Control Freak

New question here. USERY Trail Sanitation

Has anyone been out to USERY trails recently? It has been about 6 months and when I got there I found out that the trails had been "sanitized" to make it a boring trails system. At least Cats Peak is still a little bit fun. Of sourse does this mean they are going to take the back hoe they have out there and sanitize parts of pass mountain? I hope not.

I dont understand why they needed to do this. It had a few fun parts and now those fun parts are gone. They could have left them in and then rerouted the trail like they did to give people the options.

ANyways, its where I started Mountain biking and I find it a shame to see it go down hill so fast.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatedg
    Has anyone been out to USERY trails recently? It has been about 6 months and when I got there I found out that the trails had been "sanitized" to make it a boring trails system. At least Cats Peak is still a little bit fun. Of sourse does this mean they are going to take the back hoe they have out there and sanitize parts of pass mountain? I hope not.

I dont understand why they needed to do this. It had a few fun parts and now those fun parts are gone. They could have left them in and then rerouted the trail like they did to give people the options.

ANyways, its where I started Mountain biking and I find it a shame to see it go down hill so fast.

Tim
    Over/under on the first TD accusation? Let's start it at 2.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Other than the wash to the west of the gravel parking lot, I didn't think the changes will be too drastic in the long run. I think a couple of hard rains will cut the little drops and put the trail back to where it was before (with that one exception).

I also hope they don't touch Cat Peak or Pass Mountain. I can ride out of my driveway and hit Usery in 10 minutes, so I hope it maintains a little of its variety.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Over/under on the first TD accusation? Let's start it at 2.
    In a way you just did by bringing it up.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64
    In a way you just did by bringing it up.
    Quit lying. I've never, EVER made any accusations regading TD doing any type of trail sanitation. Please show me where I have.

(I'm riding my bike today, and probably tomorrow.)

mtbr member
    Damn You Traildoc!!!!!!!!!!!
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Quit lying. I've never, EVER made any accusations regading TD doing any type of trail sanitation. Please show me where I have.

(I'm riding my bike today, and probably tomorrow.)
    Assertion was not how many times you have made an accusation. Heck you can't even remember all the mud you have slung around here. Simply by the wording of your post! You have brought up the sensitivity of TD sanitation programs.

No one cares if you ride your silly bike. But on Thursday you better not mess up my flow. So stay over by the love canal so we don't cross paths.
    Last edited by Cycle64; 04-27-2011 at 12:32 PM.

pedaller
    What? You guys are crossing swords over by the love canal??? And what's this about a messy flow???

Just another reason why South Mountain is THE best place to ride in the Valley!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    What? You guys are crossing swords over by the love canal??? And what's this about a messy flow???

Just another reason why South Mountain is THE best place to ride in the Valley!
    Um, Noel, the reason PMP has Out of this World Trails is because of the Love Canal, not despite it. Geeesh

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    You've been spending too much time on AZFR.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64
    You've been spending too much time on AZFR.
    Just over at the gulch.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Control Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC
    Other than the wash to the west of the gravel parking lot, I didn't think the changes will be too drastic in the long run. I think a couple of hard rains will cut the little drops and put the trail back to where it was before (with that one exception).

I also hope they don't touch Cat Peak or Pass Mountain. I can ride out of my driveway and hit Usery in 10 minutes, so I hope it maintains a little of its variety.

I liked that wash. It was the first place I ever went OTB.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Just over at the gulch.
    Well stop going over there and bring over my bash guard. Could swing by Erines around 8:00 if you're going to be there. As I'll be in the area.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by hatedg

Tim
    Yeah that new wash re-route is pretty lame. I have a feeling it was done because its on Blevins trail which is the super highway for the masses. There has been some work done on Pass Mt but it has been mostly the removal of loose rock from the trail and not so much the destruction of technical features. Although one technical feature (a modest step-up on the west side) was removed several months ago.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    Yeah that new wash re-route is pretty lame. I have a feeling it was done because its on Blevins trail which is the super highway for the masses. There has been some work done on Pass Mt but it has been mostly the removal of loose rock from the trail and not so much the destruction of technical features. Although one technical feature (a modest step-up on the west side) was removed several months ago.
    I rode by the first or second day they were working on that wash. The guy on the backhoe said they were trying to keep the trail safe because they had some injuries. Kind of sad, seeing as it only had a 12" drop with a 90 degree right hand turn. Certainly not as dangerous as the rattlesnakes or the old lady who dropped her reins as her horse was doing brodies in the trail (true story). My 12-year old daughter told the guy she thought it was the best part of the trail as she passed him and bombed down that trail one last time.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    Although one technical feature (a modest step-up on the west side) was removed several months ago.
    Noticed that too. Wish they would have kept the step. Wasn't a highly technical section but it definitely kept it more interesting.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Noticed that too. Wish they would have kept the step. Wasn't a highly technical section but it definitely kept it more interesting.
    Yeah Im not sure why they removed that step. It had such a good approach that it wasn't that hard for an intermediate to make and a good challenge for those wishing to improve. I think the step about a mile or so heading north from the Wind Cave TH is much more difficult. Very bad approach but I have made it once so I know its doable.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC
    I rode by the first or second day they were working on that wash. The guy on the backhoe said they were trying to keep the trail safe because they had some injuries. Kind of sad, seeing as it only had a 12" drop with a 90 degree right hand turn. Certainly not as dangerous as the rattlesnakes or the old lady who dropped her reins as her horse was doing brodies in the trail (true story). My 12-year old daughter told the guy she thought it was the best part of the trail as she passed him and bombed down that trail one last time.
    There was also that alt line you could take and just drop right down into the wash and bypass that 90 degree turn. The only reason I can somewhat see it is because Blevins is their main loop out there. Ive seen everything from little pre-schoolers to the elderly on that trail and I guess we all need to suffer for others inability to assess risk.

Members who have read this thread: 0