No Clue Crew

Utah/Zion: Guacamole Trail?

Anyone ridden it? I'll be in Zion for a few days and plan on getting up before the Mrs (like I always do) and getting a ride or two in. This place is closer than JEM, looks to be a good 6ish miles, and has a couple black diamond loops attached to it.

Was also looking at Grafton but according to Trailforks it's one way, downhill and I won't have a shuttle.

Thanks,

Mike

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Name:  68198527.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  111.6 KB

mtbr member
    Guacamole and Holy Guacamole can be ridden together totaling a little over 9 miles really fun stuff with excellent views.
    If I remember right there was a local shop there that ran shuttles up to Gooseberry mesa. You could ride gooseberry and then ride Grafton down. All worth doing IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Lower JEM parking lot is actually 'closer', as guacamole TH is a couple miles up a dirt road. Well worth the visit though.

You can just ride your bike up the dirt road to do a grafton loop, if you wish. Shuttle is recommended but not necessary. Perhaps a better ride would be to park & ride the stuff up top & not drop down to the cemetary. There are a couple routes on top of the mesa that you can loop around on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Anyone ridden it? I'll be in Zion for a few days and plan on getting up before the Mrs (like I always do) and getting a ride or two in. This place is closer than JEM, looks to be a good 6ish miles, and has a couple black diamond loops attached to it.
    We did Guacamole back in the Fall 2014. The road to the trail head was deep dust at that time of year. Trail was fun and well marked -- you even get to see a volcanic cinder cone along the way. Lots of petrified wood, too. Worth doing.

-db-

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by EZSHUM_331 View Post
    Guacamole and Holy Guacamole can be ridden together totaling a little over 9 miles really fun stuff with excellent views.
    If I remember right there was a local shop there that ran shuttles up to Gooseberry mesa. You could ride gooseberry and then ride Grafton down. All worth doing IMO.
    I'll save Gooseberry for a time with a guide and friends...

Quote Originally Posted by Utard View Post
    Lower JEM parking lot is actually 'closer', as guacamole TH is a couple miles up a dirt road. Well worth the visit though.
    That's true... Ridden JEM, albeit, not too far. Was with the Mrs and the "exposure" at the beginning scares the sh!t outta her. And, as far as I've been, haven't seen much on it worth writing home about so looking for something I haven't done before that might be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Utard View Post
    You can just ride your bike up the dirt road to do a grafton loop, if you wish. Shuttle is recommended but not necessary. Perhaps a better ride would be to park & ride the stuff up top & not drop down to the cemetary. There are a couple routes on top of the mesa that you can loop around on.
    I think I see what road. How long is that pig and how hard is the ride? Looks like it's only a couple hundred feet elevation and maybe 6 miles?

Am I right that I turn south on Bridge Road in Rockville to the TH? Then I'd pedal back up 250S to Smithsonian Butte Road which turns into Bench Road?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EZSHUM_331 View Post

Don't forget to add 'Salt on the Rim' on the return trip to the car. Guacamole is alot of fun and worth your time. Many people consider it "mini-Gooseberry" as it's similar type riding though not as challenging for sure. If you use the mapping on Trailforks, it will save you from getting lost out there which isn't difficult since there are no signs...just cairns and sticks on the ground. There are a *few* marks on some rocks as well as you get further out but not consistent at all on Gooseberry.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post

I think I see what road. How long is that pig and how hard is the ride? Looks like it's only a couple hundred feet elevation and maybe 6 miles?

Am I right that I turn south on Bridge Road in Rockville to the TH? Then I'd pedal back up 250S to Smithsonian Butte Road which turns into Bench Road?
    The ride up isn't too bad, but considering all the great trails in the area, I think your energy is better spent otherwise. Most of the elevation is on the steep hill at the beginning.

A good place to park is at the intersection with smithsonian butte road. There's a large pullout there that people sometimes camp at. Pedal up the road/hill from there. Recommend a gps as there is no signage as to where grafton trail starts at & there are a couple routes you can take.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Grafton is my favorite trail in the St. George/Hurricane area. Route finding can be a challenge. After the climb up the dirt road, it is not apparent which turn out on the right you should enter the singletrack at. Also, there is singletrack on both sides of Grafton jeep road. Over the Edge does a a group ride out there about once a month on Saturdays. Maybe you'll get lucky and can ride it with them: https://www.facebook.com/Over-The-Ed...-152712964314/.

No Clue Crew
    Guacamole was a pretty fun little trail. A little hard to find your way around, though. I managed to find Guac West and South but saw absolutely nothing for the "turn" for Salt on the Rim. Still a really good ride though.

I didn't think I'd like it because comparing it to Gooseberry, which I believe is similar to our very own Dells in Prescott, makes me tired just thinking about it. Non stop ups and downs and arounds. No flow, just constant work. But, I did discover that this type of riding actually works exceptionally well for my body. It's a lot of ups and downs and overs but absolutely NONE of it is constant. So, it's a lot of work but it's in very short bursts which I do really well at. Longer, continuous climbs I gas out on pretty easily but I feel like if I knew where the trail actually was I could have ridden it completely without stopping. Hell, I never went below third gear and that's coming from a new 1x11 conversion where I lost my bottom two gears. I've been walking a lot of local stuff because I don't have enough legs or gear to make it any more. Didn't have any problems with Guacamole. Except for that one little notch with the rocks stuffed in it to make it rideable

Now, on the other side is Zen trail on the west side of St George. Fun trail. I wish Trialforks hadn't told me to go clockwise, though. Would have been much funner CCW. And, I should add, would have been MUCH funner if the trail was marked even remotely well. I've never seen such a poorly marked trail. I honestly think I spent more time searching for the trail and backtracking to find it that I actually did riding Zen. Unfortunately, I was intent on watching the Trailforks app and forgot to start Strava so I'll never get to see the trail I blazed completely off any trail. At least a half mile's worth of bushwacking my way around. Felt good. Felt dirty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I thought Guacamole was much more challenging than JEM, so if your wife didn't like JEM I don't think she'll like Guacamole. Definitely need one of the online apps for Guacamole as the route finding is challenging and there's no signage.

Little Creek is a little easier and flowier than Gooseberry or Guacamole, you might want to consider that. There's also a number of nice new singletrack trails in the JEM area, flowy and relatively easy. Check those out.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    I thought Guacamole was much more challenging than JEM, so if your wife didn't like JEM I don't think she'll like Guacamole.
    I agree, Guacamole is harder and I told her she wouldn't have liked it.

Definitely need one of the online apps for Guacamole as the route finding is challenging and there's no signage.
    Guacamole was perfectly signed compared to Zen...

Little Creek is a little easier and flowier than Gooseberry or Guacamole, you might want to consider that. There's also a number of nice new singletrack trails in the JEM area, flowy and relatively easy. Check those out.
    Don't know about Little Creek or any new trails in the JEM area so no idea how to check those out. In any case, it'll have to wait until next year...