Tubeless issue... maybe...- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew

Tubeless issue... maybe...

I converted my tires to tubeless this week. Stan's strips and a 1:2:2 Homebrew and I'm feeling like one of the cool kids now

My rear tire was an older Velociraptor that had quite a few rough miles on it. Enough so that the middle lugs were about half worn down. It had a ton of little- and medium-sized holes in the sidewall but also had one big hole just on the corner of the tread. Homebrew would seal it but just bouncing it on the ground by the hole blew sealant again so I canned it and pulled a brand new Weirwolf I had and it sealed great.

The front was a Weirwolf as well with a few miles on it but nothing like the Velociraptor. It has a ton of little pin pricks in the sidewall and after riding today I'm seeing what looks like seepage from around the bead on both sides. The tire doesn't feel like it's lost any air but I'm curious about the seepage. The back tire shows none of this seepage.

Until I rode this morning the spots on the sidewall were just pinpricks. They look to have bled a little while on the trail.

I've got another Weirwolf to put on but since I'm not losing any air, or not enough to worry about especially during one ride, I'm guessing that I should not be alarmed. I'm still carrying 2 extra tubes

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I used the 20" inner tube method and it seeped a little, even lost a little air, for the first day or two. Since then it has been holding air just fine.

It could be the tire isn't quite seated, or it could be as you suggest, it just needs a bit more time to seal. If ti isn't losing air, it is probably fine. Note to self, don't ride behind you too close. Might get plastered with home brew tire goo.
    "This is my favorite section...watch your step..."

mtbr member
    The weeping seems to be the norm if you use the sauce.
    I posted a question in the wheels and tires about it and got a wide array of responses.

I'm a few months into my specialized captains with the sauce, and they look the same. Look at the pictures I posted in the linked thread, my tires look just like yours, I haven't had any problems yet.

Always a good idea IMO to cary tubes though, sidewall tears on the trail pretty much require them.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=665633
    Last edited by GR1822; 12-11-2010 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I don't think that's the thead you think it is......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem
    I don't think that's the thead you think it is......
    Thanks. It is now. I think.

No Clue Crew
    I noticed that I went tubeless, rode one day, and then it sat for a week. After that week it lost a considerable amount of air and there were also a half dozen drops of home brew on the garage floor. Other than that no issues so I just keep an eye on the air before I ride and all's well...

Members who have read this thread: 0