parenting for gnarness

Update on Organized Opposition to Scottsdale's proposed Desert Discovery Center

Reposted from the grassroots group leading the neighborhood opposition to the DDC. You can find them through the Coalition of Greater Scottsdale (COGS) or Friends of Scottsdale's Preserve:https://www.facebook.com/FrienddsOfScottsdalesPreserve/
    -------------
    We submitted the petition to the city council asking them to give citizens a vote on what goes into the Preserve and on any use of Preserve funds for anything other than land acquisition and building trails and trail heads. The Council decided to put this on a future agenda this which is the first step. The vote was 4 to 3 with Councilwoman Littlefield, Councilmen Phillips and Smith, and Mayor Lane voting for it. Councilwomen Korte, Klapp, and Milhaven voted against it so clearly they DO NOT WANT citizens to have a say in what goes into the Preserve we voted for and taxed ourselves to buy. Korte and Klapp are up for reelection this fall, so keep that in mind.

We are starting another petition, this one to get the city council to instruct the Desert Discovery Center Scottsdale (DDCS) organization to look at sites other than the Gateway for the DDC, and specifically sites OUTSIDE the Preserve.

The problem is DDCS has taken the position that the city council locked them down to the Gateway site, so they won’t look at ANY OTHER sites regardless of the problems with the Gateway site, regardless of public opposition to locating the DDC in the Preserve, regardless of the potential benefits of locating the DDC outside the Preserve. Therefore we have to get them off this position and the only way to do that is to get the city council to instruct them to listen to the public and look at alternate sites. This petition is designed to make that happen.

We know there are three council members who are hard over on putting the DDC in the Preserve at the Gateway, Linda Milhaven, Virginia Korte, and Suzanne Klapp. We know there are three council members who want the public to be involved and move it out of the Preserve, Guy Phillips, Kathy Littlefield, and David Smith. That leaves Mayor Lane as the swing vote and he is leaning toward listening to the public because he is up for reelection. So we have a good chance at making this happen if we can do it before the election.

If you agree and want to sign this petition, please email "howard.myers@cox.net" your name and address with a note that you want to sign the DDC Location Petition, and he can add your name to it. You should be a resident (full or part time) of Scottsdale with a Scottsdale address.

Alternately you can have people sign the actual petition and either e-mail or mail it to Howard. We would like to get this done in time for the May 17th City Council meeting so we have to put this together fast. I have attached the petition so you can see what it actually says and/or use it.

The more names we have the better chance we will have of getting the council to do this, so if you agree with it, sign it or send me your name and address and I will put you on it.

Thanks again for your help in protecting our Preserve from developments like the DDC.
    Last edited by chollaball; 05-09-2016 at 08:53 AM.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Chollaball...keep fire stoked! That's in my neck of the woods...and I'll admit I've been a bit passive on this issue, but not anymore. I sure in the h*ll don't want a Desert Disneyland to be built.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Excellent work cholla ... I'm not sure if my living in Pine would help since it is a Scottsdale issue but I sure appreciate your efforts on educating both the public and the council. I bike the McDowells often and see the writing on the wall if this project were to move forward as you explained.

Meatbomb
    Where are they wanting to build it?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Where are they wanting to build it?
    Are you serious asking that question or is your reading comprehension that poor? I'm not going to give you the answer, but try actually reading it dude. Wow!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Easy, singletrax73, lighten up a bit. I am relatively new to the area and don't know where this is either. Just help out a fellow biker and provide a little more info instead of being a smart ass. Thanks.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrax73 View Post
    Are you serious asking that question or is your reading comprehension that poor? I'm not going to give you the answer, but try actually reading it dude. Wow!
    The preserve is rather large dude. The Gateway is rather vague. Are they wanting to build it on the site of the existing trail head?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle Elle View Post
    Easy, singletrax73, lighten up a bit. I am relatively new to the area and don't know where this is either. Just help out a fellow biker and provide a little more info instead of being a smart ass. Thanks.
    Yeah. You're new. This AZ forum wouldn't exist without smart assery. You'll figure it out.

Meatbomb
    2 post and already come off as a douche.... yeah scottsdale politics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, I typically stay off of it because of snot asses like you. I just thought that maybe ONCE you guys could be decent and help out someone who is interested and asked for info.

parenting for gnarness
    I was hoping you guys would keep it up and keep this post near the top! Not as good as Ray and Mrs. Whlr, but a fine undercard!

There is supposed to be a new group called 'Protect Our Preserve' organizing out of these various threads and grassroots efforts, to be dedicated to this issue. Info to follow.

I recently heard from Scottsdale mayoral candidate Bob Littlefield that the DDCS is not due to report back to the City Council on the results of their online survey (no longer available after May 12) or the feedback from their marketing meetings until AFTER the city council election. This is very creative political cover, that allows Councilwomen Korte, Klapp and Mayor Lane to go into this election without modifying their positions as per the citizens, because the people behind DDCS have directed all the citizen feedback into a dead-end. The vote to go forward with the DDC is due in mid-2017. Voting in 2016 will decide this issue.

The only way to get feedback to your Council, and have it become part of the public record, is to email the following:

jlane@scottsdaleaz.gov, vkorte@scottsdaleaz.gov, sklapp@scottsdaleaz.gov, klittlefield@scottsdaleaz.gov,
    gphillips@scottsdaleaz.gov, lmilhaven@scottsdaleaz.gov, dsmith@scottsdaleaz.gov, citycouncil@scottsdaleaz.gov, GMeyer@scottsdaleaz.gov
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    2 post and already come off as a douche.... yeah scottsdale politics.
    Typical from you. Temper tantrum and name calling. Haha! Too bad your voice recognition wasn't on so we could catch the angry stutter.

Hopefully this keeps it towards the top.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I thought you all could use a nice little video of cute puppy dogs doing funny stuff. How about a group hug?

My other ride is your mom
    ^TPDW....Too Positive, Didn't Watch