mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Tucson trailhead vehicle security

Connecting with friends from CA in Tucson next week. Ride plans are being finalized.

Question about security of vehicles at trailheads in the area. We're going to have camping gear, bike tools, and such, so this is a concern. And no, I NEVER leave my wallet in my vehicle.

Any areas to avoid? Hints, tips, suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Not familiar with any of the trails down in Tucson but I would suggest you list out the specific trails you're interested in. That way anyone with knowledge for those particular areas can give you the best info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Fantasy Island has breakins on occasion but the trails experience heavy traffic on weekends and weekday mornings and afternoons. It's the midday folks and night riders that experience issues. Other than that, perhaps Starr Pass has some but otherwise you should be safe. Although 50 year also has had break ins in the past, but the same applies with respect to the times. But by in large, Tucson is pretty safe. I might suggest riding on Lemmon where there is great camping with camp hosts. Hope this helps.
    facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Looking at Fantasy Island
    Sweetwater
    Tucson Mtn Park
    Catalina SP,
    AZT TH along Marsh Station Rd.
    For Honeybee, we have the option of parking in a friends driveway.

mtbr member
    I've been going to Tucson for the week of Christmas for the past 5 years and I've never had an issue at any TH. No clue how I was this stupid, but I left the passenger door open (open, not unlocked) on my rental and nothing was touched after I came back 5 hours later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    No clue how I was this stupid, but I left the passenger door open (open, not unlocked) on my rental and nothing was touched after I came back 5 hours later.
    I did that at Whistler once, except my wallet was sitting there on the front seat. Came back at lunchtime and nearly crapped my pants. Amazingly no one touched it. No idea how I spaced out to leave the door open never mind the wallet there.

I don't have much input except that I've never had problems in maybe 5 trips. On the first trip we rode 50 Year and there was broken glass in the parking lot, which was a bit concerning because we had to leave a friend's bike in the back seat of the truck. No issues for us though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Never had an issue at Genser Trailhead in Starr pass and have been going there for 4 years and at all times of the day. Would not park at 36th street trailhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my car broken into at the end of Golder Ranch Rd. Was riding 50 year. They broke a window to get in. Police said that we were far from the first to have a problem in that area.

I'm pretty sure that the thieves were mostly attracted by all the stuff in the car. We were at the start of a few days of traveling. Best bet is to get as much as possible out of sight. And DO NOT leave your wallet in the car. That's a mistake I'll never make again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by billscurry View Post
    Looking at Fantasy Island
    Sweetwater
    Tucson Mtn Park
    Catalina SP,
    AZT TH along Marsh Station Rd.
    For Honeybee, we have the option of parking in a friends driveway.
    I ride all of these trails regularly, I have never had one issue.. I usually ride mid-morning around 830am and have never had one issue... That said, I never leave anything in plain view... I also have a shitty truck and I am guessing they figure I have nothing worth stealing... The only place I would be careful is Catalina... Never had an issue but if you are just doing the short track to the shoots... and park at the top of the hill, i would not leave anything in the open... If you park at the Chase and ride the full 50yr from the state park, I feel that is very safe..

mtbr member
    Safest parking for 50 Year is to park at the Basha's at the corner of East Golder Ranch and Oracle Rd (77) and ride the 2 miles of Golder Ranch Rd in. Be sure to buy *something* from the store...an energy bar, some water, whatever...just to appease the Manager and not appear to be total freeloaders. And try to be somewhat discreet.

DO NOT park at the 36th St. TH for TMP. Park at Richard Genser TH. Or park at the Camino de Oeste TH.