mtbr member

Update: MMP pump track construction

Here is the latest on the pump track construction. The water line is in and we will start moving dirt this Friday 5/28. We are looking for volunteers to help with the construction Saturday, Sunday and Monday this weekend. We will start at 6 am on Saturday, bring shovels, rakes and tampers. The goal is to get a usable section completed before the June 5th charity night ride and TT at the comp loops.fficeffice" />>>
    >>
    Feel free to PM me with any questions.

mtbr member
    got any pictures?
    TurnDriverSide.com - Motorsports Photography

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnDriverSide
    got any pictures?
    Of what, the water line?......I'm sure will get some cool pic's once this is built.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Cool.I should be able to make Monday. Bringing my little shredder to test it when its finished. What time are you starting on Monday?

dirt visionary
    Hey Alan what kind of dirt do you have to work with? Is this to be dug from the ground it will be on?

Also will volunteers need to bring the normal $6 dollar fee to enter to work?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    I'm in cali til Tues. I hope be there for the next one.

mtbr member
    Rode the long loop today. There's 3 or 4 big piles of dirt and some paint laid dow on the ground marking the track. Not much reason for a picture right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    I'm in cali til Tues. I hope be there for the next one.
    Get some for me T!

mtbr member
    Bob: Don't have any times set, I will be out at the park Friday morning to see if the water line is complete yet. When I was out on Wednesday, the had all of the piping in and had connected to the main but no hose bib. I will post an update tomorrow.

Clock: The park imported some dirt to use, they do not want any of the track dug down so we will use a lot of dirt on the berms building all above ground. We plan of hauling some clay from one of the pits in the park to top the track once it is roughed in.

TDS: Here is a picture.

Meatbomb
    wow.... you guys are serious.

that's a big layout!!! I likey...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Looks good size, yeah, bigger than I expected.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting up the pics! Looking good! The wife, kid and I will try to be there on Monday to help.
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

mtbr member
    The park staff is completing and pressure testing the water line today (Friday 5/28). I will be out there at 6 - 7 am Saturday 5/29 to start moving dirt. If you are coming out to help please bring shovels, rakes and tampers. I will post up again tomorrow with Sundays start time and if we will be working Monday.

The goal is to have at least part of the pump track complete for the 2 Wheels for Hope event June 5.

mtbr member
    So... What is the status? How's the McPump Track coming along? Do you need some help finishing the track Monday, or should I plan on getting some early morning miles in on SoMo??

Porkchop Sandwiches!

spidey...I'm heading out tomarrow am with the boy and noodlemaster around 8 or so to check on the progress. might knock out some pumping laps and a quick sport loop. LMK if you're gonna roll...

Alan bet you're beat from all the digging but post up some pics!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIDERS
    So... What is the status? How's the McPump Track coming along? Do you need some help finishing the track Monday, or should I plan on getting some early morning miles in on SoMo??
    I will be out there Monday am from about 6 am to 8:30 am. Not much progress yet, definitly nothing ready to ride. I will be back out there one afternoon during the week and next Saturday.

mtbr member

Sea Otter Pump Track

Check out the pump track that was at Sea Otter this year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-xVnddnX10

Porkchop Sandwiches!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    spidey...I'm heading out tomarrow am with the boy and noodlemaster around 8 or so to check on the progress. might knock out some pumping laps and a quick sport loop. LMK if you're gonna roll...
    Sorry, my boss called first thing this AM and wanted to meet. Apparently he had no clue that today was a holiday.
    Made the wife happy though cause it threw off any plans of riding/shoveling dirt this morning.

Porkchop Sandwiches!

Had a great morning out there. Finished up some work that Alan and his crew started. Great layout!!! Worked with Dave and Noodlemaster (Phil) and my little ripper was checking the lines. We tamped it all out and got it ready to rip a few. I wouldn't say everyone head out and ride it, lots of tweaking and those big piles of dirt ain't gonna sculpt themselves, so head out with your work gloves and give Alan a hand! This track is gonna be sick once it's dialed.

Alan, tools are where you wanted them and rolled the hose up behind the track. Had to knock the tabletop down a bit as it was a little too steep and rough to ride over. I did put a few test laps in and it's fun! Just gotta tweek the rollers and maybe connect the two south side berms to make one sweet one

Lots of xcr's were rolling by asking what we were doing and very curious to see this thing take shape. Not one offered a hand though...oh well, I had fun and got a good tan because of it.
    Here's a couple pics:
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

mtbr member
    Lookin good !

mtbr member
    Awesome Bob!
    I'll assume future work day/s will be sharred here. Can't wait to see it first hand.

mtbr member
    I plan on being out there Thursday around 4 pm and Saturday around 6 am. The small loop should be disable for the Saturday night ride. If you come out bring rakes, shovels and we especially need hand tampers. If someone has a plate tamper that would be great.

mtbr member

work update

Change in plans for the pump track work. I now have a paying job on Thursday afternoon so I will be working on the pump track Friday around 4 pm and Saturday morning.

me and the boy might make it out for some friday fun...looking forward to getting that baby dialed!!!

dirt visionary
    You still going out today Alan? I am plannning to come out to lend a hand if my day plays out well. Will bring rakes ,shovles and a 10x10 tamper.

aka Swamp ThAAng
    I can head out at any time today, if anyone else wants to brave the heat. Besides, I just finished building my new DJ/Pt bike. Shovels & rakes yes, tamper no. I do have big feet though.
    Bulls**t is the glue that binds our nation - George Carlin

shocker has big shoes too!!!

planning on rolling out there after 5 or so with little man. got me a shovel, tamper and a mini ripper

mtbr member
    I plan on being out there by 4 pm today. Any help/advice/feedback from experienced pump track riders and/or builders would be greatly appreciated as I have no experience building one and very limited experience riding one. I will also be out again Saturday morning around 6 am. We should have a small section ridable for the 2 Wheels event Saturday night so bring your park bikes.

dirt visionary
    Alan we will try our best to be out there around 4 and help get this thing going.

We may even head out earlier if possible.

aka Swamp ThAAng
    LCB (CAB) is meeting me at my house at 2:30, to roll out and get a Sport Loop in before track work.

mtbr member
    Wow, what an increadible work day. I can't begin to express my appreciation to everyone who showed up to help out today. The small section of track that we have been working on went from ridable to fast and fun in one afternoon. I would post up some photos but I am too tired and need to get back out there at 6 am tomorrow to finish up.

dirt visionary
    Alan if we are still in town tomorrow we will be back out to lend a hand again.

Great times today !

mtbr member

Tools and work dates

Someone from the Friday work crew left a shovel and rake at the pump track. I will keep them at my house, let me know who's they are and I will get them to you.

Tentatively I will out at the pump track working this Thursday evening and one day next weekend.

aka Swamp ThAAng
    I grabbed all of my tools. Alan, nice work out there. Allthough it was rather short lived, CAB and I were glad to help. Ha Ha Ha - yesterday he had 25 yards of dirt delivered to his back yard, rented a mini track hoe, and started his track!! Way to go Chris!

we are turning AZ into pumptrack nation!!!

"Lurkers R us"
    Alan It was nice to meet you Saturday at the pump track. It's coming along quite well.............A little small for some of the guys riding 29er's though. It was great to see so many mountain bikers expressing an interest in riding a pump track.
    I hope I can make it out more often to help with the future development.
    Thanks,
    Dan

dirt visionary
    We will try to make it out thursday on our way home from work on the westside if there is time.

Working on that track got me all interested in mine again

Hahaha...that's funny, now we'll need to have two different pumptracks...one for 26r's and one for 29r's. guess the 29r boys and girls will have to break out there shovels and pitch in if they want something suited for them. if not...we only test it with 26r's. Glad you liked it and I can't wait to get out there and do some more tamp tamp tamping

A plethora of pinatas
    The pump track is looking awesome! I rode it on Sat night on my 29er and it was a blast!
    Marty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancobsen
    Alan It was nice to meet you Saturday at the pump track. It's coming along quite well.............A little small for some of the guys riding 29er's though. It was great to see so many mountain bikers expressing an interest in riding a pump track.
    I hope I can make it out more often to help with the future development.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    You'd be amazed at the freakish bikes that have been pumped at the fishbowl. A 29r is no exepction. It's the rider!

"Lurkers R us"
    You'd be amazed at the freakish bikes that have been pumped at the fishbowl. A 29r is no exepction. It's the rider!
    You're right, some of the guys did good on the 29ers.

mtbr member
    I played around for a couple of laps on Saturday on Alans bike... super fun!! I am now in the process of building a bike for it - rigid or front suspension??

dirt visionary
    Nice! Glad to see lots intrest already but of course its one of those things build it and they shall come.

Anways what we all left on friday night wasn't perfect or ideal but works and flows . As with all things there are refinements and improvements along the way .I can't wait to see how it all shapes up over time and hope to help as much as I can .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    I played around for a couple of laps on Saturday on Alans bike... super fun!! I am now in the process of building a bike for it - rigid or front suspension??
    I have very little experience riding pump tracks and dirt jumping. With the small amount that I have done and watched, a dirt jumper or park bike works best. Rigid would be good for the pump track but a stiff fork like the Marzocchi Dirt Jumper would be benificial for landings on the dirt jumps.

sixsixtysix

Tall bike comes to mind. Or the micro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Tall bike comes to mind. Or the micro.
    Any bike can be pumped. From DH bikes, to 16" bikes.
    To the push bike pulling supermans.

Except anything Sixty has. Because he fails.

Just was out there tonight with the wife...she's hooked on pumping now I love the tight little figure 8 option that was freshly added! Needs some tweeking but it'll be good fun

mtbr member
    Sweeeet!!! After we played on it last weekend at the event, there are a bunch of us shopping for bikes (all geeky spandex wearing cross country racers!!!) and we were talking about it a lot on our road bike ride last night!

Alans pump track is awesome and is going to introduce people to different kinds of riding - Nice job alan!!!

mtbr member
    ...she's hooked on pumping now
    *Grabs popcorn* ... go on...

mtbr member
    I love the tight little figure 8 option that was freshly added! Needs some tweeking but it'll be good fun
    Yah, the radius on the 2 new berms is way too tight, plan on working those tomorrow afternoon. Coming out of the west berm I would like to create a S similar to the Sea Otter pump track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Sweeeet!!! After we played on it last weekend at the event, there are a bunch of us shopping for bikes (all geeky spandex wearing cross country racers!!!) and we were talking about it a lot on our road bike ride last night!

Alans pump track is awesome and is going to introduce people to different kinds of riding - Nice job alan!!!
    That is the beauty of a pump track, they have a way of bringing all types of cyclists together and back to the basics of riding a bicycle - too have fun. Where else could you find XC'rs, SS'rs, 29'rs, FR'rs, DH'rs and spandex wearing roadies gathered together to work, ride and have fun?

While we are on the subject of the pump track at MMP, it needs a name. Alan's pump track simply doesn't cut it. For starters, it is not mine, it is on public (county) land, I was not the one responsible for getting this started and there have been many that have volunteered their time and efforts towards this project. So let's hear some ideas:

• MMPump
    • McPump
    • ???

A plethora of pinatas
    I vote for McPump!

Or you get a little corny and go with something like "McPump It Up"!
    Marty

dirt visionary
    "Mcdowell pump track" simple while letting it be know where it is at the same time.

CAB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    "Mcdowell pump track" simple while letting it be know where it is at the same time.
    I second that..

Then at the the track you should keep it simple with a sign simmalar to this one

CAB
    mtbr member
    opps i forgot the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

dirt visionary
    nice sign

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

It is true what they say, size does matter

dirt visionary
    I have been working on mine all night dialing it in some more . I think I am getting the hang of this pump track building thing as todays work just flowed. Can wait to get back out tomorrow night to help out again.

A plethora of pinatas
    We were out there this AM to having a little fun the pump track again. The new inner loop is fun, but tough to ride on a 29er!

Here is a little video of Ty riding the "beginner" loop on his 29er. Sorry about the orientation of the video. It is my 1st video on my new droid phone.

Marty

mtbr member
    Anybody out there who is 6'3" riding a BMX bike on a pump track. I found a bike that's a 24" cruiser for around $250. I was also looking at an SE OM Flyer (26") bike for $430 on ebay (new in box).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAB
    opps i forgot the pic.
    I like the concept of the sign. It is apparent that some people can't read.

Obviously it is up the the county parks.

mtbr member
    How much does a sign cost? We could use http://www.gofundme.com/ to raise the money to get a kick ass sign made.

Last time we talked at MMP you mentioned if the pump track gets a good response we might be able to do a skills area too. What's the limiting factor to building a skills area? Money? Approval?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey
    How much does a sign cost? We could use http://www.gofundme.com/ to raise the money to get a kick ass sign made.

Last time we talked at MMP you mentioned if the pump track gets a good response we might be able to do a skills area too. What's the limiting factor to building a skills area? Money? Approval?
    The first limiting factor to the sign, skills area and any other improvements is getting the pump track built. We need to complete one task before moving on. There is a LOT of work to be done at the pump track. They are still delivering more dirt to the site.

As far as the $$ for a sign or other features at the pump track, that will be realitively easy to come by once the track is complete and people are using it on a regular basis. I already have businesses interested in donating money towards improvements if they can have their business name listed at the site. Perhaps even a map of fountain hills with the donating business location marked on it.

Anyone know a landscape architect that may be willing to donate some time to create a conceptual drawing of the finished pump track and aminities? That would be very benificial when it comes time to solicit local business for donations.

******ed or Branded??
    Anyone throwing dirt today? Off early and I am down to dig!!!
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    I was checking out Ray's MTB Indoor Park online yesterday... I like how they went and got sponsors for each of the areas. That might not be a bad idea for something like this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    Anyone throwing dirt today? Off early and I am down to dig!!!
    Not today, I was out there yesterday. Probably get some more work in out there Tuesday next week. Feel free to stop by and throw dirt, the berm on the second section (small oval) need a lot of work and we are starting an "S" line off of the N/W berm of the small oval. The hoses are there and water is on. All you need is shovels, rakes etc. I am working on getting a lock box out there to keep some tools in. Anyone seen a smokin deal on a metal job box that will hold rakes and shovels?

dirt visionary
    Hey Alan I think one of the lost shovels might be mine. I am missing a old weather aged spade with cushion top. I will get pics of my oval tonight to show you for ideas.

"Lurkers R us"
    Anybody out there who is 6'3" riding a BMX bike on a pump track. I found a bike that's a 24" cruiser for around $250. I was also looking at an SE OM Flyer (26") bike for $430 on ebay (new in box).
    I'm 6'2", I bought a 24" and had it about a month before I realized it was a little too small. On a 26" frame you'll want a minimum 23" top tube. Look at a black market Mob to get an idea of the right geometry. It's a little more money up front, saves in the long run.
    2 cents.
    Dan

mtbr member
    Do you still have your 24"? If so could I barrow it to give it a try?

mtbr member
    Azonic Stealhead XL has a long top tube and you can go 24 or 26" with it. I am 6'0 and mine was comfortable. Tmarkos is selling his Azonic DS, I think frame only. Hit him up
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

"Lurkers R us"
    Do you still have your 24"? If so could I barrow it to give it a try?
    I sold it.

mtbr member
    Alan... Post when you will be out there next working. I would like to come out and lend a hand... preferably early in the morning.

mtbr member
    Is there any set times when you guys work on the track? I would like to help out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dh'n az
    Is there any set times when you guys work on the track? I would like to help out
    I think that's something we need to work out. I was thinking maybe we should do like Saturday mornings early before the HEAT. Bring your bikes and (tools if you have them), do some work... do some riding on the track. I was thinking about picking up a tamper and a shovel this week.

mtbr member
    I think that's something we need to work out. I was thinking maybe we should do like Saturday mornings early before the HEAT. Bring your bikes and (tools if you have them), do some work... do some riding on the track. I was thinking about picking up a tamper and a shovel this week.
    Definitely, Saturday sounds good. I would guess people would want to start around five.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dh'n az
    Definitely, Saturday sounds good. I would guess people would want to start around five.
    I just looking at Home Depot's website and a tamper is $30. I was hoping to find something cheaper then that. Anyone have some tools we could barrow to work on the Pump Track?

******ed or Branded??
    I just looking at Home Depot's website and a tamper is $30. I was hoping to find something cheaper then that. Anyone have some tools we could barrow to work on the Pump Track?

craiglist has lots of tools perfect for pump track/ trail building!!!

I can make it out there this thursday if anyone is down!!!
    Last edited by doodooboi; 06-16-2010 at 12:43 PM.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    I am out for any work on the pump track this week. Busy work week and will be leaving Friday morning to head up to the Barn Burner. I will post up some work times soon for next week and and tentatively planning a big work day for July 3rd and 4th.

Anyone that wants to stop by and work the hoses are there. The two new berms need work and we have just started the S line.

mtbr member
    Has anyone ridden the Rage Cycles Pump Track? Can you just show up anytime and ride it or do they only allow it at specific hours?

mtbr member
    Has anyone ridden the Rage Cycles Pump Track? Can you just show up anytime and ride it or do they only allow it at specific hours?
    I haven't ridden it, but they have a moday night pump track session from 6 to 9. I'm not sure if you can ride it anytime.

maybe call the shop? I'm sure they'll let you ride if you buy something!!!

mtbr member

Work schedule

With every change comes a new opportunity. My original plans for this weekend were to ride in the Brn Burner. With the unfortunate concellation of that event for this weekend comes the opportunity to work on the pump track.

Friday, start time 6 am until ??. Some fresh dirt has been delivered and we have use of the County tractor.

Saturday, 6 am until ??

Who is in to throw some dirt around?

mtbr member
    Well... I bought a $400 wheelset a few weeks back there. I will call and get the 411.

me and the boy and swamp thAAAng might be out in the morning for a little build help/shred... ironic that the barn burner is shut down due to fire?

mtbr member
    I'll be there too..

Members who have read this thread: 0