(Unsolicited) product review - Five Ten Freerider VXi shoe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

(Unsolicited) product review - Five Ten Freerider VXi shoe

Hey guys. I know there are quite a few of you out there who like me like to ride on platform pedals. This isn't intended to generate a debate (maybe we can make a thread for Strava users who use platforms vs clipless ) , just some info that you might find helpful. I know that the shoe of choice for most of us was the five ten impact. The biggest drawback to this shoe IMO was that it felt like you were wearing moon boots. They are bulky as hell. Well, my pair finally started to die (after about two years and 3500 biking miles). I looked for an alternative, and I ended up going with the Five Ten Freerider VXi. You can look it up yourself for specs and pics, but I will say that it is worth a look if you are looking for a great grippy platform pedal shoe.

Bottom line is that it is way less bulky (close to 3/4 inch narrower in the widest spot of the sole), lighter and is better ventilated. Stiffness is about the same (that's what she said).

Now, back to blue poo bags/hikers/snakes/Strava debates.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You forgot unleashed dogs and what tire discussions!

Good to hear on the shoes. I have the Impact high tops and the rotation weight feels ridiculous. As soon as they die off I was planning to get the fr shoes. I was curios about the stiffness so that's some good info.

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    I have a pair of freeriders sitting in my closet collecting dust after two rides with them. Found that they just weren't soft enough to maintain contact with the pedals when riding through rock gardens. My old Impacts and Vans are superior IMO.

YMMV

EDIT: mine are the non-XVi version, so not really apples to apples. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by ChunkyMonkey; 03-12-2014 at 03:32 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Interesting. I think they did a redesign though so maybe you were on the first model? The new ones look counter-intuitive as there is a whole section of the sole that has no tread pattern whatsoever. For me, they were no worse than my impacts. But yeah YMMV.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
    I have a pair of freeriders sitting in my closet collecting dust after two rides with them. Found that they just weren't soft enough to maintain contact with the pedals when riding through rock gardens. My old Impacts and Vans are superior IMO.

YMMV
    What size?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Hey guys. I know there are quite a few of you out there who like me like to ride on platform pedals. This isn't intended to generate a debate (maybe we can make a thread for Strava users who use platforms vs clipless ) , just some info that you might find helpful. I know that the shoe of choice for most of us was the five ten impact. The biggest drawback to this shoe IMO was that it felt like you were wearing moon boots. They are bulky as hell. Well, my pair finally started to die (after about two years and 3500 biking miles). I looked for an alternative, and I ended up going with the Five Ten Freerider VXi. You can look it up yourself for specs and pics, but I will say that it is worth a look if you are looking for a great grippy platform pedal shoe.

Bottom line is that it is way less bulky (close to 3/4 inch narrower in the widest spot of the sole), lighter and is better ventilated. Stiffness is about the same (that's what she said).

Now, back to blue poo bags/hikers/snakes/Strava debates.
    Platforms are not practical for 29ers or Fatbikes, unfortunately.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    What size?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Platforms are not practical for 29ers or Fatbikes, unfortunately.
    Damn, that must be why I suck on my 29er. (Nah, I would suck no matter what).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
    PM sent. If you don't want em I'll help ya get rid of em.

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    Just remembered mine are not the XVi version, but the normal Freeriders. I've updated my original post.

Sorry for the confusion.

Pivotal figure
    I've been running the XVI's for about 1 year now and totally agree. They've completely replaced my Impacts and Carvers as my shoe of choice. I still have the regular Freeriders for pumptrack/jumping (the MacAskill's are a great crossover shoe btw) but the XVI's are all I wear for trail riding. I need to order another pair since these are showing their age now (I'm guessing a bit over 2k miles on this pair including at least 5 wet/muddy rides).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the regular Freeriders that I use for trail riding, and I like them. They are much stickier and more durable than the Fox shoes with Van's like soles I had before. kenbentit, why is the full dot pattern better for pumptrack/jumping? I do have trouble squirming my feet back into position with the Freeriders when trail riding. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey phatmike, how is the sizing? I wear 12 in nike's. Think 12 in the Five Tens would be comparable? There are no dealers near me to try bfor I buy. Thanks for the help if you can.

mtbr member
    I wear a twelve in Nike and Five Ten. The Five Tens are a little more snug lengthwise, but I like that in my riding shoes. The Five Tens are wider than most Nikes.
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

Pivotal figure
    Sorry for the delay, haven't checked this thread in a while. I like the regular FR's for jumping/pumptrack not so much for the tread pattern as much as the thinner sole. I like to be able to feel the pedals when jumping so they work better for me. Not that I can't wear the XVI's for jumping, I just prefer the lighter soles.
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    I have the regular Freeriders that I use for trail riding, and I like them. They are much stickier and more durable than the Fox shoes with Van's like soles I had before. kenbentit, why is the full dot pattern better for pumptrack/jumping? I do have trouble squirming my feet back into position with the Freeriders when trail riding. Thanks.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tnert000 View Post
    Hey phatmike, how is the sizing? I wear 12 in nike's. Think 12 in the Five Tens would be comparable? There are no dealers near me to try bfor I buy. Thanks for the help if you can.
    tnert,

I wear size 22 in both Nike and FiveTens.

Kidding. I do however wear 10.5 in both. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've been rocking the 5/10 Maltese Falcon. I bought them to replace my Hellcats. The Falcon is much lighter, the laces tighten better and the strap is more comfortable. Plus they are an SPD shoe, so I can still ride clipless on my 29er, fat bike, and other non-26" bikes.