parenting for gnarness

Truing stand attachments for all sorta thru axels

I have a Park bench stand, and have been happy with some old Problem Solver 20mm inserts. I now need 15 and 12mm inserts, have read about the various products but no feel for them. Any feedback esp from any bike shop folks who are pushing lots of bikes through your stands? I regularly need now 9, 12, 15 and sometimes 20. Thank you!!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

My other ride is your mom

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Do you know if the Abbey one work with boost hubs 15x110 and 12x148

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You don't need adapters. Just use the axle from the bike. Even a 20mm axle will fit in the notches in the truing stand. Don't have a 15, but do have a 12? Use that. The wheel with still be level in the stand, and when you cinch the stand on the endcaps, it won't move.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    You don't need adapters. Just use the axle from the bike. Even a 20mm axle will fit in the notches in the truing stand. Don't have a 15, but do have a 12? Use that. The wheel with still be level in the stand, and when you cinch the stand on the endcaps, it won't move.
    Logic be damned.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    You can use any sturdy rod that fits thru the axle, anything that is wider than the axle and will rest down in the V.

I use a 1/2" x 12" drill bit, then I rest it in the two V's and then tighten the axle clamp down on the outside of the axle.

parenting for gnarness
    i have tried that, but i liked the inserts a little better - i'm not a great mechanic, need good tools. Bought the Abbey tool Maad recommended for $50. Looked like a fun gadget to own.

36 styles of danger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by silentG View Post
    This^^^. Forum member as well. mtnbiker4life

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    This^^^. Forum member as well. mtnbiker4life
    like the looks of those (esp since I had the 20s), but late to the party. My Abbey tool arrived today and I am stoked on the gadgetry of it. Well worth the extra $25.

aaaaaand, does anyone want a used 10mm thru bolt and Hope hub 10mm inserts for a 9mm leg on a 100mm wide fork which also so happens to be 100mm travel? Who will pay me to post that ^^ on Stevebay?

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Do you know if the Abbey one work with boost hubs 15x110 and 12x148
    Our (Abbey) adapters work fine with Boost, our adapters and most others key off of the axle size and are not effected by axle spacing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Our (Abbey) adapters work fine with Boost, our adapters and most others key off of the axle size and are not effected by axle spacing.
    @customfab, can you give an explanation of how the Geiszler truing adapters fit into the Park TS uprights with a 142 and wider hub width? The uprights don't open wide enough to allow the outside of the tool face to sit in the "V" notches of the upright. Make sense?

Is this the correct setup?

thanks-

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the same problem with the Abbey Tool with my boost rear wheel in a Park TS 2.2, so I just use the thru-axle when truing my rear wheel. I don't really like the Abbey Tool because of that, and on my boost front wheel it takes forever to screw on and unscrew the stepped end pieces, which makes it a pain to use.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    @customfab, can you give an explanation of how the Geiszler truing adapters fit into the Park TS uprights with a 142 and wider hub width? The uprights don't open wide enough to allow the outside of the tool face to sit in the "V" notches of the upright. Make sense?

Is this the correct setup?

thanks-
    That's a good way to use them. Those stands weren't built with thru axles in mind and they don't really open wide enough for a lot of things. Thus why they have revised it to keep up with ever changing axle fitments.

Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    I have the same problem with the Abbey Tool with my boost rear wheel in a Park TS 2.2, so I just use the thru-axle when truing my rear wheel. I don't really like the Abbey Tool because of that, and on my boost front wheel it takes forever to screw on and unscrew the stepped end pieces, which makes it a pain to use.
    Screwing the adapters into the hub is a great solution when you are doing serious wheel work and the wheel is coming out of the stand to check dish and de-stress and going back in. If all you are doing is a simple true job you can put the adapters in loose, or better yet, bolt them into your truing stand and let it clamp the wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Screwing the adapters into the hub is a great solution when you are doing serious wheel work and the wheel is coming out of the stand to check dish and de-stress and going back in.
    That's the scenario I was describing. How do you use a dish tool on a wheel with the adapter still screwed in? What dish tool do you use? I just got a Park WAG-4, and it is so much sturdier than the piece of junk that I was using before that it's a joy to use. But, I'm not sure the Park tool will be able to reach far enough around the Abbey adapter and touch the end of the hub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

This picture shows the Geiszler installed with a 15x100 hub in a Park TS2.2. The tool is threaded in tight to the hub using the threaded rod that comes with it.

Iím also using a Park WAG-4 dishing tool, see pic. The other pic shows how to use the WAG-4 to dish in the stand. With the Geiszler in place, use the large flat on the outside of the tool face to set your dishing gauge.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk