Triangle and Rim Straighten- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Triangle and Rim Straighten

from kelstr on Vimeo.

This has some playing around in it ...alittle crashing and it shows one way to repair dented Rims

"No Clue Crew"
    bad ass!!!!

Let the bikes in!
    wtff was rob bleeding already before that? Or is that spot on the rock always bloody?

EDR
    That's one kick-arse edited video. I love the 'UP' at the triangle. I can't seem to navigate that yet.

Dude! You obviously have worked with your hands for a long time. They remind me of my buddies father who was a heavy equipment mechanic for 30 years, haha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Triangle and Rim Straighten-screenhunter_02-aug.-16-20.12.gif  

mtbr member
    I want that kind of shop space! Lucky bastard...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Very cool. Nice shop.

Something about the sounds of working in a garage... simple, but gotta love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by R2ana View Post
    wtff was rob bleeding already before that? Or is that spot on the rock always bloody?
    I noticed that there was alot of blood everywhere ( even where I thought there should not have been blood , I assumed somebody else left it before him ?) ........Rob has only been pedaling for afew months and I have been nagging him to get armor , he finally got some knee pads but he has not got elbows pads yet , ......I think he will shortly tho...I hope !

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    bad ass!!!!
    Old Rob was trying his heart out to get up that bad boy, .......whats funny is the first time he ever hit it he went right up and through it whithout thinking about it , now that its in his head its a different story

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    That's one kick-arse edited video. I love the 'UP' at the triangle. I can't seem to navigate that yet.

Dude! You obviously have worked with your hands for a long time. They remind me of my buddies father who was a heavy equipment mechanic for 30 years, haha.
    Yes the old machining , welding, bending wrenches and changing white hot machine gun barrels along with all the petrochemical contamination has really taken its tole on my poor little body over that last 45 years of work , I always thought I would be a millionaire by now and have girls that would actually talk to me instead of just use and abuse me ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I want that kind of shop space! Lucky bastard...
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Very cool. Nice shop.

Something about the sounds of working in a garage... simple, but gotta love it.
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Back in the 50's and 60's everybody had work shops on there properties with welders,lathes,mills,hoists,

I am just a glutton for punishment and don't know any different .........and it really sucks when you have to move or reorganize the shop .....everything weighs 6 tons at least .

No Clue Crew
    I kinda thought that's about how you were talking about fixing dents. Seems simple.

DNA has my bike "as good as it's gonna get" so I'll ride it until I find some wheels. Still undecided if I want a cheaper set of NEW wheels (Outlaws) or a better set of USED wheels (823s on pinkbike) at roughly the same price. My luck I'd get the used 823s that are destroyed.

Nice cleaning that triangle. Jerk. I just made another video of Drew and I working on the triangle and that section that destroyed my wheel today. Should be up in a little while...

That a big Dane you've got? I've got one myself although she's a petite thing at around 100 lbs. Love the big dogs! If you can't wrestle with them I've got little use for them.

It was good riding with you today. I'd like to learn a few things from you but you're always too far ahead of us to watch you

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I kinda thought that's about how you were talking about fixing dents. Seems simple.

DNA has my bike "as good as it's gonna get" so I'll ride it until I find some wheels. Still undecided if I want a cheaper set of NEW wheels (Outlaws) or a better set of USED wheels (823s on pinkbike) at roughly the same price. My luck I'd get the used 823s that are destroyed.

Nice cleaning that triangle. Jerk. I just made another video of Drew and I working on the triangle and that section that destroyed my wheel today. Should be up in a little while...

That a big Dane you've got? I've got one myself although she's a petite thing at around 100 lbs. Love the big dogs! If you can't wrestle with them I've got little use for them.

It was good riding with you today. I'd like to learn a few things from you but you're always too far ahead of us to watch you
    I was tired and week on the ride today, I want to start using that new line you and Drew showed me , that thing is awesome going up and down.

You really want good hubs , it does not matter what rim and spokes are on them ....you can straighten and re-bend and replace rims and spokes as needed , a light set of DT's or I9's with good bearings and a very strong quick engagement freewheel hub is what I like .

I just love dogs, that blue dog in the video is "Bella" a little "Neapolitan Mastiff " , I have another one named "Louie" and his color is tawny , They are so funny ......( accept they eat the whole house )

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    I just love dogs, that blue dog in the video is "Bella" a little "Neapolitan Mastiff " , I have another one named "Louie" and his color is tawny , They are so funny ......( accept they eat the whole house )
    I like dogs more than I like most people I could tell it was something in the mastiff family but sitting down I couldn't tell if it was dane or mastiff. And you've got TWO? That's a whole lotta dog for any house

No Clue Crew
    Hey Kelly,

What are the blocks you use in your vice to straighten out the rim? I was gonna try this with a little dent in my Outlaws yesterday but couldn't figure out how to get it done properly. Had to rewatch your video today

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Hey Kelly,

What are the blocks you use in your vice to straighten out the rim? I was gonna try this with a little dent in my Outlaws yesterday but couldn't figure out how to get it done properly. Had to rewatch your video today
    Hey Mike , they are just some scrap aluminum that I had , I cut and made them 1" x 1" 3" long and just use them in the vice like "soft jaws" .......I drilled and glued a magnet into each one so they would stay in the jaw until I clamped on something but I have dropped then so many times that I lost one magnet out of one of them , ....so really just as long as you use some soft aluminum to protect the soft rim you are ok, the steel bare vice jaw would be alittle harsh on the soft bicycle rim.

The rims are really easy to straighten , .......They make some really nice "soft jaws" that are copper or aluminum.....they are thin and they are easy to bend and form to any vice jaw ,..."Enco" and or "MSC" or" McMaster Carr" has these "Soft Jaws" and they are cheep.

I just kill them with the heavier work I do , but they would be perfect for Bicycle work

Or you could stop by my shop and we could find you some scrap you could have if need be !

dirt visionary
    Nice vid..

I like this tool for minor repair although I haven't damaged a wheel in a while .

Rim 'Rench / Morningstar Tools
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    Nice vid..

I like this tool for minor repair although I haven't damaged a wheel in a while .

Rim 'Rench / Morningstar Tools
    I do like that tool , it works ok on the really soft rims that are not dented to badly , I had to make a tool that was wider than that to try and help small dents in the really hard stiff rims , but ultimately I would always end up finishing off using my vice to get the shape really corrected and get all the waves out .

mtbr member
    haha! love it!