mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Is The Transept Trail a Worthwhile Ride

Today my wife and I went out to check out the MASSIVE amount of work do by local volunteers and the USFS on the user created Transept trail. The trail was closed for six years and finally it's being brought into System Status.

The total trail length from the Hiline intersection at the north end to Verde Valley School Rd. at the south end is approximately 3.13 miles. While walking the trail you could tell the trail has been used regularly by the hiking community.

Prior to the closing of the trail there was a 15' drop off the upper rock area that was impossible to ride. Today Lars and USFS built a rock ramp off the rock band to the lower barely rideable Red Rock off camber slickrock section. I don't doubt the 15'ers will ride the new ramp, but it has a tricky entrance at the top that would give me pause in riding the ramp. If you screw up you may not be happy.

The downhill section from the new ramp down to the Verde Valley School Rd. has numerous techie sections that should make that section a super fun section for the 5%'er. group. Other lesser skilled riders will need to walk some of those short techie sections.

I did a six minute video ( https://youtu.be/LmbblfMN7EM ) to show what the current trail tread is like. The picture is a before and after shot of the new ramp off the upper trail section.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is The Transcept Trail a Worthwhile Ride-transcept-ramp.jpg  

Last edited by Switchblade2; 11-30-2018 at 12:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Lars seems to believe the Transept trail is on par with the Triple H trails. This means if you are in the Village of Oak Creek and are looking for an exciting Loop you can jump on Slim Shady at the Red Aguave and ride to Hiline. Hang a left and ride up to the viewpoint where you look down to you left (south) and you will see Transcept.

Follow Transept and after 3 miles you will hit Verde Valley School Rd.. Hang a left and ride the pavement back to your starting destination.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is The Transcept Trail a Worthwhile Ride-abda8bfb-9490-4cca-ab06-1ea3e0982c96.jpg  

Last edited by Switchblade2; 11-30-2018 at 12:27 AM.

Meatbomb
    He's talking to himself again.....TD will reply next..

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

only closed for bikers?

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    T While walking the trail you could tell the trail has been used regularly by the hiking community.
    Agree - Definitely looked liked it has not been closed for the last 6 years

It will be interesting to see how much they clean up those looser climbs or reroute them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Old ROMPer View Post
    Agree - Definitely looked liked it has not been closed for the last 6 years

It will be interesting to see how much they clean up those looser climbs or reroute them.
    Old you are thinking like me about the loose climbs. I am also wondering how those will be improved to provide a better user experience for lesser skilled riders.

I think they either armor the tread nicely or take out the rocks in the tread and put compacted crush in the holes. I donít know if a reroute is feasible unless they did something with two tight turns.

mtbr member
    Scenery is spectacular - it's Sedona, afterall - but I have to say it's not a worthwhile ride for me. Not at my skill or fitness level, anyway. I "rode" about 2.5 miles in from the south end. Probably walked a quarter of that. It didn't help that I was tired from a 20-mile loop over in the Dry Creek area earlier in the day, but mostly the somewhat sustained steep, ledgy stuff was over my head. Much more fun on the way back, especially the final half-mile downhill, but I still walked four short sections.

I don't mind some hike a bike, but the problem with the trail is that it doesn't connect to anything but Hiline, and requires a paved road ride to get back to your vehicle. Road riding in traffic is not my thing.

For a very fit, skilled rider who doesn't mind riding pavement a Hiline-Transcept "loop" could be fun. The absence of crowds is nice. I saw two other riders and a four hikers from the neighborhood. The rest of Sedona was a zoo. If I do it again it'll be in hiking boots.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Scenery is spectacular - it's Sedona, afterall - but I have to say it's not a worthwhile ride for me. Not at my skill or fitness level, anyway. I "rode" about 2.5 miles in from the south end. Probably walked a quarter of that. It didn't help that I was tired from a 20-mile loop over in the Dry Creek area earlier in the day, but mostly the somewhat sustained steep, ledgy stuff was over my head. Much more fun on the way back, especially the final half-mile downhill, but I still walked four short sections.

I don't mind some hike a bike, but the problem with the trail is that it doesn't connect to anything but Hiline, and requires a paved road ride to get back to your vehicle. Road riding in traffic is not my thing.

For a very fit, skilled rider who doesn't mind riding pavement a Hiline-Transcept "loop" could be fun. The absence of crowds is nice. I saw two other riders and a four hikers from the neighborhood. The rest of Sedona was a zoo. If I do it again it'll be in hiking boots.
    I like your post velo it was very insightful and should be posted in Trailforks as a ride report for a rider of your skill level doing Transcept. I was wondering what it would be like to start the ride from the south end.
    I did a ride today with a bunch of my local buddies on the whole ride we didnít see any other riders. Local knowledge is helpful on busy days in Paradise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    It was wonderful to have the self-appointed Sedona Ambassador as our guide; and shuttler no less! The scenry; spectacular; the trails; formidable; and the washes; worthy of the 5%ers.
    Thanks SB2. Sedona continues to rank # 1 for me; over mpab...and, yes, over Gold Canyon too.
    Cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    It was wonderful to have the self-appointed Sedona Ambassador as our guide; and shuttler no less! The scenry; spectacular; the trails; formidable; and the washes; worthy of the 5%ers.
    Thanks SB2. Sedona continues to rank # 1 for me; over mpab...and, yes, over Gold Canyon too.
    Cheers.
    TS
    TS thanks for the compliment. It was great spending Thanksgiving with you a Cath. I will head down to Gold Canyon soon to enjoy the new trails you guys have created.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post

I rode Transept last week. Had ridden it many years ago but didn't remember much of it. I agree it doesn't connect well which sucks, because I do like the trail especially in it's relatively raw/narrow current condition. Hopefully the MTB crowds continue to flock to hiline and leave this one alone.

I did a figure 8 loop starting at the ranger station, pedalling 179 into town, then Slim Shady - Hiline - Transept then back to town on pavement, and then I checked out Big park loop to VOC loop to Hot loop. First mile or so of VOC loop was good old school sedona riding, then it turned into a 1/2 mi of shitty hike a bike followed by 3/4 mi of shitty cobble strewn descending. Hot loop was a lot better than I expected and was pretty fun/challenging/scenic. Doesn't connect well either and probably won't ride it again because of that. I will ride Transept again but maybe as an out and back to where it starts to drop down. Hiline is a hard trail to pass up riding.