Trek/GF Demo day at Fantasy Island- Mtbr.com
    All That is Man

Trek/GF Demo day at Fantasy Island

Just was curious to see what the turnout might be like out there. The Pheonix on this last weekend was fairly popular (and a lot of fun). Also, they like us to only spend 1/2 an hour or so on the bikes, so what route could we take in FI that would only take 1/2 an hour (for those of us who aren't Superman). Is there a weenie shortcut on Lone Cactus somewhere?
    John

Tucson, AZ
    I think you could bail down one of dirt roads on Lone Cactus and either go back on LC or cruise down the fence on the west side. Check out this map.

mtbr member
    What's up John! I would agree with ^^^ that you may have to bail out and take the fence line back to GO.
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

All That is Man
    You guys planning to make it? You should. Trust me, it's worth the trouble just for the Trek EX9.5 I still can't believe how fast that bike is. FlintPaper can vouch for that too! I want to get on a Hi-Fi this time around as well as ride the EX9.5 again.
    John

eat your porridge jordie
    When is it? Sounds like it'd be a lot of fun.
    "If you want to do something ordinary people can't, you have to be willing to do what ordinary people won't"

All That is Man
    This Sunday at 9am. http://www.ridethebesttour.com/regio...on_id=6&type=7 See, now I'm sorry I posted. I don't want anyone to go since I want to hog that bike all to myself all day
    John

mtbr member
    Sounds tasty. I will have to check it out and compare to my Stumpy.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

A plethora of pinatas
    I highly recommend that you give one of the Fuel EX's a try! But, riders beware - do not ride one unless you have a few grand to spend because you will fall in love with this bike.

I rode one last weekend and it was the best bike I have ridden so far. I think there is a lot of truth to all the hype.
    Marty

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by chadfbrown
    Check out thismap.

Is this map right? Last time I was there I recalled some bunny trail or rabbit something or another?
    07 GF Rig

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Bunny trail is on south end of Fantasy Island. It lets out closer to Valencia. If they are doing the stuff at main parking lot bunny trail is too far away. I have an 06 Trek remedy 5, totally love the bike but the new fuels have me totally drooling. Am so willing to drop 2400 for a new fuel. Though the 29 hi fi is a tight, tight bike. Have seen a few in Tucson and a little cheaper.

All That is Man
    The msrp on the EX9.5 is like $6200 though So for me, it's all just a tease. The EX7 looks decent and more affordable to me but they didn't have a men's EX7. I just wonder if it would hold a candle tot he awesomeness of the 9.5.

Also, the bunny trail would be out of the question for trying a bike from the north entrance since it's not only 3-4 miles into lone cactus, it's an added 6 miles of totally flat trail. It would take too long.
    John

mtbr member
    I'm seriously considering coming down to compare the EX 9.5 (carbon - $6200) to the (aluminum - $3400) EX 9. The EX 9.5 blew me away, but I can't see spending 6200 bucks on a bike, no matter how nice. If the aluminum EX's ride as well as the carbon ones, I think I know what my next purchase will be.

I was also surprised that my first ride on a Fisher G2 geometry 29er was very disappointing. The ride on my inbred was far better (for me).

mtbr member
    Looks like fun, but I'll be out doing some trail work that day.
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Signal
    Also, the bunny trail would be out of the question for trying a bike from the north entrance since it's not only 3-4 miles into lone cactus, it's an added 6 miles of totally flat trail. It would take too long.

I'm not saying anything about the bunny trail other than it appeared to me that the map was incorrect/incomplete. I don't really know the trail, only rode there once, other than the monster bull that scared me on a blind corner the trails were awesome.
    07 GF Rig

All That is Man
    FYI though . . . on that map above, the bunny trail is the Valencia Loop as labeled there.
    John

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by FlintPaper
    I'm seriously considering coming down to compare the EX 9.5 (carbon - $6200) to the (aluminum - $3400) EX 9. The EX 9.5 blew me away, but I can't see spending 6200 bucks on a bike, no matter how nice. If the aluminum EX's ride as well as the carbon ones, I think I know what my next purchase will be.

I was also surprised that my first ride on a Fisher G2 geometry 29er was very disappointing. The ride on my inbred was far better (for me).
    I have been riding a Top Fuel 100 for a few years and I demo'd the Fuel EX9 last weekend. I did not notice the aluminum at all! Depending on the componets you want, I would consider the EX8 or 9. I am thinking of going with the EX8 (MSRP $2,199) and maybe upgrading componets down the road if needed.
    Marty

mtbr member
    @mcolea:

Thats a good point on the ex8 vs ex9. I don't think I would want (to pay for) the features of the TALAS.

Once I can get a ride on any of the Al EX's, I should know how much I want to spend. I might even be willing to go for the low end of the line. I already have most of the parts I would want to swap over. Why buy a TALAS when I have a Pike to put on it?

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydean012
    When is it? Sounds like it'd be a lot of fun.
    Welcome back jimmydean.... I have not see you post here for some time.

Tucson, AZ
    I think that is updated. I was in college when I first started riding Fantasy and have not been out since.

mtbr member
    Oh, I didn't notice that they only had the carbon model. I've heard how amazing the carbon Enduro SL and Stumpy FSR bikes are, but I have no interest in them right now either. I was just hoping to compare like-for-like with an aluminum model (the EX9 is similar to my Stumpy FSR especially with the TALAS). Bummer.

mtbr member
    They did have some non-carbon Fuel EX's at Mcdowell Mtn.

One was a WSD model EX 8 and I think there was another, Mens, EX 8 that was constantly on the trails every time we were ready to pick up a new bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Mountain Bike Action did a review on the 9 and it was glowing. They did the 9 over the carbon because of a lot of the reasons mentioned so far. I am excited to try a fuel out. I was going to buy a fuel last year but was really disappointed in how it rode. I went for the Remedy instead, just the remedy is not all that great with XC.
    Heard the same about the Hi fi 29er but just interested in it. I am kind of in the market for a geared 29er as opposed to a SS 29er. Though if I really like a fuel I will drop that idea and get a fuel. Rather have the 8 just due to affordability.

mtbr member
    The Fuel EX is interesting to me if it retains all the activity and plushness of my beloved Horst Link bike, while doing away with squat under high chain loads. However, the cost isn't much better, or different, than the Stumpjumper FSR models for the most part. Specialized did screw up the static and effective seat geometry on the 08 (at least to me and others that have ridden it locally) so this could be a viable option to the Trance X which stiffens under higher chain loads in order to lock it out.

All That is Man
    You know I didn't notice any bob or squatting under power when I rode it even though they had the shock setup WAY too soft (for me). The tech set it up for a 165lb buddy of ours and I'm 225-230 with gear and it still rode incredibly well considering. I had some problems with pedal strike since my dead weight caused like 50% sag It does have the Fox RP23 with the Propedal though.

As for a HT 29er, I personally really liked the GF Paragon. It was decently fast and the handling was a lot better than my current bike. It was kind of wheelie happy though. Ryan didn't care for the G2 geometry at all.
    John

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Zero--- if you come down there are 2 spots where you can get off lone cactus and get back onto the dirt road that goes back to the fence for DMAFB. The GF 2 geo might be better suited for Fantasy than SO Mountain. I do love the GF geometry, first MB was a GF Tassajara. I am just more interested in the 8 and how it handles. I have no issues with the SPV that Manitou has on the Remedys and want to compare to FOX.

mtbr member
    Here's a question for you John, how would you compare the ride on the Paragon to the Inbred?

The Paragon wasn't bad, it just doesn't hold a candle to the Inbred, IMHO.

Much the way the Yakuza doesn't hold a candle to the Fuel EX 9.5.

All That is Man
    I still didn't track quite as solidly as the Inbred and of course it was heavier than the Inbred too. Of course it was smoother being a HT and all, but for the smaller intricacies, I would have to do a back to back comparison to really know. Don't forget I've only done the one run at T100 with you on the Inbred so I don't remember all of it. I would have to take it out again to see (grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more!)
    John

All That is Man
    @fletchfighters - I live next door to FI, so I might do a ride before work tomorrow morning to scope out the best spot to turn around and maybe tie an orange flag or something to mark where to take the shortcut. Or should I not bother? I'd like to get a bunch of demos in, but it will be tough if everybody does the whole loop. Maybe I'm just greedy.
    John

mtbr member
    So how did this turn out?

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Yikes................ The fuel rocked!!!!!!!! Already debating on getting a fuel 8. Was a smooth ride. That was the only bike I was interested in and it was worth riding for a 30 minute period

Members who have read this thread: 0