Triple Treat - Double Redone- Mtbr.com
    Salty Dog

New question here. Triple Treat - Double Redone

Ok,

So yesterday, Tuesday, five of us started out to do the Dreaded Double. One had to drop off at the Sunrise summit to go home and take care of business, the other dropped off after the second pass descent to go home and take care of kid stuff.

Two visitors, Craig from Utah, and his brother Tim, from Idaho, hooked up with Dan, Jean-Michel and myself for the start from 124th Street. Up Lost Dog, then Ringtail and connected up and over Sunrise. From there through Hidden Hills and over to the Golden Eagle rest area. I guess the building there is a sales office for the development. We arrived and went over the little bridge then onto the sidewalk in front and around to the parking lot. A lady, who apparently is a sales person or something important, told one of us that the sidewalks are NOT public and to get off them. Ugh... Anyway, we had a short break and then took off.

From Dixie Mine trail we went to Thompson Peak trail and then the fire road up to the unmarked trail. City of Scottsdale still has their 'closed due to fire danger' sign posted from two years ago. Go figure.

Anyway, up the unmarked connector trail to one that connects with Windgate Pass. Up and over the pass, then used the Gateway Loop over to Paradise Trail. Down Paradise to Natural Wash (aka Quartz), then up to Taliesin, over Lost Dog Wash back to the parking lot.

About 25 miles and almost 5K feet of climbing on the day. Tired legs and sore arses at the end, soothed by recently brewed mineral water.

So, now we are wondering if and when the Triple Treat is going to happen, and how it will be accomplished.

Thoughts and ideas?
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    So, now we are wondering if and when the Triple Treat is going to happen, and how it will be accomplished.

Thoughts and ideas?
    Nice ride, Tommy...I need to do my "make up" ride for mechanical-ing out of the last group Double.

So re the Triple...yes, we need to do it and it will happen. The questions are what route and when:
    • Route: I am in favor of a Quadruple as follows: up Windgate (first), down the backside and over to Bell (second), down Bell, over Paradise to Quartz/Lost Dog, etc., up and over Sunrise (third), over to Golden Eagle and Dixie Mine, up to Windgate (fourth), down Windgate and back to the cars. This is the only way to do a continuous ride with a minimum of repeating a section or doing an out and back on a section.
    • We COULD do a Triple by doing the Double route, then ducking up to Bell Pass to add a "bypass", then turn around and go back down to the east and over to Windgate, then finishing as per usual. That would be a Triple, but seems a bit too contrived.
    • When: I'm in favor of January sometime. December is a bit hard (for me at least) due to family stuff, parties, etc. Just alot of people have alot going on. And January would be a good checkpoint before 24HITOP.

What do you think?
    Ride more; post less...

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Ok, I know it's off topic a little and I don't want to steal the thread and I apologize, but can someone give me their directions for this double bipass. I read up above but got a bit lost in subdivisions etc. With 5k of climbing and 25 miles of riding this ride sounds perfect to train a bit for the Whiskey Off-road.

Sorry about the slight OT and thanks for any help. To make it easier you can just PM with any directions you might have.

Not a Barry supporter.
    I second January.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Salty Dog

January - seems to work

Walt,

As long as we do it on Sunday, the 7th, 21st, or 28 work for me. Saturdays are already full, and I'm in Chicago the 14th/15th.

The 21st would be my choice, however.

Tommy

And January would be a good checkpoint before 24HITOP.[/LIST]
    What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Salty Dog

It's not an easy place to find...

Guero,

I agree completely. It's a bear to find your way around the whole trail unless you've spent copious amounts of time riding both sides of the McDowells. Generally speaking It's using the entire McDowell Sonoran Conservancy on the west side of the McDowells, and the Fountain Hills Preserve on the east side, from Sunrise Mountain on the south to Windgate Pass on the north. I will try to get the GPS track from Craig and post it here. Should make a whole lot more sense that way.

Yes, it should be a great trainer for Whiskey, and many others.

Tommy

can someone give me their directions for this double bipass. I read up above but got a bit lost in subdivisions etc. With 5k of climbing and 25 miles of riding this ride sounds perfect to train a bit for the Whiskey Off-road.

Sorry about the slight OT and thanks for any help. To make it easier you can just PM with any directions you might have.[/QUOTE]

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Thanks Salty Dog.

Steep Hill

January!

Sounds like another great ride Tommy. I'll be in the marathon so any weekend other than Jan 14-15 will work for me.
    ** Obey gravity. It's the law. **

I'll definitly drag myself down south for this one.

Tdub
    Oh man, I feel like whining about this because triple and quadruple just sound sooooo loooooong. Anyways, yes January would be better than the next 3 weeks of schedule hell. I want to finally commit and do this ride, so unless skiing gets in the way, I'm in.
    "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"-Vincent Van Gogh

NardoSS
    With the holidays and all, the last weekend of January would be perfect for a triple or quad for me. Dang, that quad would make for a loooooong day, but it's worth it just to know I've done it already.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    A lady, who apparently is a sales person or something important, told one of us that the sidewalks are NOT public and to get off them. Ugh...
    Nice ride.

That area of Fountain Hills is acting pretty snobby. Ridiculous. Here's their current public trail: hit "community map" tab
    http://www.eaglesnestliving.com/

Originally, their map allowed the public trail to also come from the gate at the end of Hidden Hills -- hope they have not changed their mind permanently. When I used to live in Hidden Hills, the homeowners and SunCor (developer) agreed to allow Scottsdale to designate 145th way as a public trail so that mountain bikers and hikers could come off the Sunrise trailhead and head toward Fountain Hills through Eagles' Nest.

I would hope that as long as we don't annoy the developer or homeowners there, they will follow Hidden Hills lead and continue to allow access through, whether officially or not. Let's keep a low profile through there or else our Double Bypass and Triple Treat runs are in jeopardy. For those not familiar with the area, everything from the Sunrise trailhead (including the trailhead itself) to the Golden Eagle rest point is private property (not owned by the state, county, city, national forest, or a land trust -- unlike the rest of the route).

parenting for gnarness
    Hello,
    the route you guys are describing sounds awesome for a training ride. I would love to hook up. I am an all-around solid rider and have done several of the Epic rides, pretty sure I could keep up. I have done McDowell loops and Pemberton, but not familiar with the Scottsdale side of the mtns you describe. Please let me know if you would allow another with good spirit and solid skills to join in. Thank you.
    Jason

I am Walt

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Let's pick a date for this...

Jason - thanks for refreshing this thread. We do need to pick a date for January.

I propose Saturday, Jan. 20th, or the following weekend, Sat. or Sun., the 27th or 28th. (For you football fans - which is me - the conference championship games are the 21st, so we won't miss any football). This would also fit well into your training schedule for Old Pueblo, which is Feb. 17 and 18, and is also after the PF Chang's Rock n Roll Marathon/Half Marathon, if you're doing that.

I'll post a poll for this...
    Ride more; post less...

NardoSS
    Does anyone have the route on Google earth or yahoo maps for the double or triple please?

Members who have read this thread: 0