travelling to scottsdale in Oct.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

travelling to scottsdale in Oct.

Any interesting riding out near Scottsdale? I'm thinking about extending a biz trip a few days. Easyish cross country's about my style. Rather climb hills than bomb down them.

I'd probably have to rent a bike, rent a car, etc. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it.

I live in a city so any chance to get to ride somewhere with some nice trails is welcome.

Thankx

im4Gsus
    check the "visitors read here first - local riding advice" thread. it's got a lot of good info in it. from scottsdale, some options are mcdowell mtn park (several trails) and trail-100 with many options too.
    check again when you get here, often the locals post rides that you can join.
    K
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfereeno
    Any interesting riding out near Scottsdale? I'm thinking about extending a biz trip a few days. Easyish cross country's about my style. Rather climb hills than bomb down them.

I'd probably have to rent a bike, rent a car, etc. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it.

I live in a city so any chance to get to ride somewhere with some nice trails is welcome.

Thankx
    Oh-freaking-yeah, there's great riding. See my 'Lost Dog/Sunrise' post in the Visitors sticky. Nothing technical, but great riding.

Definitely worth it to rent the goods. Post up when you're here and you'll hook up with someone.
    Ride more; post less...

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Yeah the 'Triple Bypass' ride that is soon to be planned would be a good one! JK

There's some fun stuff out that way...

Steep Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    Yeah the 'Triple Bypass' ride that is soon to be planned would be a good one!
    Yes, a triple by-pass will help you sleep during the return flight.
    Watch this forumn as the date approaches as there will be a ride gathering somewhere.

I see you are from NYC. I'll be visiting Manhattan for a week in Oct. Do you know of a place where I can rent a road/cruiser/mtb bike? I'll be near Central Park and would like to ride as much of it as possible in a day or two. Do you have any other NYC bike related suggestions or links? Btw, I am not interested in heavy traffic or bike messenger routes :-)

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by AZClydesdale; 08-22-2006 at 08:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    I see you are from NYC. I'll be visiting Manhattan for a week in Oct. Do you know of a place where I can rent a road/cruiser/mtb bike? I'll be near Central Park and would like to ride as much of it as possible in a day or two. Do you have any other NYC bike related suggestions or links? Btw, I am not interested in heavy traffic or bike messenger routes :-)

Thanks,
    Steve
    Riding in Central Park is wonderful when there's no traffic. You pretty much ride on the roadway. Bikes aren't allowed on the pedestrian paths but depending on the time of day, no one usually cares.

Car free hours used to be 10am-4pm weekdays. Then all night after 7pm. And car free all weekend. They may have expanded it a bit now. It's a 6.2 mile loop with a few small hills and plenty to look at, water, food, etc. You'll see some great bikes.

Another nice ride is to ride along the west side bike path. There are bike paths along about 70% of the perimiter of the island. But the best and most complete stretch is along the west side and goes from the GW bridge to battery park which is about 12 miles. That's a flat easy ride best just for sight seeing.

If you're here the last Friday of the month, there's a huge Critical Mass halloween ride. Never done that myself. The cops seem a little hostile to the CM rides lately.

As far as renting bikes: this summer there have been a new bunch of guys who setup rental bikes just south of the park pretty much every nice day. Cruisers and mountain bikes - and they look decent. These guys seem to congregate near the Time Warner building (Columbus Circle which is 59th and bway) and always seem to have enough bikes & helmets. There are plenty of bike shops that rent bikes too.

as far as links
    http://www.transalt.org/
    http://www.nyc.org/
    http://www.centralparknyc.org/

feel free to send me an email if you have more q's.

If you see a guy on a red calfee fixed gear, that'd be me :-)

Enjoy!
    -Bill
    [email protected]

Steep Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfereeno
    If you see a guy on a red calfee fixed gear, that'd be me :-)
    Thanks for the great information Bill! I'll be there Oct 10-16.

There are plenty of Sonoran Desert rides within riding distance (or a short car drive) of Scottsdale. Full moon night riding is truly something to experience. If you don't have lights you can probaby borrow a pair. This is a friendly AZ forumn who loves out of town visitors. Stay tuned.

Steve
    ** Obey gravity. It's the law. **

Members who have read this thread: 0