mtbr member
    May 2010

Tube/Tire suggestions

So I keep getting flats, I've had my bike for about 3 weeks now and have had a total of 4 flats. 1 in front 3 in rear.

Please recommend me a good tube/tire combo ( 29er )

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No tubes is my recommendation. Either Stan's kit or Ghetto tubeless.

I'm still trying to figure out what rear tire I like, but I'm pretty happy with the Specialized Purgatory 29x2.4 on the front.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Word, I didn't know this was possible. I'm definatly going to buy or make my own kit and do this ( and get better tires ).

Thanks man

slow and whiney
    Feb 2010
    Reads like a commercial.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Wider rims will help as well. When I moved up to 28mm rims, my flat rate went from one every other ride to one every 3 months. Also, Slime in your tubes will help dramatically.

That being said, tubeless makes a lot of sense, but will require more maint. than what I mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Tubeless, no doubt about it. I run a Saguaro Geax in back and a Kenda Nevegal up front (both 29'er). No flats (knock on wood for the no-jinx here) for 6+ months around SoMo, Hawes, MMP, etc...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I also run ghetto tubless. I havent had a flat in 2 years and have popped the tire off the bead to check/add sealant and give it a blast of air and all is well. This by far is not a hassle or messy and so far for me has been dang near free of maint.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Wook
    Tubeless, no doubt about it. I run a Saguaro Geax in back and a Kenda Nevegal up front (both 29'er). No flats (knock on wood for the no-jinx here) for 6+ months around SoMo, Hawes, MMP, etc...

+1 on the Saguaro. On my rig I run the Saguaro 2.2 up front and the Geax AKA 2.2 outback. Both tubeless, love them!

Members who have read this thread: 0