mtbr member

Up the Shaw Butte laps

Surprisingly very few souls are venturing up the Shaw Buttes. I’ve been doing this for about 2 months now in light of the whisky 50 since it is only 5 minutes away from my house. 20 - 25 minutes up and 5min down with about 1200’ climb per lap. I’ve been doing 4 laps so far and I’d like to increase to 6 by the week end. Rest next week before the race. So who wants some? 6pm at 7th street parking for 2 hours of serious climb. Awesome view after 7:30.
    Last edited by ssphoenix; 04-18-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Got a suspension fork
    wow, 5 minutes down is smoking!

fwiw, I show it's 793 feet of climb up Shaw Butte. man, 6 times up that is really impressive. Well done man.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Hi Randy,
    Looks mean but really it is not that bad. I don't have an altitude GPS but Shaw is 2100' and I think phoenix is at about 1000' - and some places 1200'. Just a guess. Very true, the DH portion is scary. But people (hiker) are friendly and they get out of the way. I haven't got to 6 yet. I am hoping by the week end to increase my climb to at least 7000'. I want to be like mtbkracr

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphoenix
    Hi Randy,
    Looks mean but really it is not that bad. I don't have an altitude GPS but Shaw is 2100' and I think phoenix is at about 1000' - and some places 1200'. Just a guess. Very true, the DH portion is scary. But people (hiker) are friendly and they get out of the way. I haven't got to 6 yet. I am hoping by the week end to increase my climb to at least 7000'. I want to be like mtbkracr
    Don't we all!

I've done Shaw several times, my corrected GPS data says it's 730' of climb (I mis-spoke from memory before.)

mtbr member
    Randy,
    You are right. Found this site which show more accurate info of the area. http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/26661.

mtbr member
    Look ss,

If you want to be like me you need to eat nails and fill your water bottles with gasoline.

Oh yeah, and find the smallest race you can and show up in a skinsuit.

Seriously though, shaw butte is a great place to do intervals and the steep climbs will get you ready. We used to train there back in the 90s. Man, comming down that thing with the old cantilever brakes was hairy!

I've been doing tower repeats at somo the last few tuesdays but I wouldn't mind mixing in a little shaw butte action after whiskey.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Super unleaded or regular? I thought I need electrolyte not iron in my diet but I am on it.
    Why did you stop training there? Really in the past 2 months or so I probably bumped into 4 riders.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I plan on hike a biking up shaw butte with my DH this summer to ride down the chunky other side : )

mtbr member
    We stopped riding there when we started doing our interval training on road bikes, less wear and tear on our bodies and bikes. I wouldn't mind switching up my normal Tuesday routine this week but my mountain bike needs a major tune up which I won't be able to get to until this Friday. I'd be down to hit it the Tuesday after whiskey though.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Give it a crank
    SB is a good climb and way fun down, but it's got too many hikers all the time. I much prefer climbing in the McDowells since it's less urban, has far more nature and way fewer hikers. I typically do SB when the monsoons make the McD's too hot & humid to handle.

Ahhh the pain....
    If you guys want a steeper and still ridable challenge, Bell Pass from the intersection from Windgate on the east side to the Pass is 1.35 miles, 645ft....about 9% average grade. Shaw Butte probably has higher variation in grade, but averages about 6%.
    Way fewer hikers as pointed out...and you get that great decent out of Bell Pass to the west!

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum
    If you guys want a steeper and still ridable challenge, Bell Pass from the intersection from Windgate on the east side to the Pass is 1.35 miles, 645ft....about 9% average grade. Shaw Butte probably has higher variation in grade, but averages about 6%.
    Way fewer hikers as pointed out...and you get that great decent out of Bell Pass to the west!
    Plus you get the added bonus and pleasure of getting to climb Windgate to get to Bell!

Ha, I'll be there Thursday morning at first light. Nothing makes my day like being humbled trying to climb Windgate on the SS.

mtbr member
    I was doing climbs repeats Sun am at Shaw Butte. Just repeats/no laps for me on the old cantilever brake bike that day. Lot of hikers, but plenty of passing room. I just put on the earbuds and pretend they are hike-a-bikers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzguitarplayer
    I plan on hike a biking up shaw butte with my DH this summer to ride down the chunky other side : )
    Hike a bike? You can't ride your DH bike uphill?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am planning on hitting up SB for the first time on Thursday evening 5:30-6ish. I am also trying to get some last minute fitness in for the Whiskey.

I am ashamed to say this will be the first ride on the SS, or any MTB, since the 24hitop.

mtbr member
    I am up for as many runs up as anyone wants. I say we ride down the back side though. Several times down the front would make me want to cut my wrists.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr
    We stopped riding there when we started doing our interval training on road bikes, less wear and tear on our bodies and bikes. I wouldn't mind switching up my normal Tuesday routine this week but my mountain bike needs a major tune up which I won't be able to get to until this Friday. I'd be down to hit it the Tuesday after whiskey though.
    Hey Josh I'm curious, how do you do your interval training? I've heard many times that it is a good thing to throw into the mix. Do you do intervals up a hill climb? All out for a certain amount of time, slow speed, repeat, ????

mtbr member
    Interval training is normally done in a building process. For example, I will go from doing base miles in the fall (low intensity but very long rides) to long intervals twice a week that are higher intensity than base miles (medium intensity or tempo pace) usually 20 minutes long with a 10 minute recovery in between. Over a 3 week period building from 3 intervals to 5. On the 4th week I'll take it easy as a recovery week. these intervals can be done on the flats or on a slight grade. On week 5 the intervals start again but this time the intensity increases but the interval is shorter so you could start by doing 4 10 minute intervals with a 6 minute recovery and work up to 6 or 7 over the 3 week period with a rest week on the fourth week again. The cycle repeats over each 4 week period with 5 minute intervals with a 5 minute recovery at almost max to 1 minute intervals with a 5-6 minute recovery at full intensity sprint.

That's a basic interval training program to peak for a specific race or group of races within a short period of time. I like to do the more intense intervals on hills. I also like to tailor the training a bit if it's for a specific mtb race so I will train a bit differently for a race with short punchy hills as opposed to a race like the Whiskey.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Interval training is normally done in a building process. For example, I will go from doing base miles in the fall (low intensity but very long rides) to long intervals twice a week that are higher intensity than base miles (medium intensity or tempo pace) usually 20 minutes long with a 10 minute recovery in between. Over a 3 week period building from 3 intervals to 5. On the 4th week I'll take it easy as a recovery week. these intervals can be done on the flats or on a slight grade. On week 5 the intervals start again but this time the intensity increases but the interval is shorter so you could start by doing 4 10 minute intervals with a 6 minute recovery and work up to 6 or 7 over the 3 week period with a rest week on the fourth week again. The cycle repeats over each 4 week period with 5 minute intervals with a 5 minute recovery at almost max to 1 minute intervals with a 5-6 minute recovery at full intensity sprint.

That's a basic interval training program to peak for a specific race or group of races within a short period of time. I like to do the more intense intervals on hills. I also like to tailor the training a bit if it's for a specific mtb race so I will train a bit differently for a race with short punchy hills as opposed to a race like the Whiskey.
    J, would you be so kind to share some of the body fuel methods you use for races? I know everyone is different and one should find their own. None the less a starting point would be helpful. I am more particular interested what pros are using and how prior to the race. Getting your body ready the morning of the race is something I am still battling with. I often find myself doing better at long races then short once. For me the first 30 minutes is either the brake or make point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphoenix
    J, would you be so kind to share some of the body fuel methods you use for races? I know everyone is different and one should find their own. None the less a starting point would be helpful. I am more particular interested what pros are using and how prior to the race. Getting your body ready the morning of the race is something I am still battling with. I often find myself doing better at long races then short once. For me the first 30 minutes is either the brake or make point.
    EPO and blow!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    EPO and blow!
    We were going up the 4 peaks and I think everyone was huffing and puffing trying your suggestion (some more than others i suppose) and Josh was casual holding conversations. I think he might be using his gills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hike a bike? You can't ride your DH bike uphill?
    Some inclines yes, but shaw butte is too steep for my likings. I'd rather just take a stroll up the road before or during sunrise. (i live like 2 mins away)

mtbr member
    EPO and blow!

Wrong Skinny Tire. It's a dozen hard boiled eggs still boiling, eaten whole, bobbing for apples style.

I normally do a decent sized meal 3 hours before I race. For that last 10 years it has been whole wheat cinnamon raisin pancakes with a bit of oatmeal and wheat germ thrown in for good measure although I have been switching it up with a bowl of oatmeal over the last year. About an hour or so before hand I drink Metabolol 2 by champion nutrition then during the race mainly Gu but no caffeine. I do Heed in my bottles too. That's what works for me for normal XC races to marathon races. If it's a crit, TT, or some other race less than an hour I like to keep the calories down and will eat very light.

Anyone wanna hit Shaw Butte Wednesday morning?

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Anyone wanna hit Shaw Butte Wednesday morning?
    Geez, thanks for the advance notice. I would have said yes to this too.

(Actually, no I wouldn't, but now I have an excuse.)

mtbr member
    Not this morning but next Wednesday, maybe 6:30?

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    A couple of us are hitting the butte tomorrow early am if anyone wants to join in the fun.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Hi J, still planing on 6:30? Where are you meeting? Look forward and congrats on Whisky. Did you take 2nd?

mtbr member
    I'll probably take the canal down to 7th street and then head north and catch trail 100 at cave creek and get there about 6:15-6:30

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Fragile - must be Italian
    I'll probably take the canal down to 7th street and then head north and catch trail 100 at cave creek and get there about 6:15-6:30
    I might be there on my silver Kona Hei Hei. I usually leave my house around 6AM and get to Shaw Butte around 6:30'ish.

What will you be riding?

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    I'm meeting my buddy at 7th street and the canal at 10 till 6 and catch T-100 at cave creek and head to the butte from there, we should be there by 6:15ish. I'll be on a black S Works and wearing red and black.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Fragile - must be Italian
    I'm meeting my buddy at 7th street and the canal at 10 till 6 and catch T-100 at cave creek and head to the butte from there, we should be there by 6:15ish. I'll be on a black S Works and wearing red and black.
    That's a little earlier than I will be there. I start riding at 6 and usually make it to the Shaw Butte trailhead around 6:30. I'll see if I can get my butt out of the house a little earlier to meet you at 6:15. I'll look out for you.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Thanks J for stopping by this morning. The Butts are fun. Well waiving by at least cuz that is as much as I can keep up with you. Sorry to break out early. I have to be at work no later then 8:30 most weekdays. 2 laps is good for me during the week. Thanks to you I broke my record though. 2 laps in 40 minutes, but about to cough up a lung.

mtbr member
    You let WORK interfere with your training?!? Well there's your first problem!!! :-)

That was a good ride this morning!

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So I tried this climb for the first time today and was promptly destroyed by it. Took me 27 mins, made the mistake of going to hard at the beginning and the legs blew up fairly quick. Then started having traction problems, was probably running too high PSI (around 40psi) in the rear tire. Between those 2 things I had to stop a few times and because of that it took me a lousy 27 mins. Anyone have any advice for this beast? What PSI are you running in the rear?

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Fureak View Post
    So I tried this climb for the first time today and was promptly destroyed by it. Took me 27 mins, made the mistake of going to hard at the beginning and the legs blew up fairly quick.
    You're still a rock star in my book. My MOVING time the only time I've tried it was something like 26 or 28 minutes. TOTAL time was something like 54 minutes. Yeah, I stopped A LOT. Pitiful... but then I just pretend to be a mountain biker on weekends...

Team God!
    I like to run Wind cave at Usery one or two times week.

22 up 11-14 down.

3.1 miles

I thought I was the only nut who ran down hill.

Have a good one.
    "Wisdom is the Chief element of happiness, and then there is ice cream!"

Members who have read this thread: 0