mtbr member

Utah's Whole Enchalada epic/National coast-coast comparison

thinking about doing the La Sal/Moab whole enchalada next weekend. How does it compare to coast-coast Nat., besides the obvious length and altitude differences? Is it way more difficult tech wise? Any sections like the water fall or similar?

26+ miles and dropping 7,000 vertical sounds pretty gnarly!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona
    thinking about doing the La Sal/Moab whole enchalada next weekend. How does it compare to coast-coast Nat., besides the obvious length and altitude differences? Is it way more difficult tech wise? Any sections like the water fall or similar?

26+ miles and dropping 7,000 vertical sounds pretty gnarly!
    Body Bag is more difficult than anything on National and the section after is super steep. You can of course walk it, but do give it a try! Other than that, the whole enchilada is just good good fun with a mix of techy, choppy, flowy, jeep road chatter, big drop-offs to the right, and huge spectacular scenery. Have a blast!!!

Tucson, AZ
    Best one-day ride I have ever done in my life was doing the whole enchilada from town, no shuttle. This is a must do for everyone!

mtbr member
    Hey ,Robert whats up? How did the moto seson go? That sounds like a sweet trip I would love to go and ride with you but Im heading up to Angel Fire for some Good Lifts! Let me know how it goes. and Moto season is on up here.

mtbr member

Whole enchilada is tasty!!

I treated my girlfriend to the Whole Enchilada on the way back from our Oregon vacation. It was the best part of the trip she said.

There is one section that we walked, but the rest is just plain fun!! Does not hurt that the scenery is spectacular, and the trail comes feet from the edge of a cliff in places.

Sharon loves rocky stuff where you just let the brakes go and bounce, and she had a blast. I could barely keep her in sight. My 45 pounds more weight makes the bike pick up speed, but I have to worry more than her about denting a rim, so some places I have to back down a bit to not break something, where she doesn't worry about it as much.

I would put this ride at, or near the top of any mountain biking "bucket list".

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Check with chile pepper, Burro pass might still be snowed in but last I heard koko was open up to Hazard. Funnest ride I have ever done. Body Bag skeers me oh and that nuts drop/spiral staircase type thing near the bottom. Riding from town How many miles was that?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Check with chile pepper, Burro pass might still be snowed in but last I heard koko was open up to Hazard. Funnest ride I have ever done. Body Bag skeers me oh and that nuts drop/spiral staircase type thing near the bottom. Riding from town How many miles was that?
    What was "body bag"?

I still want to do the ride from town. Make it a true epic.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    What was "body bag"?

I still want to do the ride from town. Make it a true epic.
    The hard right with the tree on your left that always seems to be icy or snowy when we go. Between LPS and the start of the climb.

Tucson, AZ
    Riding from town How many miles was that?
    ~70 miles, 14,000 feet of climbing. Here is the GPX file if you need it.

The route: Flat Pass-La Sal Pass Road-Trans La Sal Tr-Geyser Pass Road-Deep Creek Tr-Burro Pass (10,000 feet elevation)-Trans La Sal-Harzard-Kokopelli-Mail Delivery Guys-Porcupine Rim Trail-Back on Highway 191.

mtbr member
    The hard right with the tree on your left that always seems to be icy or snowy when we go. Between LPS and the start of the climb.
    Then what is the spiral staircase you were talking about? Wait, is that the one where you ride up on that rock slab, then drop back into the trail near the very end?

That alternate route was fun, except for plowing into the side of the rocks. Doing that in the snow/ice was sketch.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Then what is the spiral staircase you were talking about? Wait, is that the one where you ride up on that rock slab, then drop back into the trail near the very end?
    Yep,

mtbr member
    Yep,
    That part rules.

I want to conquer body bag some day. I got the lower section, you basically just surf, but that turn is a doozy....

mtbr member
    Yes, one of the best rides ever...... but no way will it be rideable now. I think the shuttles are going as high as Kokopelli (bottom of Hazard) right now.... which is still an outstanding ride.

The Notch or Upper Body Bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Utah's Whole Enchalada epic/National coast-coast comparison-ubbxcguymodified3.jpg  

Last edited by KRob; 05-26-2010 at 09:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    ~70 miles, 14,000 feet of climbing. Here is the GPX file if you need it.

The route: Flat Pass-La Sal Pass Road-Trans La Sal Tr-Geyser Pass Road-Deep Creek Tr-Burro Pass (10,000 feet elevation)-Trans La Sal-Harzard-Kokopelli-Mail Delivery Guys-Porcupine Rim Trail-Back on Highway 191.

That
    is
    Awesome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Yes, one of the best rides ever...... but no way will it be rideable now. I think the shuttles are going as high as Kokopelli (bottom of Hazard) right now.

The Notch or Upper Body Bag.
    Ok, yeah got it now.
    I always heard it called "The Notch".
    Or "what the f*** is this?"
    The last 2 times I've seen it, it was completely covered in ice/snow. No way in hell.

banned

That
    is
    Awesome
    That ride was a short ride for Chad. He is use to something like 100 miles. It's had to understand how some individuals have that kind endurance.
    Last edited by traildoc; 05-27-2010 at 07:49 PM.

parenting for gnarness
    Last time out I did town to I think UPS and back (top of a 15 mile climb, slight DH, flat sandy traverse out to the rim). Awesome amazing day. Cant believe there is more to tack on.

YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    hey gang, thanks for the info and funny vid Cholla
    This ride is a must-do on my bucket list after the ride reviews!

...Hey ,Robert whats up? How did the moto seson go? That sounds like a sweet trip I would love to go and ride with you but Im heading up to Angel Fire for some Good Lifts! Let me know how it goes. and Moto season is on up here....

Hey Brandon, have a blast at Angel Fire! My mx season went very well--really kicked it the last half of the season and won the very tough/tight points race at the final race! Sweet! 2009/2010 GP 125 Championship and another gold cup!

Glad you got to come down for the Speedworld race in Dec. That was fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Last time out I did town to I think UPS and back (top of a 15 mile climb, slight DH, flat sandy traverse out to the rim). Awesome amazing day. Cant believe there is more to tack on.

Cleaned this section first trip out there, second and third it was covered in snow, gave it a shot but never again cleaned it. Cant wait to get back to it.

bring lots of food....have a good trip. take lots of pic's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokenspokesSteve-o
    Cleaned this section first trip out there, second and third it was covered in snow, gave it a shot but never again cleaned it. Cant wait to get back to it.

bring lots of food....have a good trip. take lots of pic's.
    Don't forget whiskey too, very important.

mtbr member

Smile

ya, good whiskey, oil cans, pics/videos of ridiculous fun on upper Porky, road ride, Phils world, a day fly fiishing near telluride and kayak with my Durango friend, Havrda.
    Dang, I better take a few Rockstars for all this activity!

Members who have read this thread: 0