EDR

Tues. night FUN night...National.

Me and a friend are going to try going up Natty and back down Tue. night. Meeting at 6:30-6:45pm at the Pima lot. I've never tried a technical trail at night and only have one light (helmet mount) so this outta be a hoot FWIW I only even used my light about 3 times in the last few years.

Come on down and meet us if your interested in what should be a scary fun time.

I'm posting a bit prematuraly as my son has baseball playoffs next week. If his game falls on Tue. I''ll need to reschedule.

I'll post back. Me: Black Yeti/white Frontier. Him: Brown/rust/beer-poop colored Enduro.

See ya there!

-Jamie

oooh, shiny...
    I'm in. I've been wanting to try natty at night for a while now.

parenting for gnarness
    that sounds fun and perfect, but Tues i'm in the wrong part of the valley... Thanks for posting EDR, maybe another time.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

EDR
    No game tonight but it's 3:25pm right now and I'm slammed at work. Not sure I'll be getting out of here on time. If I do, I'll be there...my bike's in the truck. No firm commitment from me at this time though....sorry Ry-daddy.

oooh, shiny...
    No problem. Shoot me a PM if you can make it. I'm just a few minutes down the road.

"No Clue Crew"
    Hope you guys ride it tonight. Blatant and I rode natty this morning at 6am and had a blast! Video to come...........D

mtbr member
    If I can make it, I'll be on a Ti hardtail, yellow jersey. Don't wait for me.

oooh, shiny...
    EDR, thanks for posting up the ride. What a hoot!

It's the only pic I took and it was with my phone. Thought I'd share anyway.

EDR
    Wow! What a great time. Cru blasted that trail on his hardtail. Ry made a few steep ups look easy. Ted managed the 'one light on the bars thing' pretty darn well. The waterfall was conquered in the dark...that was a hoot. Some of the common drops/jumps were hit, despite not really seeing the landing zone until it's too late to matter. All this and a rattle snake siting by Cu to boot! Thanks for calling back to me, "Snake!". Glad I never saw it, probably would have freaked like a little girl. Instead I just pedaled harder and closed my eyes, lol.

Thanks for coming all. I'm absolutely terrible with names but I think I got Ryan out of Ry-daddy, Cru...sorry I forgot your name but next time I'll pay more attention, maybe

Anyhow this is definately on my list of things to do this summer more often. Hope me and Ted didn't hold you guys up too much on the way up. I'm pretty sure Ted has a Percocet or two in his system by now

-Jamie

mtbr member
    Mucho fun. I headed out the the helipad afterwards and saw a few more riders. Hated to come home as it was such perfect weather!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Were you guys able to park at the Pima lot? I rode over there last week and saw that it was closed at 6pm. Shorter park hours I think. Plenty of other places to park, just wondering.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    Were you guys able to park at the Pima lot? I rode over there last week and saw that it was closed at 6pm. Shorter park hours I think. Plenty of other places to park, just wondering.
    You sure about 6pm? Didn't think they closed the gate till 7pm. Sounds like as long as you get your vehicle in there before the gate closes they don't care if you're riding out there or not.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    You sure about 6pm? Didn't think they closed the gate till 7pm. Sounds like as long as you get your vehicle in there before the gate closes they don't care if you're riding out there or not.
    6pm may be the new dog park hours I'm thinking of. I was at Pima about 6-7 and it was closed. Wasn't paying too close attention to the time so I bet your right. Either way, 7pm is still earlier. That's good news if they don't care if you're out riding. Good info.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

EDR
    I got to Pima lot at 6:45. There must have been 75 cars in the lot. By the time we rolled back down there was exactly one car aside from our own.

Anyhow Ted said he read a sign at the gate that the park closed at 6pm. That is obviously not the case. The ranger was in the lot as we were unloading and she was not the least bit concerned with us or anybody else parking and heading out at 7pm. She was probably getting ready to lock the bathrooms and close the front "in" gate on the way out.

I posted last week about parking at Pima and was told the ranger said that we just need to be off the mtn. and out of the lot by 11 or 11:30. Maybe they actually close the "out" gate at that time, but I doubt it. If anyone was stranded in the hills (and possibly hurt) and did make it out only to find their car is locked in until morning would have a real gripe with the city.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 05-26-2010 at 10:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I posted last week about parking at Pima and was told the ranger said that we just need to be off the mtn. and out of the lot by 11 or 11:30. Maybe they actually close the "out" gate at that time, but I doubt it. If anyone was stranded in the hills (and possibly hurt) and did make it out only to find their car is locked in until morning would have a real gripe with the city.
    Thanks for this information; I've been wondering about that. Anyone know if it's the same deal in PMP, at Dreamy Draw and the 40th St. lot?

mtbr member
    I got to Pima lot at 6:45. There must have been 75 cars in the lot. By the time we rolled back down there was exactly one car aside from our own.

Anyhow Ted said he read a sign at the gate that the park closed at 6pm. That is obviously not the case. The ranger was in the lot as we were unloading and she was not the least bit concerned with us or anybody else parking and heading out at 7pm. She was probably getting ready to lock the bathrooms and close the front "in" gate on the way out.

I rolled out of the parking lot last night right around 11:30, and the "out" gate was still open. I've come in as early as 4:30 1-2x/week last summer and never seen it closed....so I'm not 100% sure if the out gate is ever closed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    I thought I saw a sign by the bathrooms stating the parking lot would be closed on Memorial day, the 4th and Labor day. I never paid attention to see if they've done that in the past, this confirms it.

EDR

Lots open till 7pm, Trails open till 11pm...

Here is the parking situation. Looks like things have changed for the summer months but the signs at the park remain outdated.

From their site> http://phoenix.gov/PARKS/hikesoth.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tues. night FUN night...National.-screenhunter_02-may.-26-14.27.gif  

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyaduck
    Thanks for this information; I've been wondering about that. Anyone know if it's the same deal in PMP, at Dreamy Draw and the 40th St. lot?
    The Phoenix rangers have been told not to lock any cars inside the park. I don't think they're locking the out gates whatsover.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    All this and a rattle snake siting by Cu to boot! Thanks for calling back to me, "Snake!". Glad I never saw it, probably would have freaked like a little girl. Instead I just pedaled harder and closed my eyes, lol.
    Two night rides and two rattlers...this one I full on ran over last night coming down the Goat Trail. He was stretched across the trail, and managed to get a picture (albeit blurry) as well as he wasn't in a hurry to get moving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tues. night FUN night...National.-snake.jpg  

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    Two night rides and two rattlers...this one I full on ran over last night coming down the Goat Trail. He was stretched across the trail, and managed to get a picture (albeit blurry) as well as he wasn't in a hurry to get moving.
    I rode Natty yesterday afternoon and came to a stop when I encountered a 2ft Mohave. At first I wasn't even sure it had a rattle.....but quickly found out it sure did

Members who have read this thread: 0