Tyres for South Mountain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Tyres for South Mountain?

Having ripped a sidewall on a Nevegal yet again on the Flight last Friday, I've realised I need to run something tougher on the back of my 5-spot. Looking for something about the same volume as the 2.35 Nevegals and that can be run Stans-style; I guess it might have to be dual-ply. Any recommendations?

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by boredwitless
    Having ripped a sidewall on a Nevegal yet again on the Flight last Friday, I've realised I need to run something tougher on the back of my 5-spot. Looking for something about the same volume as the 2.35 Nevegals and that can be run Stans-style; I guess it might have to be dual-ply. Any recommendations?

I had the same problem. I now run 2 ply DH tires. Maxxis DH tires are great and Cactus Bike stocks them. I run a HighRoller Supertacky, but you could easily get away with a 60a tire. The Supertacky is more like the StickE kenda compound. The 60A is a bit harder, but rolls better more like the DTC compound. I run mine with Stans and they seat up Tubeless like nobodies business. I have never flatted, or cut a sidewall since. Sure they are heavier, but once you get used to the weight (about 4-6 rides) you will be able to ride about the same speed.

One other note, I think the Maxxis tires roll better than the Kenda's, so some of the weight is offset.

I also have a Minion DHF 2.5 (like a 2.35 Kenda) that make a good rear tire. It is 60a, but if interested, let me know, you can have it to give it a try before you buy.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Okay, does seem the Maxxis DH tyres make sense if the convenience compensates for the extra weight. Thanks for the offer of trying your DHF, but I'll probably just head over to Cactus Bikes or something like that.

Out of interest, what do the other regulars in your weekend ride groups run?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Tubless nokian nbx 2.3 are thick and last for a while. I got an old one you could look to inspect and try before you buy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Stay away from kenda, that is my advice. The tires are just constructed like crap compared to others, the knobs rip off, and so on. I've also ripped tires at SoMo (fixed with plastic reinforcement from soda cup or wrapper), and those high-volume thin-sidewall tires are just a joke due to how easily you can kill them on the rocks. If it's a big tire that weighs the same as a small tire, that's when warning flags should go off.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I've been pretty dang happy with Kendas for the last couple of years. I run with Stan's.

I run a Blue Groove 2.5 on the front and a Cortez 2.4 on the rear.

I've never shed a knob off of the Blue Groove or the Cortez.

The Cortez is a harder, longer-lasting compound, but, of course, it doesn't hook up as well.

The Nevegal is a nice, soft compound with great traction, but very low life expectancy. I had
    a 2.5 on the rear for about a month. It hooked up to the trail like velcro! I didn't even have
    to pick lines very well. But then it had a catastrophic sidewall blow-out - at about the
    same time the knobs were showing significant wear. Fortunately, I was only about a mile
    from my car. Tracey (the wife) runs a Nevegal 2.1 on the rear. She's never had the above
    mentioned catastrophic failure.

Now, we did some sweet AZ riding in mid Oct. Before the trip, I put on a brand new Cortez.
    When I got home, I noticed that the side knobs took a beating. I think it was probably
    Sedona. It would be difficult to find a tire that can take miles and miles of the off-camber
    rock crawling and NOT end up damaged. But, once again, no knobs were shed.

You know how we ride and what we ride. I like my Kendas.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member

Minion

I'm back to using a Maxxis Minion on the rear of my Spot. I blew out a nevegal in Sedona last year, and the local shop turned me on to the Minion DHR. It was a great tire for out here. I recently picked up a new one from Cactus, and have been running it with Stans. I tried a couple of other tires when the first Minion wore out, and none held up as well. It worked great in Moab also.

Later.

Powder King lift jockey.
    I use a Nokian Gazzolodi 2.3'' on my Six rather than the standard Norco's Kenda Nevegal's. I think most of the team riders are switching to Nokia as well which surely leaves one wondering why.

I used to praise the Kenda's but I've found trouble with them on rocky and loose dusty terrain. I've torn a few apart.

The Gazzolodi works very well for rocky terrain, I've found them to be durable and stiff as well.

Be warned though they dont work too well on thick sand, thats my only complaint with them. They're great through loose dirt though, as long as its packed good or not too deep.
    If you dont do too much sand riding, they'lle be great.

brapbrap mentioned the NBX's, I have no personal experiance with those, but cooming from Nokian I'de suggest taking a look at those.

Lots of people seem to like Maxxis, I rode XC for Maxxis for one year in 2001 and did'nt find a single tire I liked. Obviously they've probably done some revamping to their treads but I still hear of lots of people having trouble with quality while lots of people say their Minions are the best tires they've ever used.

I'me gonna throw this out too, Intense makes great tires. I dont have much experiance with their other tires and their 2.35'' Intruder FRO tire seems more like the average 2.5'' with the aggressive sidelugs.

A good friend of mine runs those on his Balfa BB7, I've used it lots and really like those tires, I'de buy a set myself but they run for over $100can each. He's a repeat buyer of those particular tires and will probably never buy another type of tread. I've heard the 909's are a damn fine tire as well, thy're more expensive than the Intruders though.

http://www.intensetires.com/intruder_fro.htm

http://www.gazzatyres.com/show.php?o...res&instance=5

http://www.gazzatyres.com/show.php?o...res&instance=9
    J-bro

ride.
    Specialized Enduro tires

might not be the best tread or the hippest company but if you rip a knob off, they replace the tire for free

in theory, you could buy one tire and have it last you a really long time... in theory of course

chris-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtybiker
    Specialized Enduro tires

might not be the best tread or the hippest company but if you rip a knob off, they replace the tire for free

in theory, you could buy one tire and have it last you a really long time... in theory of course

chris-
    SWEET!

All it takes is a pair of plyers and some determination!
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member

high rollers

i have a buddy who swears by the maxxis high rollers....he could stick to anything, loose or solid. it was ridiculous to watch as i slipped and flopped as well as destroyed several tire types. they came on his prophet which now rolls on a hutchinson new python...no comparison. he'll probably switch back despite the weight.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I had the same problem. I now run 2 ply DH tires. Maxxis DH tires are great and Cactus Bike stocks them. I run a HighRoller Supertacky, but you could easily get away with a 60a tire. The Supertacky is more like the StickE kenda compound. The 60A is a bit harder, but rolls better more like the DTC compound. I run mine with Stans and they seat up Tubeless like nobodies business. I have never flatted, or cut a sidewall since. Sure they are heavier, but once you get used to the weight (about 4-6 rides) you will be able to ride about the same speed.

One other note, I think the Maxxis tires roll better than the Kenda's, so some of the weight is offset.

I also have a Minion DHF 2.5 (like a 2.35 Kenda) that make a good rear tire. It is 60a, but if interested, let me know, you can have it to give it a try before you buy.

I just picked up some Minion DHF 2.35 at Cactus a couple of weeks ago. Love em so far. Much better than the Kenda's I kept destroying.

Maui Grown

Mobsters

I ran Maxxis Mobsters 2.35 on my Nomad. Works really well on the desert terrain and they're dual-ply, so you can run lower pressure without pinch-flatting.
    When each day of your life begins with the thought of where you will ride today, tomorrow, this weekend, next month, when your mind becomes so tuned to the rhythm of two wheels that you only look for places to ride, when you picture yourself standing on every mountain top in sight about to drop into a trail, and when someone asks you "Are you still spending all your time riding your bike?" and you answer "YES!" (like there is anything better to do) You have found your passion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

So much better than a Nev

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er

Well months after getting a HighRoller 2.5 triple compound for the rear wheel, I finally got to try it out on South Mountain yesterday. That tyre rocks, easily worth the extra pound in weight - I'll have to get a matching Minion DHF for the front. Then I might have to get a bigger bike to go with them...
    Last edited by boredwitless; 02-26-2007 at 09:46 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0