The unusual Perils of mountain biking...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The unusual Perils of mountain biking...

Peril #1

So I found this small bump on the base of my neck shortly after a long 30 mile night ride in the Sonoran Preseve. At first I thought it was just a pimple but it soon grew in size with enlarged lymph nodes and streaking up my neck. As it got bigger, something became apparent. Two fang bite marks. I must have ran in to a spider web or hit a branch with a spider on it. My house is regularly sprayed and bug free. What spider ?- Orb Weaver, black widow... no idea.

The unusual Perils of mountain biking...-spider-bite.jpg

Peril #2

About 3 weeks ago my hand hit one of those cacti bushes - you the one with long branches that grow pretty high. I hit it going like 20mph and it hurt like mother. I pulled out the thorns and thought nothing of it. Well about 1-2 weeks later I noticed two of my finger joints were swollen and painful - especially at night. So I did some research...
    Plant Thorn Synovitis (Plant Thorn Arthritis) Symptoms, Treatment, Causes, Diagnosis and Prognosis by MedicineNet.com

Plant thorn synovitis - that's when a deeply embedded piece of thorn breaks and gets in to the joint capsule causing inflammation in the joint. It has to be removed surgically by a hand surgeon or it can cause chronic arthritis. F#$K ! Seriously?!

Anyway, I figure I share this to see if anyone experienced this annoying crap. Is this common or am I just unlucky.
    Last edited by metalaficionado; 03-26-2013 at 01:26 PM.

mtbr member
    the trail loves u ... nice hickie

Ahhh the pain....
    I've had a piece of an agave thorn go into my first joint on my forefinger while I was doing some (stupid) landscaping. It swelled and got REALLY sore. Went to a hand surgeon over here in Scottsdale and he said he could open it up and clean it out but often there's really no great improvement. So I did nothing and over time, I got my range of motion back in that joint, but occasionally, I'll still get pain. (it's been about 5 years). It is swollen compared to the other hand.
    Now that spider bite thing is freaky...yikes. If you start becoming really sensitive to light and get nervous around wood spikes, you might start to worry....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I've had a piece of an agave thorn go into my first joint on my forefinger while I was doing some (stupid) landscaping. It swelled and got REALLY sore. Went to a hand surgeon over here in Scottsdale and he said he could open it up and clean it out but often there's really no great improvement. So I did nothing and over time, I got my range of motion back in that joint, but occasionally, I'll still get pain. (it's been about 5 years). It is swollen compared to the other hand.
    Now that spider bite thing is freaky...yikes. If you start becoming really sensitive to light and get nervous around wood spikes, you might start to worry....
    Supposedly one of they symptoms of a black widow bite is nausea and dizziness. OF course that's what I experience on most of my climbs anyway..

Sucks about your finger. I near miss hundreds of these tall growing cacti on every ride - seriously thinking about some garden gloves for riding.

mtbr member
    I was night riding in the White Tanks last July and clipped a Cholla with my left pinky finger. The swelling has finally gone way down (not completely though), and I still have pain in the middle joint. I also went to a hand doctor, he did an x-ray and determined cutting into the joint was probably not worth the risk. He said the pain would likely fade over time, or not...oh well...Night riding presents a whole other set of risks, but it is way fun.

mtbr member
    Anyone used these before, would that stop the thorns or spines?

Fox Bomber Glove > Apparel > Gloves > Men's Gloves | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Checked out that glove and the knuckle part would stop a thorn, but the rubberized stuff will still let bigger ones through. Will they be slowed enough not to go too deep? Maybe.

I have knuckle busted quite a few cactus (the worst a saguaro when on the moto) over the years and what everyone else has experienced is pretty much right. I also have had pieces of thorn work their way out after a year or so causing a pimple then when I popped it a 1/4 inch peice of thorn came swimming out. That bite-yuck! I hate bugs!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    The Fox Bomber gloves are my go to moto glove, but I don't use them much on the bike. You could still easily get a thorn in the knuckle under the carbon. Great gloves though!

An Ace comb and tweezerman's are in both my packs...

I also just recently pulled out a few month old agave tip from my bicep after it finally turned to a big zit like growth...it's the simple pleasures in life.

mtbr member
    Perhaps a set of Mechanix gloves would work. Semi-breathable and designed to save knuckles against sheetmetal screws.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Elitest thrill junkie
    Dude, that's cool, like a vampire!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

parenting for gnarness
    Cactus - not so unusual, but I'll give it to ya on the spider. My worst was a few weeks ago there was some sort of giant boyscout convention and I had to ride the Westworld trail listening to hundreds of overweight slightly-homophobic goofballs singing 'You Are My Sunshine.' They had bleachers and a video screen and everything. I havent slept right in weeks.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Elitest thrill junkie
    And I did have a spider bite me on my hip while I was sleeping one time, it was weird and for a while I wasn't sure why I had similar markings and feeling, then it occurred to me.

I've also had prickly pear glochids get stuck in my hand far enough there was no way to get them out. It just took time for them to "dissolve" out or get "rejected" by my body.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Got to love night riding.

On a lot of the trails here (Australia) in Summer you need to do a run just to clear the spiders otherwise you need to stop every few minutes to clear the webs and spider from yourself. Must be hilarious watching a grown man dancing around a squealing like a girl when I hit a big spider like these. You know you hit one because feel you the thunk, then you get a cold shiver down your spine....

Name:  goldenorbweavingspider0.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  20.1 KB
    Last edited by brad72; 03-26-2013 at 11:41 PM.

mtbr member

The unusual Perils of mountain biking...

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Cactus - not so unusual, but I'll give it to ya on the spider. My worst was a few weeks ago there was some sort of giant boyscout convention and I had to ride the Westworld trail listening to hundreds of overweight slightly-homophobic goofballs singing 'You Are My Sunshine.' They had bleachers and a video screen and everything. I havent slept right in weeks.
    As often as we disagree- that was effin funny.

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Had a bird smack me in the chest last night. I was going pretty fast and it must have been blinded by my lights. Glad it didn't hit me in the mouth. That wouldn't have tasted good.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Had a thorn hit me just right at Milagrosa. Knuckle turned blue and started to sting really badly and go numb. Pressed on it as hard as I could forcing the blood out and I think the poison out...didn't bother me the rest of the ride.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72 View Post
    On a lot of the trails here (Australia) in Summer you need to do a run just to clear the spiders otherwise you need to stop every few minutes to clear the webs and spider from yourself. Must be hilarious watching a grown man dancing around a squealing like a girl when I hit a big spider like these. You know you hit one because feel you the thunk, then you get a cold shiver down your spine....
    Knowing that Australia is home to the top 10 most venomous creatures on a the planet I've got to admit I'm not sure I'd ride a trail like that. Feeling that shiver down your spine just may be the last thing you feel.

pedaller
    Wait until you smack a cactus with your foot at high speed! Half the fun is trying to take your shoe off while it is stapled to your foot! Good times!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It could be that there's still a tiny piece of that thorn in your finger. I had the same thing happen with a cat claw bush about a year ago. My finger was painful and swollen in one particular spot for over a month after i thought i removed the thorn. After some warm water soaking and a few days worth of intermittent digging with a needle I found the tiny piece and got it out, it hasn't bothered me since.

mtbr member
    BTW, that ****er bit me on the chin too, I will spare you that photo.
    Probably hit the chin first and dropped on the neck.

Going out there tonight again, if I get bit again I am quitting night riding there.
    Cant show up to work looking like a leprosy victim.

Give it a crank
    Ever hear about ballooning spiders? They cast a piece of web into updrafts and fly hundreds of miles. They're after tasty treats like mountain bikers day and night!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Punched a piece of cacti today, and got a pack of needles in probably the worst place. Last joint of my braking finger on the right hand. I think I got them all out, but I guess I'll find out soon.

I think the same thing happened when I was much younger and was machete-ing through some cactus. I remember my pinky nuckle got all huge for a bit.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Punched a piece of cacti today, and got a pack of needles in probably the worst place. Last joint of my braking finger on the right hand. I think I got them all out, but I guess I'll find out soon.
    Not where I was thinking...but still pretty bad!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Not where I was thinking...but still pretty bad!
    Touche. At the time this was arguably the worst place. I managed to run out of water going from Power Rd to NRA before I even got there, so I was feeling the heat by this point coming back and was concerned with staying in control more than anything.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    at least a cactus will not give chase after you.
    just thankful there are no cactus/spider hybrids.
    australia has those huge and super-fast huntsman spiders.
    Big Spider Attacks Daddy - YouTube

Rep Power Infinity +2
    That vid was so funny and so true

We had a huntsman nicknamed Fred at my parents house that would have been about 6" round. When you walked past him he rotated around, so you know he was watching you very carefully. Freaked me out when you turned on a light in a dark room and there he was but he was part of the family.

We get smaller ones at home about 2-3" across. Once I belted one with a shoe to kill it becasue he was too fast to catch then about 150 baby spiders ran off in all direction because they are carried on the adults abdomen. That was quite a freaky scene having a spider multiply like in a horror movie. The kids squealed and that scared the crap out of me.

Other than that Australia is perfectly safe. The Redbacks stick to the plant pots, the trapdoors to the back yard, haven't seen a funnelweb in 20 years and the snakes are more scared of us that we are of them, although seeing a 6 foot brown snake crossing the road gives me goosbumbs even when in safety of the car.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    "I told you not to play with spiders!"