Tucson - Oro Valley Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Tucson - Oro Valley Trails

Hi all,

I'll be heading down to Tucson with my wife for a couple of days this weekend. We would like to check out at least one good trail when we're there and am hoping someone can recommend a few good ones. My wife is a beginer, so the trail will have to be something she can ride and enjoy.

We'll be staying around the Oro Valley area off Ina Rd., so something we could ride to would be even better. Are there any beginner trails in this area?

Thanks.

Occidental Tourist
    the 24 hours in the old pueblo course would be a good option as would the 50 years trail. i'd recommend starting the 50 years trail from the dirt lot at goulder ranch road and heading north toward the chutes.

http://www.sdmb.org/24hours.html
    http://www.sdmb.org/csp_50year_golder.html
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GF_TASS

We'll be staying around the Oro Valley area off Ina Rd., so something we could ride to would be even better. Are there any beginner trails in this area?

Thanks.
    Being that 'around the Oro Valley area off Ina Rd' is a rather broad area, a few details:

From Ina & Oracle Road junction,it is about 6-8 miles up Oracle to Catalina State Park entrance. The southern terminus of the 50 Year Trail can be accessed from this location. The Golder Ranch Road Trailhead would be an additional 8 miles up Oracle Road to Golder Ranch. Golder east two miles to parking area. The trail system has more options for varying abilities from this access point.

There is double-track and singletrack in the area.

My wife is a beginer, so the trail will have to be something she can ride and enjoy.
    Not knowing what your wife's 'beginner designation' entails, regarding actual experience, likes/dislikes,'something she can ride and enjoy' would, obviously, be completely up to her.

The 50 Year Trail puts you closer to the actual mountains than the 24 Hour Course. 24 has a lot of fireroad, is further from your location (and another 10 miles or so further down the road to an access point on the course). Unless you are in the mood for a long ride, a drive to the 24 trailhead might be an option.

The only easier trail would be Fantasy Island, but it isn't near your location. In a car I suspect that getting to the 24 Hour course or Fantasy Island would require about the same amount of time ~ about 45 minutes or so…
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I figured Oro Valley and Ina raods were a long shot, but at least it provided a starting point. Sorry to be so vague, but that's all I know as well

By my wife being a beginner I meant 0 technical abilities. I'm not even sure what she would like or dislike at this point, but know she would hate technical sections and would probably crash and be in a foul mood from that point forward

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations. I tried to look for trail reviews, but wasn't sure what was close-by. I'll look both places up and see which one she may enjoy riding.

"Yabut"

This is the trail you want.....

Doesn't sound like she has much experience. If that is the case, this would be the trail for her. It's in Oro Valley proper, probably 20 minutes from Ina road.

http://sdmb.org/honeybee_canyon.html

~Aaron~

Legend in my own mind

another option

If your wife doesn't want to do dirt, the Rillito river has a nice bike path that she might enjoy. I have do it with my wife and she liked it. There are several small parks along the route. Start at La Cholla and the River and go east.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

all proper bovine excrement aside…

I figured Oro Valley and Ina raods were a long shot, but at least it provided a starting point. Sorry to be so vague, but that's all I know as well

By my wife being a beginner I meant 0 technical abilities. I'm not even sure what she would like or dislike at this point, but know she would hate technical sections and would probably crash and be in a foul mood from that point forward

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations. I tried to look for trail reviews, but wasn't sure what was close-by. I'll look both places up and see which one she may enjoy riding.

take her out to the 50 Year Trail Area. DON"T park at Golder, but proceed though the gate , the road splits, take the left branch, go right at the second dirt turn-off (from Equestrian Trail Road, the dirt road you'll be traversing). Park here!

Start on doubletrack that leads east out to towards the Santa Catalina Mtns. It will give her a chance to get used to the feel of the bike on dirt.

If you are going on Sunday ( I'm doing Globe Saturday), give me a 'heads up' and I would be happy to show you the trail area of which I speak. Actually, since I could ride home from there, I could show you the way across 'the top' to the chutes area. Let me know if you are interested. My gal might go, too…
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    If you are going on Sunday ( I'm doing Globe Saturday), give me a 'heads up' and I would be happy to show you the trail area of which I speak. Actually, since I could ride home from there, I could show you the way across 'the top' to the chutes area. Let me know if you are interested. My gal might go, too…

CJ,

We'll most likely go out on Saturday, or I'd take you up on your offer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis
    If your wife doesn't want to do dirt, the Rillito river has a nice bike path that she might enjoy. I have do it with my wife and she liked it. There are several small parks along the route. Start at La Cholla and the River and go east.
    As it turned out, I woke up with major back pain on Friday and we almost canceled our Tucson trip. We decided to go and take it easy, se we went rode the Rillito river ride.

It was a nice mellow ride for the most part until we found ourselves on the opposite side of the river with no biking signs Instead of turning back, I decided to cross the river wash to the other side...by this time, I was feeling much better and wanted to tear up the sand and get a bit of a workout as well. I told my wife to stand by until I had a chance to ride it and assess the complexity of crossing.

Long story short, I flew down on a ramp, jumped a log and almost did a face plant, when I hit soft sand. Of course, my wife was having a pretty good chuckle at this point
    I saw bike tracks through the sand, so stubborn as I am, I decided to hop back on and ride it through...yeah...kind of like the other biker

I made it half way across, sliding sideways and gruntin' the whole way, when my bike stopped dead and unable to unclip went down on my right side covering myself in a cloud of fine dust. Half of my body was under fine sand and the other half trying to unclip my other foot from the pedal, while it was hitting the frame with no leverage to move it away from the bike... By this time...my wife was having a howlin' good time

Anyway, I asked for a trail my wife could enjoy and boy did she ever

The good thing about the fall was, the fact that the sand was so soft, I didn't aggravate my back at all, so all is well. The only injury was my ego

Members who have read this thread: 0