Tubeless In Phoenix?- Mtbr.com
    Just Joshin' ya!

Tubeless In Phoenix?

I am wondering what people's luck is with tubeless tires here in Phoenix. I am running a Mavic 823 rim and I threw a non UST tire (Kenda Nevegal) on it with a fair amount of Stans. The bead appears to have sealed. My issues come from puntures in the tire tread. Does the Stan's seal it that well? Has anyone ever had the UST rim and tire puncture so that it will not seal? What do I do at that point?
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

"Yabut"

Happy Tubeless Tales

I have had really good luck with tubeless. Both using UST tires, and non-UST. I found that if I use UST tires, Slime (for tubeless tires. Cheap at auto parts stores) works the best. Never had a single flat, until I sliced the sidewall. Stans works good for non-UST tires. If you do get a flat, just pop in a inner tube, just like normal. Sure, your hands might get a little messy. Just carry a shop rag wth you.

~Aaron~

AKA shitbird
    I love tubeless, won't go back to tubes. Way too many rocks here to get pinchflats on unless you want to run really high pressure. I have Mavic XM819 UST wheels and have used UST specific tires with NO problems (unless I tear a sidewall).

Just recently put some non UST tires on with stans, I'm not to sure about it though, it looks like they are slowly leaking through the sidewall, little drops of liquid are seeping through. Is it possible that the tires I'm using have porous sidewalls? Maxxis Minion DH 2.35's. Dude at the LBS suggested these for running tubeless on UST rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just recently put some non UST tires on with stans, I'm not to sure about it though, it looks like they are slowly leaking through the sidewall, little drops of liquid are seeping through. Is it possible that the tires I'm using have porous sidewalls? Maxxis Minion DH 2.35's. Dude at the LBS suggested these for running tubeless on UST rims.[/QUOTE]

i think you are losing air because you never ride. the next time you get your bike on the trail its gonna burn out from lack of use. you should try to ease back into it first. might i suggest a few laps around the parking lot to get the bike prepared, otherwise it might just cry trying to keep up with landon and me just kidding dude. i have the same prob with my 819s and spec tubeless tires. they lose a little air bit by bit, but when i noticed that i had a high excess of old stan on the bead i foubd the culprit. it creates a porus surface for tha air to leak through and if you dont check the press every ride you will be pleasently surprised (scars). also i switched to slime instead of stans, it seems to work much better.

if you flat with a tubeless tire it is a good idea to have a tube but also a dollar bill or a used goo packet so the tube doesnt turtle-head out of the puncture point. just place it on the inner wall of the tire between tire and tube and voila.

Too many Sedonuts...
    I've had mostly excellent luck running tubeless. Riding a XC bike on mostly tame trails in the phoenix area I've had one flat in a little over a year riding them, approx 3X a week. The one flat I did have was pretty catastrophic, requiring a new tire, but that happens regardless of the setup. I use Stan's in mine running on Crossmax SL's and they have been pretty bombproof. I just built up a new bike without tubeless tires about 2 weeks ago and have already had 3 flats, though that was without any slime/stan's in them. Since I slimed them they haven't flatted.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    I love tubeless, won't go back to tubes. Way too many rocks here to get pinchflats on unless you want to run really high pressure. I have Mavic XM819 UST wheels and have used UST specific tires with NO problems (unless I tear a sidewall).

Just recently put some non UST tires on with stans, I'm not to sure about it though, it looks like they are slowly leaking through the sidewall, little drops of liquid are seeping through. Is it possible that the tires I'm using have porous sidewalls? Maxxis Minion DH 2.35's. Dude at the LBS suggested these for running tubeless on UST rims.
    This may be a ridiculous question, but how do I put a tube into this rim? They are Mavic EX 823s and the presta valve appears to be part of the rim. If you can take it out, do you have to use a presta tube? Can you fit a schraeder in there? I am worried about getting a flat out in the middle of nowhere and not being able to fix it.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

"Yabut"
    Yeah, the stem just unscrews from the rim, with a little "nut" inside the rim. Then, you use a presta tube. No, a schrader won't work.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    i think you are losing air because you never ride. the next time you get your bike on the trail its gonna burn out from lack of use. you should try to ease back into it first. might i suggest a few laps around the parking lot to get the bike prepared, otherwise it might just cry trying to keep up with landon and me just kidding dude. i have the same prob with my 819s and spec tubeless tires. they lose a little air bit by bit, but when i noticed that i had a high excess of old stan on the bead i foubd the culprit. it creates a porus surface for tha air to leak through and if you dont check the press every ride you will be pleasently surprised (scars). also i switched to slime instead of stans, it seems to work much better.

if you flat with a tubeless tire it is a good idea to have a tube but also a dollar bill or a used goo packet so the tube doesnt turtle-head out of the puncture point. just place it on the inner wall of the tire between tire and tube and voila.[/QUOTE]

I always carry the extra tubes and a couple bills too but this is weird, the air isn't coming from the bead, it's coming straight through the sidewall (like in the middle of the tire). I'll try to take a picture and post it. It's strange, looks kinda like I laid the bike down in a cactus patch with super tiny needles.

recovering roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    I always carry the extra tubes and a couple bills too but this is weird, the air isn't coming from the bead, it's coming straight through the sidewall (like in the middle of the tire). I'll try to take a picture and post it. It's strange, looks kinda like I laid the bike down in a cactus patch with super tiny needles.
    I think that is somewhat normal - but how much it's leaking may not be normal. I often run a non-UST tire in the front because they are more supple and shock absorbing, and a UST in back because the sidewalls are tougher and last longer.

Anyway, just a few days ago I mounted a WTB non-UST tire on the front and it seeped out the sidewalls until the Stan's juice sealed it up. Be sure to rotate the tire so the sealant covers all of the insides and it will eventually seal in my experience. Of course, you could have a tire that has more than normal perforations in the sidewall...

Members who have read this thread: 0