Tucson MTB riders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Tucson MTB riders

Hey all,
    I'm diving into the sport with a Stache 5 29+ rigid, coming from dirt biking and dual sporting and a hit or miss mtb love affair with old bikes over the years.
    I have a buddy that's on a diamondback 29er hard tail for the time being. We've done some sections of the AZ trail: Pistol Hill, Gabe Zimmerman, Bug Springs, Hope Camp so far.
    We're really digging bug Springs and getting ready to dive into more sections of the full Lemmon Drop. Seems like it's not something to do alone, and I haven't seen any ride threads for the Tucson area on here, so I'm reaching out to see if anyone else is in the area and wants to join up for rides? Safety in numbers, plus maybe better options for shuttling/pick up vehicles. My friend is in a Prius, and I'm in a 4runner. I have a cargo rack and a bike rack, but the bike rack goes to a 1" receiver and we haven't found the adapter yet to fit my 2" receiver.
    Anyhoo - anyone out there? We have good night lights and love to get out while it's cooler in the evenings. More scenic rides like Mt. Lemmon deserve daylight rides though!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Welcome to awesome world of MTB, looks like you've hit up some great trails!

Have you checked out TORCA? They regularly set up lemon shuttles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks! I've heard of them, and will check them out. Also looking for more peeps to ride with.

mtbr member
    Definitely check out the local groups, SAMBA, SDMB, MTB addicts and TORCA. They're all great. I'd offer to meet up but I'll be out of town until July!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks! Most of those trails I named I actually did with SAMBA. Great guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Friedom,

You may want to try posting this same request out at the Tucson forum as well. Might get a few more replies:

Mountain Biking Tucson - Tucson MTB

DC

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks DC. I must have missed that one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey Freidom,
    Check out our facebook page as we post up a monthly social ride as well as a monthly trail work day. You'll also want to check out our budding MTB festival that is ballooning every year. This year it is slated for the weekend of October 21st and will have our shuttle day(Freeride Friday as it is called), a demo day with tons of manufacturers(Saturday) and a Enduro style race on Sunday. Hope you can join us for one f our rides and if you're felling punchy, for one of our trail days. Either way, we'll how you a good time. In addition, check out our friends at homegrownmtb.com. They offer shuttles, guiding services, Rental Bikes as well as coaching. Cheers!
    facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks TORCA!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Home Grown Mountain Biking Tours LLC offers shuttles, guiding, coaching, and rentals... HG MTB hosts a weekly shuttle ride on Aspen Draw (very top of Mt Lemmon) nearly every Friday called "Freeride Friday". Check out Home Grown or TORCA on Facebook (TORCA members receive 50% off on this shuttle!).

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    How come The FRF isn't listed on the Home Grown MTB calender? Cool website, but seems like no one is home. Is it because of the heat?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The calendar isn't currently updated as the only ride we run in the summer is Freeride Friday. We accommodate private tours, shuttles, and lessons, but those aren't posted on the general calendar.

Feel free to check in with our Facebook page (Home Grown Mountain Biking Tours).

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    That makes sense, I figured I was just missing something.
    A Stache 5 (29+ rigid) would be more than capable for Aspen draw, right?
    Might want to put a little note in there mentioning the summer schedule.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks for the feedback!!

Aspen Draw is an Expert trail. That said, riders bring anything from a fully rigid to 8" travel downhill bike. Just depends on how fast you want to go down the trail!! (wink wink)

A minimum of 5" travel is best, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Cool. I'm sure FS bikes are a blast, but I'm having tons of fun doing Bugs on my semi fat. From what I understand Aspen Draw isn't any "harder" or more technical. Might be steeper though.

mtbr member
    MTBR Arizona forum is not used to post rides. Its mainly used for trolling, complaining, and asking for advice about the best tires for AZ.

Let me know when you are going out wheeling in your 4 runner.

Nathan G from Tucson

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hey Nathan
    How's that mystery shock holding up?
    Have you driven down the service road for Mt. Lemmon yet? It's not hard, but if you have a few extra hours and are feeling ambitious, head towards Peppersauce, but turn left at the Cottonwood Canyon and follow your way up to Rice Peak.
    Oh, and tell someone if you're going it alone. Hehe
    Also, what's your take on Aspen Draw?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedom View Post
    Hey all,
    I'm diving into the sport with a Stache 5 29+ rigid, coming from dirt biking and dual sporting and a hit or miss mtb love affair with old bikes over the years.
    I have a buddy that's on a diamondback 29er hard tail for the time being. We've done some sections of the AZ trail: Pistol Hill, Gabe Zimmerman, Bug Springs, Hope Camp so far.
    We're really digging bug Springs and getting ready to dive into more sections of the full Lemmon Drop. Seems like it's not something to do alone, and I haven't seen any ride threads for the Tucson area on here, so I'm reaching out to see if anyone else is in the area and wants to join up for rides? Safety in numbers, plus maybe better options for shuttling/pick up vehicles. My friend is in a Prius, and I'm in a 4runner. I have a cargo rack and a bike rack, but the bike rack goes to a 1" receiver and we haven't found the adapter yet to fit my 2" receiver.
    Anyhoo - anyone out there? We have good night lights and love to get out while it's cooler in the evenings. More scenic rides like Mt. Lemmon deserve daylight rides though!

Hey, don't know if you're still checking this, but I'm down to ride. I'm new to the sport, riding a HT X-Caliber 8. Have my own rack on a civic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Coolness! Where ya liking riding so far?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Started out at Sweetwater Preserve, mostly for early morning rides. I just discovered Fantasy Island, and oh my dog am I in love with that place! I cannot get enough of it. I like these because they allow me to work on my skills and still have a wicked good time. Really eager to get out on some of the AZT sections you mentioned. I just finished a CDT section over by Silver city, NM this past week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Haha fantasy island is cool. I always liked the half pipe, though I usually lumber through it with the grace of a hippo. In my head, though, epic air time!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    My latest gash I posted over in the big passion thread came from the half-pipe. Find the right line at the right speed and that feature is golden!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'm tossing around doing a ride later today. Not skeert of heat, I need some exercise.

"Good job, guys. "

Plus size jersey model
    I am always down for a few rides a week. I generally do a Wed night ride on the west side and Fri-Sunday. I am the VP for TORCA though so you may have to hear me jabber on about all the stuff we are working on. I mainly ride XC stuff but like to get crazy and do things like Millie and whatnot. Basically will ride anything in Tucson just because I like to be on my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I don't mind jabbering. I'll just be working hard to keep up with you.
    I'm curious about Millie - I live far east and haven't rode anything west of Fantasy Island except pavement.

"Good job, guys. "

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Post went to wrong forum
    Last edited by Friedom; 07-13-2016 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Delete

Plus size jersey model
    Millie is amazing. I like to start at the bottom ride around and up Redington Rd to the AZT. Then take the AZT to Millie. Its an aamzing day on the bike. Its all the xc/dh you can handle in a day. Millie is probably one of the techiest rides in AZ or in the whole SW but its amazing. Its a little hot for it right now since its at the base of Lemmon but in a few months it will be non stop. As for east side trails I honestly think FI is not all that great but its close which is nice. The AZT out by colossal cave is pretty amazing fun xc trail. Shoot me a PM is you want a tour guide I love showing people Tucsons amazing trails.

You also mentioned the Lemmon Drop. Its a beast and its amazing one of the hardest days I have ever had on a bike. It always kicks my ass I makes the whole enchilada in Moab look like a paved river path trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'm not clear on this yet, so bear with me please. I live at the base of reddington rd, have done lots of 4x4 and dirt biking up there and am generally pretty familiar with it. Also have biked hope camp, the lakes, and pistol hill most of the way to three bridges. Been down bug Springs and prison camp.
    Where is Millie??
    Is it by chance that unnamed unmarked section going down by the switchbacks on Reddington?
    Love to take you up on that tour!

"Good job, guys. "

Plus size jersey model
    So Millie is about 7 miles westish of Redington Rd on the AZT. Most people access it usually from Molino Basin on Mt Lemmon. La Milagrosa Mountain Bike Trail - Mt. Lemmon, Tucson
    Caution that site is addicting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Oh gee I knew about Millagrosa. Didn't realize "Millie" was short for it. I'd love to hit that up, either early or when it cools off.
    I'm riding a rigid Stache 5 29+. Will it be too technical? I love bugs.

"Good job, guys. "

Plus size jersey model
    To technical is all relative. I have done it on my SS rigid but its more fun on a FS and I am sure there are some that would say its dumb to ride it on a rigid bike. Those people are no fun though. If you are having a blast on Bugs then its time to scope Millie out. Its about 10x as crazy as Bugs and about 1000x more rockier. I never say any trail can't be ridden on any bike if you want it bad enough. Plus you never know until you try it.

What else have you ridden on Lemmon? Bigelow, Sunset, Green Mountain?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Haven't made it higher than bugs on a bike. Have hiked a lot of them though, and so far Aspen and incinerator look excellent.

"Good job, guys. "

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'm aiming to make it up to the TORCA freeride Friday tomorrow, but having trouble verifying details about it. Anyone know specifics?

"Good job, guys. "

Plus size jersey model
    They meet at 2pm at the visitors center in Summerhaven. It's super easy to find since SH is so small. It's right when you come into the town. They will be in a big red shuttle van. They run shuttles until dark so just show up when you can and jump in the next shuttle that comes by.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks, what about signing up/payment?

"Good job, guys. "

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Well I went. It was awesome. 1st trip I was seriously questioning my decision to be there. Thankfully I tried a second time, which was a lot better. By the 5th time I had dropped my starting 16 min run to about 11. What a great time! I was the only one without full suspension, but my 29+ soaked it right up.
    Anyone riding tomorrow night?

"Good job, guys. "