Tucson Area AZ Trail- Mtbr.com
    Plus size jersey model

Tucson Area AZ Trail Questions?

I am looking for some good starting places to get onto the AZ trail around the Tucson area. I would love to ride some of it, but don't know where to get a good starting point. The Az trail website does'nt seem to have any trail heads listed or places of entry from what I can find. Thanks for any help I can get locating some of these points.
    Last edited by bigworm520; 12-07-2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: misleading title

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by sikwoodbiker
    I am looking for some good starting places to get onto the AZ trail around the Tucson area. I would love to ride some of it, but don't know where to get a good starting point. The Az trail website does'nt seem to have any trail heads listed or places of entry from what I can find. Thanks for any help I can get locating some of these points.
    Here are a few easy places to access the AZ trail:

Molino Basin Campground (on Catalina Highway, ~MP5). Trail crosses road there.

Redington Pass - Trail crosses Redington Road at ~MP 12.

Pistol Hill Road. At intersection of Old Spanish Trail and Pistol Hill turn north on Pistol Hill where it is dirt. Go ~1.5 miles to the first cattle guard. Trail crosses right before the cattle guard.

Colossal Cave Mountain Park - Trail drops into La Sevilla Picnic area

What kind of riding are you looking for? Large variety of trails along the AZ trail and in the Tucson area.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Plus size jersey model
    I am looking for pretty much any kind of ride except real technical downhill stuff. I usally ride Starr Pass, Brown Mountain, or 50 year, so rides along those lines.

"Yabut"
    OK, in that case, DO NOT ride the AZ Trail at Molino Basin. It is very technical. Your best bet is the Pistol Hill entrance. It's nice and twisty, fairly flat, and fast. Go either direction from the cattle guard. Heading "west" on the trail, you will dead end at a big ol' creek (dry, of course). Heading "east" will take you to Collasal Cave Park, and beyond.

But the above is just the new section. You can also access the AZT at Kentucky Camp, which is in Gardner Canyon (towards sonoita). http://sdmb.org/gardner_kentucy_camp.html

~Aaron~

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Theres also a section coming off the Mt. Lemmon Control road, which is
    supposed to be pretty nice. You access that by going thru Oracle and
    parking at the Triangle-Y Camp.
    I haven't gotten a chance to try this one yet, so I can't attest to what kind of a ride
    it is. Here is a description and directions:

http://www.sdmb.org/ORACLE.html

Plus size jersey model
    How do I get to the Pistol Hill entrance?

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by sikwoodbiker
    How do I get to the Pistol Hill entrance?

That depends on where you live. You can head east on Old Spanish Trail until it crosses Pistol Hill Road. Take a left on Pistol Hill Road (which will be a dirt road), go about 1.5 miles to the cattle guard.

Or, you can exit I-10 at the Vail Road exit. Head north for several miles (it winds around quite a bit), and the road will become Pistol Hill Road. It will eventually cross Old Spanish Trail, and you can take it from there, using the above directions.

~Aaron~

Plus size jersey model
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    This section was fun! Sure, there's a bit of a work-out in the climb, but the downhill
    was nice. Unfortunately, it was a short loop. Over-all, I could have used about triple this
    mileage.

Not sure, but I thought that there was now additional AZ Trail on the other side of that
    same Control Rd?

Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Theres also a section coming off the Mt. Lemmon Control road, which is
    supposed to be pretty nice. You access that by going thru Oracle and
    parking at the Triangle-Y Camp.
    I haven't gotten a chance to try this one yet, so I can't attest to what kind of a ride
    it is. Here is a description and directions:

http://www.sdmb.org/ORACLE.html
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    This section was fun! Sure, there's a bit of a work-out in the climb, but the downhill
    was nice. Unfortunately, it was a short loop. Over-all, I could have used about triple this
    mileage.
    i'm house-sitting in that area this week and was thinking of trying this trail this weekend. would you guys recommend it? or are there other trails in the area that you think are better? your feedback is much appreciated!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by dHarriet
    i'm house-sitting in that area this week and was thinking of trying this trail this weekend. would you guys recommend it? or are there other trails in the area that you think are better? your feedback is much appreciated!

Yeah, once you are done riding the Cody Trail, and you are back at your car, head directly accross the street. This section of trail will give you a slight downhill for about 3 miles, and the trail is nice and twisty. When you get to a Big Ol' dirt road (It's like 4 lanes wide) you can turn around. Or, you can go through the gate, cross the road, and continue on with the trail. (Look for the trailhead about 50 yards down the road, on the other side of the big ol' dirt road.) This trail goes for miles, and you can go into Oracle State Park. But if the rangers see you, they will ask for their two dollars. This section of trail was used in The Soul Ride. Have fun! It's really pretty out there.

~Aaron~

involuntary dismounter
    thanks Aaron! i will DEFINITELY check it out!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Members who have read this thread: 0