TREK BICYCLES 12 & 24 HOURS OF FURY - Nov 5th- Mtbr.com
    A plethora of pinatas

TREK BICYCLES 12 & 24 HOURS OF FURY - Nov 5th

Who is in for this year's Fury?

They are giving a lot of prize $ away this year for the 24 hour categories. I am being a whimp and just doing the 12 hr this year.

4 Peaks Racing - TREK BICYCLES 12 & 24 HOURS OF FURY
    Presented by Carlos OBriens
    $10,000 IN CASH & PRIZES

PRIZES
    Money will be dispersed amongst the following 24 Hour categories.

Male solo
    1st = $500
    2nd = $300
    3rd = $200

Female solo
    1st = $500
    2nd = $300
    3rd = $200

Male solo singlespeed
    1st = $500
    2nd = $300
    3rd = $200

Duo male
    1st = Two Baja Design lights + free entry to 2012
    2nd = Two Geoman lights + 1/2 off entry to 2012
    3rd = Two Geoman lights + 1/3 off entry to 2012

Duo coed
    1st = Two Baja Design lights + free entry to 2012
    2nd = Two Geoman lights + 1/2 off entry to 2012
    3rd = Two Geoman lights + 1/3 off entry to 2012

Quad male
    1st = $500 + free entry to 2012
    2nd = $300 + 1/2 off entry to 2012
    3rd = $200 + 1/3 off entry to 2012

Quad coed
    1st = $500 + free entry to 2012
    2nd = $300 + 1/2 off entry to 2012
    3rd = $200 + 1/3 off entry to 2012
    Marty

Need more cowbell
    I'm in a 12hr. quad.

mtbr member
    I'm setting up my crew of 4 and shooting for a better result than last year.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I'm in for a hurtin....24 hour solo SS.

I'll have extra beer and aspirin in my tent.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

Speed996
    In a 5-coed. My favorite race of the year

Always a good day to ride
    Great event that seems to get better each year.

We are in for the 24 hr duo and hoping to take home a set of the lights!

mtbr member
    I am in, 24 hour 4 girl quad team I am looking forward to this race!

Tucson, AZ
    Fury is right. Wish I could, but I am riding the BCT with a big group of strangers and drinking some beer, possibly even BBQing that day

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anybody up for a quad? 2 of us up here in flag need a team. We have a couple 12 hour events under our belt and want to get our feet wet in 24. Let me know!

-Adam

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Duo !2

Signed up for Duo 12Hr.

Are they going to have any prizes for 12Hr race?

A plethora of pinatas
    They just added this to the list of goodies....

In addition to $10,000 in cash and prizes we also have a 2012 Trek Superfly AL to raffle. All participants will be eligible but you must be present to win.
    Marty

A plethora of pinatas
    Rumor has it that a legend of the sport will be racing next week at the Fury!

Stay tuned for more info.
    Marty

A plethora of pinatas
    IT IS OFFICIAL!

Tinker Juarez will be racing the Fury in the 24 Solo Category.
    Marty

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea View Post
    IT IS OFFICIAL!

Tinker Juarez will be racing the Fury in the 24 Solo Category.

Very cool!

rdub
    Quote Originally Posted by hippyfoot View Post
    Anybody up for a quad? 2 of us up here in flag need a team. We have a couple 12 hour events under our belt and want to get our feet wet in 24. Let me know!

-Adam

Adam, do you still need another body? I am already signed up in a quad but a buddy is interested in joining a group.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Looks like we might get rained on Sat????

Should be fun!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdss View Post
    Looks like we might get rained on Sat????

Should be fun!!!
    There was any question....?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    There was any question....?

I will have the land yacht out there if you wanna come by the camp.

It could be a whole lot worse, at least it is not going to be 99 degrees out there this weekend. Rain gear & cold weather clothes packed.

It is cool that Tinker will be there. I love getting passed by that guy!

mtbr member
    No one wants to post stories about the event? Dying to know how Tinker managed 33 laps. I wish I could have been there.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphoenix View Post
    No one wants to post stories about the event? Dying to know how Tinker managed 33 laps. I wish I could have been there.

So why did I do a solo 24 hour mountain bike race? Well, I know it's cliché, but I did it just to see if I could. I'm relatively new to the endurance mountain bike scene, but I've heard of many of these races in which a competitor rides around a set course of about 5-10 miles and the one who completes the most laps in 24 hours wins. The competitor can rest and sleep whenever she wants, but the time does not stop.

Being that it was my first 24 hour race, I was not sure what to expect. About a week and half out, I really had no plan. I was not so much concerned with my physical ability to complete the race since I've completed many 24 hour adventure races consisting of mountain biking, kayaking, and trekking. I was not even worried about staying awake the entire time. My true fear was my mental strength. Could I keep myself motivated to continue riding the same brutal course lap after lap, so many times?

That's when "Super" Mario Correa came in handy. Mario is an incredible mountain biker and a highly achieved endurance rider, as well as my friend. So when I called him frantically asking how I should be preparing for this race, he quickly began coaching me. He gave me guidelines for my physical and mental preparation for the week before the race and a nutritional guide and support crew info for during the race. He also scheduled himself to be there to assist me. Without the advice and mental support from Mario, I would have gone in to the race blind.

So the most important thing I learned about preparing for a 24 hour mountain bike race is that I must always have a plan; a pre-race and a race day plan. Execution is key, so I must be sure that my support crew keeps me as close to that plan as possible. And of course, I must plan for success!

My goal for this race was to ride my best and finish as well as I could no matter what the other girls did. I mean, don't get me wrong, I was well aware that my biggest competition, Mary Huth, would be racing and that she was a talented and strong rider. But my goal was to do my best whether it meant first place or last place. I even told my crew not to tell me how my competition was doing. But as the race progressed and I grew tired, I sought that info so that I could calculate my break times accordingly and still remain competitive.

Competing solo in a 24 hour mountain bike race is very different from my usual four person team adventure races. In a 24 hour adventure race, I am always moving with my teammates. I can depend on the guys to physically and mentally pull me through my difficult times on the course. I can always look forward to a new discipline. When my back and bottom start hurting on the bike, I know that soon I will change to trekking or kayaking. And usually I can look forward to moving faster so that our team can finish the race in less than 24 hours.

On the other hand, in a 24 hour mountain bike race I must keep myself motivated. I can not reach for a tow from one of the guys when I get too tired to climb a hill. I can not chat with my teammates about the meaning of life to keep my mind off the pain. I can not look forward to moving from the bike to the kayak. And I know that no matter how fast I ride, I will still have to go for 24 hours.

A plethora of pinatas
    It was an outstanding event! Tinker did win the 24 Solo with 25 laps. The 4 Man Open Team, Jetset Green, won with 33 laps and the 2nd place team, AZ Devo/Bicycle Ranch, also did 33 laps only 8 minutes behind them.

Here is a pic of the start of the 24 hr event with Ty getting the holeshot...

Last edited by mcoplea; 11-08-2011 at 12:48 PM.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was on a 4-girl team this year. It was my first time back since my car vs. bike accident in Aug 2010 and then having my perfect happy baby girl six months ago. I went in to have fun, and fun was had.

We had a bunch of fast girls on our team. And our all girls team did 21 laps and we placed 2nd in the co-ed division. We gave 1st place a run for their money for a good 12 hours. But at the end, they were 2 laps ahead. But considering they were a team of 3 guys and 1 girl, I think our results were pretty darn good!

Oh and night laps suck. But yah, thats 24 hour racing..

Tiff

poser Administrator
    I went to this to support my wife and her 2 woman 12hr duo team and was shocked by how low key it was. We were right on the finish stretch and there would be times that minutes passed before someone came down it.

Being used to the 24hr ITOP where there is something like 24 riders per mile I was astonished at how few people came out, especially considering how close it is to a major metropolitan center it is.

Looked like fun but alas I was on baby sitting duty and spent all my time keeping the little ones (a little girl dressed in pink and a little boy with a cow bell if you saw them) out of the racing track. I would definitely do this again as the short fast laps are appealing as is the chip system vs. the check in tent at the ITOP.

Congrats to all the survived the torrential windstorm friday night and the rain and the chilly laps.

Oh and tinker, WTF? Could that guy be any faster?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Shift less, Pedal more.
    JetSet Green might have won, but team AZDevo/Bicycle Ranch sure does beat them in class, manners, and race ethics.

I figured since team JetSet were the older ones, that they would act like adults, but watching the way these arrogant b@stards passed people and cut corners was ridiculous. Even yelling at people when they didn't get out of "their" way quickly enough.

Props to AZDevo/Bicycle Ranch. Way to represent mountain biking and to all the hard work you guys put in. Go get some Nationals!!!!!

Team JetSet, you suck!!!! Go read your magazine about affluent living.....jerks....

mtbr member
    JetSet Green might have won, but team AZDevo/Bicycle Ranch sure does beat them in class, manners, and race ethics.

I figured since team JetSet were the older ones, that they would act like adults, but watching the way these arrogant b@stards passed people and cut corners was ridiculous. Even yelling at people when they didn't get out of "their" way quickly enough.

Props to AZDevo/Bicycle Ranch. Way to represent mountain biking and to all the hard work you guys put in. Go get some Nationals!!!!!

Team JetSet, you suck!!!! Go read your magazine about affluent living.....jerks....
    F-ing 1-percenters!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey Jonathon,

I am the one that put the Jetset team together and anyone who knows me and the people on my team will disagree with your derogatory comments about our race ethics. First of all, 2 of the team members on AZDevo were former riders for team Adrenaline (my former team) and we have done several 24hour events together in the past. I personally make sure to call out every pass and either say thanks or apologize if the pass is not perfectly clean. Regarding the personal shots>>> I will discuss this with you at the next race.

rdub
    Our male 24 hour team posted times good enough for 6th which in years past would have been good enough for a top 3 finish. But this year the course was stacked!!! Jetset - I didn't seen anything rude from your team (or any other for that matter). Unless rude is passing me at 5:00 a.m. like you're as fresh as you were 18 hours prior. I guess that's kinda rude. Actually yes, that is rude. I'm smoked, you're fresh. Rude!

how much for your sister
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidss View Post
    Hey Jonathon,

I am the one that put the Jetset team together and anyone who knows me and the people on my team will disagree with your derogatory comments about our race ethics. First of all, 2 of the team members on AZDevo were former riders for team Adrenaline (my former team) and we have done several 24hour events together in the past. I personally make sure to call out every pass and either say thanks or apologize if the pass is not perfectly clean. Regarding the personal shots>>> I will discuss this with you at the next race.
    People refuse to accept that first and foremost it's a race. The reality is some people are going to be going very fast and people will be startled when they get passed even if someone calls out "passing". If they want smiles and pleasantries I'm sure there's plenty to go around. Folks, It's a race and some people do really race.

Congrats on the 1st place.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bird, you have no idea who you are referring to when you say "you suck". The guys on that team happen to be some of the most generous, humble and nicest guys you will ever race with. I think you owe them an apology. Shame on you for slandering them like you have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the support guys>>On that note>>> This years race was one of the funnest 24s I've done in while. Thanks to AZDevo and Just a Bunch of Juniors for keeping the pressure on the entire time. Looking forward to a solid rematch next year with all the teams as the whole field was stacked this year.

See you at the races... D

rdub
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnio View Post
    People refuse to accept that first and foremost it's a race. The reality is some people are going to be going very fast and people will be startled when they get passed even if someone calls out "passing". If they want smiles and pleasantries I'm sure there's plenty to go around. Folks, It's a race and some people do really race.

Congrats on the 1st place.
    Well put

Go go gadget bike!
    It seemed like a great time was had by all! This was my first attempt at 24 solo and I am pretty sure I made every rookie mistake in the book.... I am still feelin pretty good about 8 laps with a 30lb 5.7" travel trail bike!

It doesn't surprise me at all that Tyler managed to get that hole shot. By the time I reached that point there might have only been two riders behind me and by my second lap I was getting passed by groups of bad@$$es! I never encountered a rude passer but I always made sure to move over and wave them on so who knows...

Congrats to everybody that went out there. Now who's going solo in the Old Pueblo with me?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TREK BICYCLES 12 & 24 HOURS OF FURY - Nov 5th-2011-11-05_08-06-05_634.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice work rigid, wished my team would have panned out so we could have put some pressure on as well.

And speaking as someone who races every now and then and tends to ride at an ok pace, as far as passing goes racing is RACING. Verbal abuse and running someone off the trail are pretty clear no noes but not every pass will go perfectly and good decisions won't always be made when your pushing your self to the limit. Racing like life sometimes isn't fair but that's the way it is.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Damn, guess I was wrong. I must have witnessed these things under the mirages of the Phoenix desert.

So it a race, Elbows and Knees!!!! Really, running someone off trail cause you're racing is, cool?

Apparently I don't know what I'm talking about, maybe I'm just jealous.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Regarding the personal shots>>> I will discuss this with you at the next race.
    I'm there. The luxury JetSet land yacht won't be hard to find.

F-ing 1-percenters!!!!!!!!!!!

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Quote Originally Posted by ripp-ripper View Post
    Bird, you have no idea who you are referring to when you say "you suck". The guys on that team happen to be some of the most generous, humble and nicest guys you will ever race with. I think you owe them an apology. Shame on you for slandering them like you have.
    I apologizes team JetSet.

Shift less, Pedal more.

Oh yeah and about the 1 percenters

From a website about JetSet....must be nice.....

In the past year, Jetset audiences have collectively spent:

$1.7 billion on automobiles
    $1.4 billion on home furnishings
    $625 million on consumer electronics
    $323 million on fine art and collectibles
    $361 million on hotels and resorts
    $609 million on watches and jewelry
    $762 million on women's fashion
    $467 million on men's fashion

Reach Your Audience
    When your targeted demographic consists of only 1% of consumers who control more than 50% of the world's wealth, how do you reach them? Jetset Magazine connects with the ultra wealthy where they travel: on private jets, chartered planes, and luxury watercrafts. We take the guessing game out of where your customers are. In fact, the National Business Aviation Association estimates that private jet travelers make 41 trips each year. On each trip, your advertisement is positioned to capture readers and buyers.

Link Jetset Magazine

mtbr member
    From a website about JetSet....must be nice.....

In the past year, Jetset audiences have collectively spent:

$1.7 billion on automobiles
    $1.4 billion on home furnishings
    $625 million on consumer electronics
    $323 million on fine art and collectibles
    $361 million on hotels and resorts
    $609 million on watches and jewelry
    $762 million on women's fashion
    $467 million on men's fashion

Reach Your Audience
    When your targeted demographic consists of only 1% of consumers who control more than 50% of the world's wealth, how do you reach them? Jetset Magazine connects with the ultra wealthy where they travel: on private jets, chartered planes, and luxury watercrafts. We take the guessing game out of where your customers are. In fact, the National Business Aviation Association estimates that private jet travelers make 41 trips each year. On each trip, your advertisement is positioned to capture readers and buyers.

Link Jetset Magazine
    Dude, I was joking. Go Occupy Your Bike Seat.

Need more cowbell
    Dude, I was joking. Go Occupy Your Bike Seat.
    Awesome.....

Need more cowbell
    I have a question.

How do you know it was the Jetset Team? That team was one of the many teams we (Green Choice) had out there. Actually, I think only one of the Jetset riders was wearing the green kit.....

So...if you are going strictly on the kit alone....it could have been me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This is true and that one rider would be me.

mtbr member
    Whoa.....I had no idea that you jetset/greenchoice dudes were 1%ers......not only are you getting rich off of our backs you're also making rude passes! Bastards!

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

We had a great time down there at this event again. The weather was so much better than last year. I will take the cold over the blistering heat any day. Thankfully, we got a hotel for Friday night and did not have to be out there during that nasty storm!

The highlight of the event for me was getting passed by Tinker. As he came up behind me, he said "When you get a chance." I moved over to the right and waived him on. As he passed me, he shouted "Thanks, have a great ride". After he passed me, I picked up my pace a bit to try and ride behind him as long as I could. I lasted maybe 45 seconds with him in sight and then I blew up. But, it was worth it because that guy rides soooooo smooth!!!

I got passed a lot in this event and everyone was pretty cool for the most part. There were a few that did not say a word or made some very tight passes, but nothing too bad.

What we did notice took place at the awards. When they called up 2nd and 3rd places of the 4-Man Category, there was a pretty big applause and cheers. But when they called up the Jetset Team in 1st place, all you heard was silence. I am not sure what that was about, but maybe the mountain bike community is trying to tell you something?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A quick question on photography of the event.

Early in the event I past a photographer in a location just past the start of the trail.

Later into the event I past another photographer close to the end of the lap just before the 90 degree left by the bottom end of the campsite.

Does anyone know if they were the same guy? Was there an official photographer with exclusive rights?

I've checked the Zazoosh website and can only find the first photographer shot. I'm pretty sure my race number was as visible on the second shot too.

Thanks in advance

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Quote Originally Posted by bik_ryder View Post
    But when they called up the Jetset Team in 1st place, all you heard was silence. I am not sure what that was about, but maybe the mountain bike community is trying to tell you something?
    So maybe I'm not alone. With all that money spent on Jets, Porches, Yachts, etc... I would figure some would go into the mountainbike community. Guess there does need to be a magazine for yuppies.

Oh yeah, JetSet, you still suck!!!!!

I bet the Green part of the name doesn't refer to the environment, but your wallets.

Also, clean up after your dogs, this is the second year in a row I've seen your dogs drop logs without someone picking them up.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

And Stinky Tire, I'm going for a ride.

Need more cowbell
    Jetset team didn't have a dog at the race.

mtbr member
    So maybe I'm not alone. With all that money spent on Jets, Porches, Yachts, etc... I would figure some would go into the mountainbike community. Guess there does need to be a magazine for yuppies.

Oh yeah, JetSet, you still suck!!!!!

I bet the Green part of the name doesn't refer to the environment, but your wallets.

Also, clean up after your dogs, this is the second year in a row I've seen your dogs drop logs without someone picking them up.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

And Stinky Tire, I'm going for a ride.
    Damn bro, I can understand getting upset with bikers with bad attitudes. But what's up with the "you make more money than me, so you suck" attitude? Kind of petty, don't you think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Who the F#%@ is this Birdass that spewing all the BS. Shut up and ride your bike and quit worring about what other people drive or how they live. You seem to puff your chest out when at the keyboard. If you have an issue go up to the person you have a problem with at the next event and tell them instead of spouting here. What is your name so we know who has the issue?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Reply to Dirt Head>>>By researching his previous post, we determined Birddss is DELETED BY MODERATOR (Please leave real names out of public posts thank you) a back of the pack single speeder". From the looks of his results and lack of race history, it appears he is very new to the sport and doesn't have any idea who or what he is talking about.
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 11-13-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Posting of name - deleted

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Reply to Dirt Head>>>By researching his previous post, we determined Birddss is DELETED BY MODERATOR (Please leave real names out of public posts thank you) a back of the pack single speeder". From the looks of his results and lack of race history, it appears he is very new to the sport and doesn't have any idea who or what he is talking about.
    An illustration of how not to help your cause.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    What have I learned.

1. MTBR is not a good place to name call.

2. People are willing to hunt you down if you do call them a name.

3. Mountain biking is better than MTBR.

Reply to Dirt Head>>> a back of the pack single speeder". From the looks of his results and lack of race history, it appears he is very new to the sport and doesn't have any idea who or what he is talking about.
    DFL is always better than DNF.

Apparently I'm very new to the sport and don't know what I'm talking about, even though I've been in over 50 races and have multiple medals. Even a 1st in state 2 years ago, in the "back of the pack" SingleSpeed category.

5. I still don't like team JetSet.

6. I need to keep to myself and I don't know what I'm talking about.

7. Racing is not as fun as riding.

8. Males who shave their legs should not be trusted.

9. SingleSpeeders are much nicer than they look.

10. I spend too much time on MTBR.

Oh yeah, and for those willing to hunt me down, don't look too hard, I'll be around.

Rhino
    I can confirm BirdSS is NOT a Back of the Pack Racer.

-Rhino
    B.P.R. AZ

Kathleen in AZ
    And here I thought the AZ board was all yawns of late.... Hard to believe the good stuff was hiding in a racing thread!! Thanks for the Monday lunch-time office entertainment.

mtbr member
    What have I learned.

3. Mountain biking is better than MTBR.

4. DFL is always better than DNF.

Apparently I'm very new to the sport and don't know what I'm talking about, even though I've been in over 50 races and have multiple medals. Even a 1st in state 2 years ago, in the "back of the pack" SingleSpeed category.

5. I still don't like team JetSet.

6. I need to keep to myself and I don't know what I'm talking about.

7. Racing is not as fun as riding.

8. Males who shave their legs should not be trusted.

9. SingleSpeeders are much nicer than they look.

10. I spend too much time on MTBR.

Oh yeah, and for those willing to hunt me down, don't look too hard, I'll be around.
    You forgot "it's not about the bike you ride (or number of gears you have or where you place or how much money you make or if you race to have fun or to win), we're all bikers."

BTW, I'm a leg-shaving, single speed riding, back of the pack, left-wing pinko who lives paycheck to paycheck.

how much for your sister
    leg-shaving, single speed riding, back of the pack, left-wing pinko who lives paycheck to paycheck.
    Damn, and I thought I was the only one... at least in AZ

Monocog Masher
    What have I learned.

Yeah, probably not a good idea to name call a 1%er with billions of dollars in their bank account.

rdub
    And is being DFL really better than DNFing? I'm not so sure. If anyone in my crew finished DFL, I'd never let them hear the end of it. I'd inscribe it on their headstone after they died. "He was a good man, but...."

mtbr member
    What does dfl stand for?

rdub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazelem View Post
    What does dfl stand for?
    Dead Fing Last

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    On a positive note - I won a Baja Design Strykr II light at the 24 Hours of Fury - its for sale - asking $200.00. Add is posted in the MTBR classified.

I my opinion, it is better to be DFL than DNF'ing. If you DNF, then you quit.

A wise man once said: "To finish first, you first have to finish."

David: Why are you selling that light? I so wanted to win one of those lights.

mtbr member
    DNF is more likely because of a castastrofic failure to your bike. Usually not because of someone just giving up! I would take it DNF over a DFL !!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bik_ryder View Post
    I my opinion, it is better to be DFL than DNF'ing. If you DNF, then you quit.

A wise man once said: "To finish first, you first have to finish."

David: Why are you selling that light? I so wanted to win one of those lights.
    Because David is one of those 1%er's that has more money then he can ever spend and more light sets then he can ever use.

Just kidding! Sorry Dave. I couldn't resist. He is a believer in the all powerful, wonderful world of Magic Shine and doesn't need three lights. Some one should help him out and make an offer on it!

Rhino
    postx2

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by fattirebliss View Post
    DNF is more likely because of a castastrofic failure to your bike. Usually not because of someone just giving up! I would take it DNF over a DFL !!!
    DNF is giving up. You are failing to use one of the those three gears listed in your signature. Walk.

"Dead Last Doesn't Mean Loser" - B.P.R.