mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Traveling to Phoenix late Jan-hook me up with the good rides?

Traveling from Oregon for a meeting in Phoenix. A couple of us dont play golf so, we thought wed take a couple rips through the desert or something. I think I got a demo firebird 29 lined up. Where should I take that beast?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    South Mountain

Low speed, High Drag
    South Mountain is what you seek, Oregonians!!
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Take that Bird to Hawes!

mtbr member
    Pivot Firebird? So Mo for sure. All the stuff off the top of Mtn. Just rode hawes last night and while the trails are good SoMo and the firebird a good match. Hawes is good you want less chunk and more smooth, tight steep stuff with some b-line jumps here and there.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Pivot Firebird? So Mo for sure. All the stuff off the top of Mtn. Just rode hawes last night and while the trails are good SoMo and the firebird a good match. Hawes is good you want less chunk and more smooth, tight steep stuff with some b-line jumps here and there.
    I kinda think I should do both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gruno View Post
    I kinda think I should do both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How many days do you have? You can speed a 5 days a SoMo and still not ride everything. Hawes is a good change up. Where are you staying? Phoenix is big. Took me 1 hour to drive from Hawes back home last night and I never left "town". From one end of town to the other. So where you are staying will impact how much time you have to ride.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Not the same type of riding as South Mountain but if you want to see the natural beauty of the Sonoran desert, it's hard to beat Browns Ranch. This is not techy riding, more like fast and flowy. It's one of the prettier riding areas and you can connect trails all the way to Toms Thumb and McDowell Mt Park if you like distance. The east side of Phoenix Mountain Preserve has a little of both and you get the feeling you are immersed in the desert even though you are always close to a street. Trail 100 is the main drag but the best rides are off of it on things like 8, 1a, VOAZ, Zipper etc. It kind of does depend on where you renting and where you are staying. The Preserve is really centrally located. SoMo is South-East Valley. Browns is North-East Valley (N. Scottsdale). If you find yourself more West, Ocotillo/Sidewinder loop is fun, good climbs, fun downhills.