mtbr member

Trouble adapting to AZ air / temps

I'm an East Coast visitor (Cape Cod) and have been in Scottsdale for 5 weeks now. Since the weather and pollen have spiked, I'm having trouble with recovering after a ride. My typical Brown's Ranch rides are 15-18 miles. I go through 2 24 oz bottles of water with Gu Brew.
    I feel great after the ride, but, the next day I'm wiped. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Unfortunately, you just have to get used to it. Some years are worse than others, I suspect this year will be worse for allergies considering the amount of rain we received this winter. But, usually, after a month or two of the intense allergies my body seems to adapt. I will agree with you, right now it's spiking and spiking quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    I usually have to suffer pretty bad allergies for a few weeks every time the season changes (either hot to cool or cool to hot, there is no middle ground). However, it usually stops affecting me as much after a week or two.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Unfortunately, you just have to get used to it. Some years are worse than others, I suspect this year will be worse for allergies considering the amount of rain we received this winter. But, usually, after a month or two of the intense allergies my body seems to adapt. I will agree with you, right now it's spiking and spiking quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    And by the time the pollen is gone, temp will be well into the 100s. Welcome to hell on earth, better known as phoenix in the summer.

mtbr member
    Load up on carbs after your ride.

Always in the wrong gear
    Serious question:
    How much water are you drinking when you're not riding? Are you replacing electrolytes?
    At the peak of summer I drink about 3/4 to 1 gal of fluid per day as 'regular intake' (counting my morning coffee) and make sure I get some salt. Carbs usually have sodium.
    That 'wiped out' feeling you're describing sounds just like chronic dehydration and sodium/potassium loss.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    if you are not doing it.. try to mix in salty foods during and after the ride (next day too)... you can never consume too much salt when sweating out so much here in arizona...

its a good excuse to eat french fries, nuts, and chips... in fact put salt on everything... your breakfast, salad, chili, pizza...

for some reason, and I dont know why... but potato chips seem to be my best electrolyte replenishment source... they have saved me on a few long 6+ hour ride..

mtbr member
    Some good tips. In my health food mind, I've resisted fries and chips. Now that I'm in AZ , I'll do a 180.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    chips are better than fries.. if you are worried about keeping you weight down..

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    i took a short post work ride in up here in the junipers yesterday, and came home with a fever from allergies. I still can't breathe out of my nose.

it is total suffering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Getting used to the Humidity here took 6 months when I moved from CA. these days we see humidity around 20% late in the day and before the end of June we will see it down under 10% regularly. In Phoenix, you are always sweating you just don't notice it because it evaporates so quickly. The rule I have for all visitors is always have a water bottle in your hand unless your riding... drinking beer... or ????

Elitest thrill junkie
    Protein 30-45 minutes after you ride, no longer, so your body can rebuild and not feel wiped the next day. The hotter the temps, the more your sweat and drink, the more salts become important. Stay away from gatorade. There are good electrolyte mixes these days as well as salt-tabs that can help significantly. Stay away from heavy meals before riding and make sure you have a good 2hrs or so before you ride for your meal to digest. Try to eat every 30-45 minutes while riding to keep glucose up (not a lot, just a bite or two). Now to the crazy, in Prescott when it was ~95 or more, I could blow through 100oz/hr in some conditions. Salts became pretty critical at those rates obviously. The heavier you are, the more water you need, so that also somewhat drives it. At some point you are going to have to compromise your rides in terms of times and length, to deal with the temperature rising.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.