next door to Basha's grocery store.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

There's always an angle
    "North" Phoenix is a pretty big area. Here's a few more...

Going West?
    Exhale Bikes: I-17 & Bell
    Swiss Amercan Bikes :43rd Ave & Bell

Going North?
    Southwest Bicycles: Tatum & Cave Creek
    Flat Tire: Cave Creek Road (In Cave Creek)

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Yep, but so long Wayne Gretzky. There is a good chance you'll have the stadium to yourself.

Regarding LBSes, I really can't comment. Are you just wanting to visit to visit, or are you looking for a specific bike or part? There is a new shop called Trailhead Cafe on Glendale and SR51. Unique in that it's also a coffee shop. Specialize in commutor-type bikes, with some off-brand mt and road bikes (Felt comes to mind). But other than that, just your normal, run of the mill bike shop.
    Yep that's the one I was talking about, they also sell Pivot. They were a sponsor of the MS 150 and I try best as I can to give my business to those that support such things.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    well, i'll be staying near 101 and tatum and would like to rent and do anything close to that location. doesn't have to be extreme, just some trails to get my blood flowing.
    flat, cross country, some elevation but nothing killer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Kid
    "North" Phoenix is a pretty big area. Here's a few more...

Going West?
    Exhale Bikes: I-17 & Bell
    Swiss Amercan Bikes :43rd Ave & Bell

Going North?
    Southwest Bicycles: Tatum & Cave Creek
    Flat Tire: Cave Creek Road (In Cave Creek)
    flat tire is close to where i'll be staying. thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire

i'm visiting family for 5 days. i'm not looking for any specific parts or bikes. just like to browse and if i see anything, grab it.

gretzky will never be a good coach so it's a good deal for the coyotes. do you mean they'll stay in az for one more year or gone after this year?
    no problem with the empty arena. it's no better in islanders country and when i'm out there i like to support the team as a big hockey fan. when i'm out there i'm a coyotes fan.

Meatbomb
    DNA is real near 101 and Scottsdale.

http://dnacycles.com/

mtbr member
    well, i'll be staying near 101 and tatum and would like to rent and do anything close to that location. doesn't have to be extreme, just some trails to get my blood flowing.
    flat, cross country, some elevation but nothing killer.
    For a trail relatively close, may I recommend T100 at Phoenix Mountains Preserve. Take the 51 south from the 101 to Shea, go east on Shea to 40th st, go south on 40th street about a mile and it dead ends into a parking lot at the trail head. From there, you can explore lots of trails ranging from flat to leg busting climbs to rocky gnar. I promise it will get your blood flowing! T100 proper is fairly tame, but there are lots of connector trails, and that's where the fun begins.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

Dad trying to keep up!
    Aug 2009
    I live just north of Tatum/101. Head up to Flat Tire in Cave Creek and they'll set you up with a nice rental. Rent for the weekend and ride Sunday with Kaolin and crew up through Spur Cross, or he can get you lined up with some good trails in the area. Phoenix North Mountain is nice and not far south of your spot. You can also head east to Fountain Hills and ride the competitive loops at McDowell Mountain park. Also, you can hit the corner of Pima and Dynamite between your spot and Cave Creek. Dodge a few ATV's on the weekends, but there are a lot of trails to wander and see our desert views.

Appreciate the visitors supporting the local economy and bike shops. Visit two, they're small
    Jeff from Cave Creek

mtbr member
    Flat Tire has a sunday morning group ride starting around 7am. there is a bike festival in cave creek mid november and the sunday morning ride is the race loop for the festival. 20ish miles.

http://www.cavecreekbicyclefestival.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0